Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #16
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
I alos moved from a F650 dakar to the 990.

My .02.

- I have the stock bashplate and have never had an issue and my bike has taken a beating.

-knobby front tire vs the trailwinds.

- I ride in the deep sand (baja) some and I wish I had a steering dampener. My bike loaded in the deep sand will saw back in forth wildly.

- I did upgrade the headlight to the euro housing and the 50w HID's. Well worth it but you may have more options than I did in 2008/9.

- I think you will find the front suspension too soft. Need bigger springs and re-valving or you will be hitting bottom all of the time. Offroad.

- get the higher front fender if you ride much mud at all. It looks better too (to me).

- do the CJ oil change hose mod soon.

I imagine that is a trip or two you will know better what you want/need.

Figure by 20K miles you will have to do the fuel pump, the water pump, sprockets and chain. Other than that it is all good.

DD
Hey man! Finally, someone else who pulled the trigger and got out of the mid-pack big bikes, It's only a small step as far as weight goes, but man... the power and usefulness that comes with it is immense! I am happy I made the leap and am gagging to get home and ride this thing hard!

The bashplate is gonna be swapped for sure as I piled up my Dakar one in the first week I had it. I didn't cave the case, but was close. I'd rather not take the chances with the LC8 so I'll armor the underside. This pic is a good example of how I treat my bikes when I'm riding,

I'll probably not do too much loaded sand riding, but if the future plans change I'll be looking at a dampener again. Most of the off road I do is tight tracks, rocky terrain, high altitude mountain riding with a smattering of high speed gravel roads to and from home.

So far the stock lights seem to be enough for me, but that Baja Designs 4 LED light bar might work it's way onto the bike if I need more. Another future what-if, lol!

I guess I should start looking into fork threads and spring choices for the 990... I ended up doing the same with the Dakar and with the extra heftiness of the 990 it shouldn't surprise me that I will need more spring.

White high front fender is on the "to order" list.

This oil change hose mod? http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...tank-hose-kit/

Really? 20K and replace fuel/water pumps? Sprockets I can see cause I beat them up and I'll be surprised if I get 20K out of this first set myself... Never changed either the water pump or fuel pump on the Dakar... Time to get reading again!

I take it this would be a suitable water pump rebuild kit? http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...-cover-gasket/

Thanks a TON for your input man!

Joe
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Here's one more quick question... Blanking plates and removal of the SAS. Do, or do not for a bike that will live mostly off road?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
And suspension should be first on any off-roaders mod list...
Easily the best money spent.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #19
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Here's one more quick question... Blanking plates and removal of the SAS. Do, or do not for a bike that will live mostly off road?
If you're ditching the stock exhaust theres no reason to leave it on.

PG007
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
If you're ditching the stock exhaust theres no reason to leave it on.
Good point. Have been scouring through the many threads on canisterectomies and removal of the SAS on both the 950 and the 990. Seems pretty straight forward to me. I didn't have to do it to the Dakar as I got lucky and got one new in a box that didn't have the smog crap on it and a larger fuel tank instead. You win some and lose some, lol!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post
Good point. Have been scouring through the many threads on canisterectomies and removal of the SAS on both the 950 and the 990. Seems pretty straight forward to me. I didn't have to do it to the Dakar as I got lucky and got one new in a box that didn't have the smog crap on it and a larger fuel tank instead. You win some and lose some, lol!
Sounds like a good win there.

PG007
Old 04-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #22
mikeegee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
I thought the only reason to remove the SAS on the 990 would be for the weight, since it's only used when the motor is not in closed loop.

Not the same as removing it from the 950s.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #23
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeegee View Post
I thought the only reason to remove the SAS on the 990 would be for the weight, since it's only used when the motor is not in closed loop.

Not the same as removing it from the 950s.
Yep, mostly a weight issue and the leaner I can make the 990, the easier a transition from the 650 it will be for me. 5lbs, especially up high in the fairings, is a fair amount of weight. If all it takes me is a couple hours, 2 rubber plugs, 2 one way valves, a bit of hose, some beer and a K&N breather, I'm all over it. I will be tearing it down in 6 weeks when I get home anyway for other farkles, mods and the 1000km break-in oil change. It's just one more chance for me to get more familiar with the innards of the bike too,
Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #24
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

I really only got to play with the bike a couple of days. One was pure pavement and about -5C for 120 or so kms and another was a more decent 50/50 ride in +6C for 200kms including a wee creek crossing... Not enough to form any kind of opinion except, "Holy sh!t that's a lot of power." and "This suspension in standard setting is uber soft...", LOL!

I did get the luggage rack/rear armor/soft bag support fitted:

And yes, of course I know I will be having it off at least once to do the pipes and other small adjustments. :) Also got to fit some 2" risers which drastically enhance rider position for me and stand up riding feels almost normal now. I may have to get some longer lines and replumb some of the electrical for a bit more rise though... I still feel a bit forward of center and when dragging the rear end down a hill I feel like I can't lean back enough. Again, need to ride it more to really form that opinion. A soft suspension will make a guy feel unbalanced and until I tune that part of the bike to exactly what I prefer off road then I won't know what to do next.

No other mods yet, :( I am 7000 miles from home and counting down the weeks till I get to fly home and ride this thing like I stole it, lol!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #25
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Laugh Amassing a parts list...

Compiling a list of doodads and farkles, etc I'll be ordering to arrive home before I get there:

CJ Designs:

- Bash plate and SS relocation bracket combo (Best by far imho for my needs)
- Oil Tank Hose Kit (Did something similar on my Dakar to ease the process)
- ECU Tune Cable (For future use)
- Fuel Pump Rebuild Kit (For future use also)
- Water Pump Rebuild Kit (Also future use, :) )

Hammerhead (DS Warehouse):

- Shifter with -5mm tip (I break these fairly often and it's always nice to have a stock one as back-up in the shop)
- Brake Lever Tip - (the tiny stock ones are sometimes a bit fragile and I snap them off)

KTM Parts (High Fender White Build):

- Brake Hose Guide #60013025100
- Brake Hose Guide Rubber Grommet #60013025050
- White KTM Fender #7730801000020
- Spacers For Fender x 4 #54808020000
- Fender Bolts x 4 #0014060203
- Black 85 Fork Guards #4700109400030
- Bolts For Fork Guards x 4 #59001092050

Mirrors:

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

Meant to get a pair for the Dakar for sooooo long, lol! Now I will finally do it. I broke enough of those $28 mirror nuts off before constantly carrying a 14mm and 15mm wrench to remove mirrors on trail rides to know that these will pay for themselves in no time. I can live with a bit of vibration after coming from a single cylinder. It's no big deal to me.

Wings Exhaust:

Yep, changed my mind about the FMF's. I might pay a restocking fee on them, but that's what I get for not fully researching my choices. lol! Having removable db killers WITH spark arrestors is about the best thing ever when riding more than just dirt or pavement. I had this ability with the Staintune I put on the Dakar and I would miss it. Add to that the weight savings and lack of heat build up in the new pipes and it's worth even the price our Canadian dealer charges for them. Much less than Akra's too. I chose the NOS shape with naked tips. After thinking about it and looking at a lot of pics of the pipes I think the odd shape suits the angularity of the 990 better than the oval. On the Dakar the oval was great, but the lines of the bike are much smoother. I'll also be getting blanking plates with the pipes for the SAS removal/canisterectomy. I can pick up the one way valves and rubber plugs I need locally when I get home.

Grip Heaters:

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...-grip-kit.html

This will be best for me as I prefer the slimmer dirt style grips over other thicker options out there. I'll probably put these on when I do the bar swap to some ProTapers.

Tires:

Once I burn up the 908's that are on stock I'll fit Michelin T63's. I've had great luck with these tires in the last 4 sets I put on the Dakar. They wear great on AND off road and I was getting 10K+ kms out of a set. They are just the right amount of knob for where I ride, clean themselves out nicely in the muck and aren't as knob-flexy on pavement as the Dunlop 606's or 908's. Plus, they are 30% cheaper! They are, however, just as loud, :( I can source these locally in Calgary so I won't worry about this until I see belts poking through the 908's. (I'm kidding! Maybe...)

Still on the drawing board:

- Still eyeing the BRP Scotts damper + 1.25" risers. It would solve the bar riser issue plain and simple and at the same time I would have the ability to use the Scotts damper IF I wanted to, or not depending on what I'm riding. In the end it's not a bling issue and money isn't really that tight. It's an expense I could bear if I'm going to see some functional return.

- Footpegs... Been scouring for a week now and haven't turned up anything really useful for lowered footpegs except these: http://www.motobau.de/ It's not a LOT of drop, but might be all I require once I get the proper rise to the bars that I like. The less I have to move my mass up on the bike while standing, the better! I had a lowering kit on my Dakar that substantially improved weight distribution when standing up and also kept my knees from cramping on long sit-down rides. If anyone has a better suggestion than those pegs (hopefully something in North America) then please, chime in! These are also these: https://blackdogcw.com/black-dog-sho...sh-detail.html which are on the list if I can't get lower pegs or the bolt on extensions that are common like: http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...peg-extension/

- New Chain Tool. I won't be using clip links on the 525 like I did on the Dakar's 520. I'm probably going to go with the Motion Pro tool http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...hain-tool.html. Still small enough to make it's way into my bag of goodies that lives in the bottom of my luggage and will allow me to rivet and break and all that good stuff.

There's a bunch of other goodies that I never really got around to for my kit, but that's the bulk of the bike-specific stuff. This is kind of a list for myself to remember what I'm doing also, lol! I have a feeling I will be a very busy boy when I get home. I'm not going to consider too many suspension mods nor larger fuel tanks until I get to ride it more once the pipes are changed and the weather warms up. I have basically no opinions formed yet on those parts due to lack of time in the saddle and that is crucial for those parts. Crossing my fingers I won't need stiffer fork springs to air this girl out on some of the trails I ride.

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 08:08 AM
Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 AM   #26
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Forgot to mention... My sucky time at work isn't all bad. +30C here at 13:00.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

All this nice weather and nothing to ride... Makes me serious miss my bikes. Made me reminisce about the Dakar and was going through old pics in between ordering goodies and reading The Pyndon's 950 thread. I'll share some memories to liven this thread up a bit,

Got some orders placed and had some correspondence with dealers about a few other parts. Hope everyone is having a stellar day and riding!!!

Joe
Old 04-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #28
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Suspension

Took your guys advice and started looking into suspension, :) Found a place near home that this fall after a thorough beating and shake down that I could send my stock forks and shock to to have them revalved/reworked!

http://www.ridersedgesuspension.com/index.html

It's pricey, but will bring the stock up to 'S' standards. I think I may have a project (code named "Project Dakar Redux") that I may donate the forks out of the 990 to with a set of triple trees from Emig Racing to convert the front end of the Dakar into a KTM forked front end... Trying to convince my buddy that is buying the Dakar that it's really a great idea and he should do it, lol!!! That would also leave my trees open for some longer forks... 210mm stock is short stroke and even the 'S' with 245 or 265 is still not 300mm,

That will be a late this year or next year project. I don't want to waste this summers days off only working on the bike and after a season riding it I will know if it's a must-have for me anyway. Sounds like it might be after reading some more on these boards and the issues guys have been having with stock spring rates and valving for riding more than smooth gravel roads.

AND... The Renazco seat is probably the solution I'm thinking is best for foot peg height issues. I can't lower them easily so best thing is raise my butt!

This makes me smile, but miss home...

Joe
Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #29
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Mr. Pyndon

70 pages into Pyn's thread on the nine fiddy... Such a VAST wealth of knowledge. I'm lucky to have almost 10 hours a day to sit and read and absorb the info. Click linkies, read other info related, come back, read more Pyn thread, click more linkies, read more stuff, learn more stuff... rinse, repeat. Still at least 4 weeks out here which means I might know enough about it to be as confident in scattering it across my garage like any of the other bikes I've owned in the past,

Starting to see parallels between the infamous Pyndon and I as far as shop/garage/bike habits though... I'm thinking my friends are right when they tell me I'm a tad OCD. Similar tastes in bike bits too. Engine Ice has been my favorite coolant for a decade now and I always think the simplest solution is the best. Now if I can find a place that has the K&N pre-filter in stock I'd be happy...

Cheers!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #30
dirtdiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,026
Crap Joe, You should re-name this thread, "990 All in!"

I had to do my upgrades as I had money available, but I commend you in your enthusiasm and wallet!

I enjoyed my Dakar and had some good riding. I remember the day I decided to get a more powerful bike. I had taken my wife out for a ride and at a stop light I wound my way to the front of the 2 lanes between a mercedes and a cadillac. All was well. The light turned green and I tried to get out in front of the pack. Well, with the two of us on the bike BOTH cars beat me in the first 30 yards and passed me.

I told myself. Bullet proof yes. BMW yes. Cool red white and Blue yes. Better than 50 MPG yes. This bike has got to go. Yes.

Anyway, I am enjoying your thread.

DD
2014 KTM 500EXC
dirtdiver is offline   Reply With Quote