ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #361
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bicyclist's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 434
Nice. I need that for my Versys.

Ya shoulda covered up that rusty hardware before ya took the pic!
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #362
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
Nice. I need that for my Versys.

Ya shoulda covered up that rusty hardware before ya took the pic!

I keep forgetting I am not a KLR rider!


Seriously, a 120K mile GS has a right to a spot or two of rust.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #363
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous
 
bwringer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Voila! No more need to dig out a flashlight to check the oil level. It’s not exactly pretty but that doesn’t matter since it’s hidden inside the belly pan.



Hoooooooooly shit, that's cool!
__________________
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2002 Suzuki Vstrom DL1000, Midnight Blue
2005 Kawasaki KLR685 - Turd II.2, The ReReTurdening
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #364
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,552
Vapor computer guard

Cnc cut 5/8" plate bonded to 1/8" alum bracket. They sell something similar but not exactly.

__________________
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #365
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Heart :o)
Oddometer: 3,297
Wanted to have a proper tool kit but didn't want to pay for that overpriced stuff. Decided to make my own one with a leftover jeans, and some other leftovers.

here is step by step:




The inner layer


assembling my tools for the space






finished product. Added some magnets to hold the folded thing together. Took me the afternoon and two beers
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post


Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #366
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer
 
triplenickel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Campbell River, BC. Fantasy Island
Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Took me the afternoon and two beers
Nice work but this ratio concerns me.
__________________
07 SE

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #367
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer
 
One Fat Roach's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: New Mexico
Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Wanted to have a proper tool kit but didn't want to pay for that overpriced stuff. Decided to make my own one with a leftover jeans, and some other leftovers.

here is step by step:




The inner layer


assembling my tools for the space






finished product. Added some magnets to hold the folded thing together. Took me the afternoon and two beers
Considering I just got my toolkit in the mail today, which I paid $80 for, this looks way better! Bravo
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman View Post
This is an adventure, not a field trip!!
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #368
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer
 
MiteyF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan... temporarily
Oddometer: 1,913
The girlfriend wanted bags for her DR, so I ordered a sheet of .063 and got to work! I have yet to silicone the seams and install weatherstripping, but she doesn't do much riding in the rain anyways.

Fuck $600 aluminum panniers, these cost me $30, and if she drops it and dents one, I'll just pull the rivets out and make a new panel!

Oh yeah, and they'll also be getting flush mounted turn signals as the bags interfere with the stock ones.



__________________
People tell me I have a motorcycle problem. I tell them, I may have problems, but motorcycles are the solution.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #369
tonusmaximus
maximus
 
tonusmaximus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: nky
Oddometer: 436
[QUOTE=MiteyF;21296272]The girlfriend wanted bags for her DR, so I ordered a sheet of .063 and got to work! I have yet to silicone the seams and install weatherstripping, but she doesn't do much riding in the rain anyways.

Fuck $600 aluminum panniers, these cost me $30.

Well how much for a set for my Dr350? Nice work!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
tonusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #370
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
The girlfriend wanted bags for her DR, so I ordered a sheet of .063 and got to work! I have yet to silicone the seams and install weatherstripping, but she doesn't do much riding in the rain anyways.

Fuck $600 aluminum panniers, these cost me $30, and if she drops it and dents one, I'll just pull the rivets out and make a new panel!

Oh yeah, and they'll also be getting flush mounted turn signals as the bags interfere with the stock ones.




Not bad for home made!

Is there a reason you have them opening forward? Seems like if you forget to latch one it could fly open and damage it.

Jim ;brow
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #371
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer
 
MiteyF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan... temporarily
Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonusmaximus View Post
Well how much for a set for my Dr350? Nice work!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
You'd have to build your own rack (I've sold both my DR350's) but it wouldn't be much... shoot me a PM if you're really interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Not bad for home made!

Is there a reason you have them opening forward? Seems like if you forget to latch one it could fly open and damage it.

Jim ;brow
I like to be able to get into my bags while sitting on the bike. Grab some sunglasses, switch gloves, grab a sip of water at a stop light. Not to mention the fact that her DR200 doesn't like much over 55, so there's no real danger of high speed gear dumps
__________________
People tell me I have a motorcycle problem. I tell them, I may have problems, but motorcycles are the solution.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #372
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Rhome Texas
Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
I like to be able to get into my bags while sitting on the bike. Grab some sunglasses, switch gloves, grab a sip of water at a stop light. Not to mention the fact that her DR200 doesn't like much over 55, so there's no real danger of high speed gear dumps

I was thinking the rear hinges was crazy at first, but after you explained it, it made so much more sense. In fact I'm thinking of adding hinges to the rear of my new panniers. I have been waffling on using detachable latches on both ends, but worry that if one pops open then the lids on my boxes can fly off and be lost without me knowing it. I have a hatchet and other camping items strapped to the underside of my lids. So losing them will mean losing some expensive equipment.

And come to think of it, I'm always wanting something out of my suitcase panniers at stop lights, so having them hinge at the rear and latch at the front will make it more practical. The main reason I am building new top loaders is the suitcase style are just so hard to load. And forget getting into them from the saddle.
And I can check on top lid boxes security while riding by just running my hand over the front latch to make sure they are latched securely.

Think I'm going to redo them before I powder coat them!
__________________
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro

Curtis in Texas screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 01:48 PM
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #373
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer
 
MiteyF's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Michigan... temporarily
Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in Texas View Post
I was thinking the rear hinges was crazy at first, but after you explained it, it made so much more sense. In fact I'm thinking of adding hinges to the rear of my new panniers. I have been waffling on using detachable latches on both ends, but worry that if one pops open then the lids on my boxes can fly off and be lost without me knowing it. I have a hatchet and other camping items strapped to the underside of my lids. So losing them will mean losing some expensive equipment.

And come to think of it, I'm always wanting something out of my suitcase panniers at stop lights, so having them hinge at the rear and latch at the front will make it more practical. The main reason I am building new top loaders is the suitcase style are just so hard to load. And forget getting into them from the saddle.
And I can check on top lid boxes security while riding by just running my hand over the front latch to make sure they are latched securely.

Think I'm going to redo them before I powder coat them!
Sometimes it's the simplest of ideas that make the biggest differences. Glad I could help :-)
__________________
People tell me I have a motorcycle problem. I tell them, I may have problems, but motorcycles are the solution.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #374
Backonthebike
Giddy up
 
Backonthebike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Sometimes it's the simplest of ideas that make the biggest differences. Glad I could help :-)
Only problem being Mitey, now that I have seen your boxes I have been Googling Sheet Metal Brakes and aluminium sheet retailers instead of doing what I'm getting paid for.

Great job, and I'm in agreement with the front opener idea; maybe the left one as a front opener (for your free hand) and the right one the conventional way, just in case.

Cheers
Tim
__________________
(NSFW) http://timothydunn.com.au/
I have come to accept that my role in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Backonthebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #375
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Rhome Texas
Oddometer: 202
I called a Aircraft Mechanic Friend of mine yesterday and started talking about using my sheet metal brake bender on Aircraft Aluminum and got a good lesson on the right way and wrong way to bend aluminum. Found out my sheet metal brake won't work on aluminum too well. He's got some Airplane skin he's going to let me have to see if I can make some boxes like these. My next Door neighbor has a bender in his airplane hanger behind his house with the proper radius feet I can use for the corners. So I'm going to try my hand at them.

The 30 MM Navy heavy steel ammo cans I have for the latest set of panniers are heavy. My KLR is already a pig, so saving some weight would be nice. Thinking of making the boxes to fit the Metal Ammo Lids. They have some nice seals built into them. and I've already added equipment loops and racks for the hatchet, hunting knife and other stuff!


I've got a tubing bender and make all my own racks and crash bars, so I'll just adapt the new boxes to my old racks. Well, actually I just made myself a new set of racks this Winter for the KLR and added some features I wanted. Like a 1.5 gallon spare fuel can behind the left pannier and a tool box holder behind the right pannier. Plus a rifle scabbard rack for my 30-30. Oh and a removable hitch for my one wheel trailer I built this Winter. Pulls great BTY!

The rack I built is stout enough I can pick my bike up by it, WHILE LOADED, and not hurt it!

Had to drag a bike back up a mountain once and we destroyed his pannier rack doing it. Lesson learned!
__________________
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014