Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #46
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I have only seen speed cameras in school zones that are only active when the "children present" speed reduction is in effect, which I don't see as objectionable. Are they being used anywhere else?
Every major signaled intersection in the greater Portland Metro area, Seattle, L.A., Denver, and many more. The tiny KS town I live in even has them; ready and waiting for the day when the legislature decides to allow them to be used.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #47
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Every major signaled intersection in the greater Portland Metro area, Seattle, L.A., Denver, and many more. The tiny KS town I live in even has them; ready and waiting for the day when the legislature decides to allow them to be used.
I think your confusing traffic cameras used to monitor traffic conditions with speed enforcement cameras.

Do you have any legitimate sources that confirm that they have the capability to be used in that manner?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #48
Queenie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Holy smoke! The spray is $49.99. That's pretty expensive, but I suppose if it works once and saves you a ticket, then the cost is worthwhile.

The motorcycle plate is only $23. That's not bad at all, and I'm seriously considering buying one.
Illegal in Texas and alot of other states. I'll stop you for having one of these...
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #49
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 6,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
Illegal in Texas and alot of other states. I'll stop you for having one of these...
Aww, come on!!!

Anyway, I decided I really didn't need one. I don't run red lights. Ever. It's a great way to get t-boned on a bike. I also don't speed... much. If I get caught, I get caught.

I do have an honest question, though: the cover is clear with no distortion, so unless you hit me with a flash, how would you know by simply looking at it that it's designed to do what it does?

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Mr_Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #50
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
Oh, one more question: where exactly do you patrol? You know, so I can wave when I go through.

There's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, then there's the truth!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #51
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,206
In NJ, they are starting to use the red light camera's for speed enforcement. Maybe that will allow them to lay off some police.
There was a story on TV that had a AAA service truck get a speeding ticket, and those guys do not speed, and he was not speeding (the trucks have some sort of logger) and they eventualy got out of the ticket.
I think its still up in the air, but they will likely expand it to get the money without the cost of the police person and their pension...

Even if it does not work right, they still get the money.
I think we will eventualy be like Russia where you will have to PROVE you did not do something, loggers, camera's recording accidents, etc.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #52
Queenie
Adventurer

Quote:
Aww, come on!!!

Anyway, I decided I really didn't need one. I don't run red lights. Ever. It's a great way to get t-boned on a bike. I also don't speed... much. If I get caught, I get caught.

I do have an honest question, though: the cover is clear with no distortion, so unless you hit me with a flash, how would you know by simply looking at it that it's designed to do what it does?
Clear with no distortion and I won't stop you. Tinted, old and yellowed, or the clear that have a convex surface will get you stopped. Most of the time, people are not aware that they are illegal. They figure if they sell them in the store, that it's ok to have them on your plates. I can't remember the last time I actually wrote a ticket for one. I usually just educate the driver very nicely about it and they are happy to remove the cover. After I posted in this thread the other day, I did get one of the convex clear covers with the curved lines in the plastic that distorts the LP number unless you look straight at it. Imagine my surprise when that driver had 8 warrants for their arrest.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #53
Queenie
Adventurer

Quote:
Oh, one more question: where exactly do you patrol? You know, so I can wave when I go through.
I'm in the barely north of Dallas area.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #54
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
The original Triple Nickel...

NFE

Yes, how can I help you?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #55
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Thing is, with the new systems, that will likely get you pulled over because their gizmo could not read your tag.
That puts you into the suspect catagory.

I had a friend that was using a truck that mostly sat in his yard, with a dirty old tag and they pulled him over just because the gizmo could not read it.
If you tag can not be read, they think you are up to something big time.
If they want my plates clean, I'll gladly hand them a rag. Living on a poorly maintained dirt road, my vehicles are only clean after a good rain storm and I'd have no problem telling them that.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #56
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,749
Quote:
Thing is, with the new systems, that will likely get you pulled over because their gizmo could not read your tag.
That puts you into the suspect catagory.

I had a friend that was using a truck that mostly sat in his yard, with a dirty old tag and they pulled him over just because the gizmo could not read it.
If you tag can not be read, they think you are up to something big time.

Quote:
In NJ, they are starting to use the red light camera's for speed enforcement. Maybe that will allow them to lay off some police.
There was a story on TV that had a AAA service truck get a speeding ticket, and those guys do not speed, and he was not speeding (the trucks have some sort of logger) and they eventualy got out of the ticket.
I think its still up in the air, but they will likely expand it to get the money without the cost of the police person and their pension...

Even if it does not work right, they still get the money.
I think we will eventualy be like Russia where you will have to PROVE you did not do something, loggers, camera's recording accidents, etc.

Moral of this story....stay the fook out of Jersey, not that most of needed any additional reasons......
hooliken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #57
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Quote:
I'm in the barely north of Dallas area.
I appreciate the responses.

I doubt I'll be in the Dallas area anytime soon, but if you find yourself looking for some great riding in northern Arkansas, let me know. And when the ride is done, I'll buy the first cold one.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #58
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!

I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!

PR3s suck.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #59
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I think your confusing traffic cameras used to monitor traffic conditions with speed enforcement cameras.

Do you have any legitimate sources that confirm that they have the capability to be used in that manner?
Actually I was confusing them with red light cameras.
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...forcement.html

Better info on photo radar: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/30591
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote