Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #826
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post

Oh also, once I triggered the starter motor on a carburetted car by simply getting the wire from a speaker out the back and putting the car in ignition and hooking it up between the positive terminal and the starter's solenoid, kicked over like a charm.

And that is essentially how I almost ran over myself last year, but escaped with only a broken tibial plateau...........ouch...............long sory, but stupid hurts!

Maybe we need a McGruber thread too, now THAT would be interesting!

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #827
this is a RV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Or maybe a Dumb Macgyver tricks that almost killed me
this is a RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #828
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by this is a RV View Post
Or maybe a Dumb Macgyver tricks that almost killed me

That is what McGruber is.

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #829
freax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
And that is essentially how I almost ran over myself last year, but escaped with only a broken tibial plateau...........ouch...............long sory, but stupid hurts!

lol congrats.

This was an automatic, and it was in park with the handbrake on, and I had steel capped shoes on SO at least if I was run over they could identify me by my lack of good hygiene and foot odour.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #830
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Medical McGuyver

My friends and I were riding through the mountains of SW Cambodia. One of our party crashed and suffered a fractured left wrist. I needed a soft splint, solid enough to support the injury yet flexible enough to allow him to ride himself and his bike out another 200 klm.

I requested the injured guy drink the remaining 1/2 litre of water to empty his 3 litre Camelbac bladder and wash down 1000 mg of T3 for pain. Next we laid his forearm and wrist on the slightly inflated air splint/Camelbac bladder and loosely wrapped it up with a large Ace bandage. Then I added air through the drink hose until firm, but not too tight to cut off circulation. I bent the hose double and used a ziptie to keep the air from bleeding out. We were then ready to make our way out to civilisation. A stop every 30 minutes to check the splint for proper support and bandage adjustment kept everything in proper order.

Much more user friendly than sticks and duct tape.
KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #831
ThadeusVenture
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Coffee bag gas can

I'm sure this is already on here somewhere, but next time you are at a catered breakfast/corporate meeting/morning seminar/etc. where coffee is served in one of those big box carriers . . .

Save the silvery bag on the inside, and wash it out well. Fold and save in your emergency kit. These make a good emergency gas can when you run out of juice and have to hike to a gas station.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #832
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
This is one of my alltime favorite shows,I always loved the ones when he had to out smart Murdoch.Its too bad it went off the air I would of enjoyed a few more years and episodes from it.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #833
freax
Adventurer

Yeah same here, tho he did give us Stargate SG1 in return :)
Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #834
MapMaster
Human Compass

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post

We already have one, and it is:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401256

Maritime Meander Ride Report

For Whom the (Wedding) Bells Toll
MapMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #835
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Back in 2001 when I was laid up w mono/hep A for 2 months I think i saw every episode on tv land.No matter how many times I see them I dont get tired of any of the episodes.I also like the one where he had to stop the nuclear reactor from melting down. I remember pops coming home from work back in 91 and told me at dinner the actor that played pete thorton was losing his eye sight in real life so they were gonna end the series because of that.That was a sad day for me as a kid to hear that about one of the shows I had to watch every week like religion.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #836
freax
Adventurer

Geez, Its really sad to hear that, but I would've taken a replacement over axing the entire show, they could've detailed out his death or blindness and given a replacement quite easily.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #837
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,618
Just got back from a hard dual sport ride, a buddy on a 450 EXC lost the pin and one brake pad off the rear caliper. I found the pad, but 5 guys looking could not find the pin. We first tried an allen wrench, fit was good, fairly snug, but we couldn't affix the allen wrench so that the 90 degree end would not try and contact the spokes, and it was too long to use the other way round. I had some heavy gauge wire in my kit, like coat hanger wire, I cut 4 equal length pieces, he put all 4 pieces in the caliper pin holes, and bent both end of all 4 pieces, and he rode all day on that little fix,

here's MedicJeff towards the end of the day.

AustinJake screwed with this post 04-13-2013 at 12:47 PM
AustinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #838
freax
Adventurer

Nice one!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #839
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 156
Once while passing through Oregon,on my 75 R75 the ground wire broke off the soldered on end no torch in my bags but only 1/4 mile away was a hardware store that had 4 gauge bare copper wire. a couple of loops at the ends of the wire and a new ground wire it was there for several years before I got around to buying the official one .Not lazy just busy riding
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #840
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMbageera View Post
I requested the injured guy drink the remaining 1/2 litre of water to empty his 3 litre Camelbac bladder and wash down 1000 mg of T3 for pain. Next we laid his forearm and wrist on the slightly inflated air splint/Camelbac bladder and loosely wrapped it up with a large Ace bandage. Then I added air through the drink hose until firm, but not too tight to cut off circulation.
That was friggin genius dude. Good on you