Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
trc.rhubarb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,874
Ahh, I searched the microfiche, the Haynes and the Chilton manuals and none said a thing about an o-ring on the pad that rides on the piston. I'll go find one ASAP.

Thank you for the help! I'm glad it was easy, but hate that it's that basic. I keep finding new fun things that have been done to this bike over the years by previous owners. I can't wait to see what else was 'left out'
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #17
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 751
I've got a really stupid question for you on your funny noise,...... Have you tried just pushing the bike around to hear the noise?

I had a fellow call me, he was from out of town and had a noise very similar to yours, gosh, you'd think his whole world was caving in!

Now I'm not saying you're hearing things but the answer to his problem was dry drive splines in his back wheel. While he was driving slow, the noise seemed to come from the front but when I started pushing the bike around, it was from the back. I pulled his back wheel, lubed the splines and presto, the noise was gone.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
trc.rhubarb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
I've got a really stupid question for you on your funny noise,...... Have you tried just pushing the bike around to hear the noise?

I had a fellow call me, he was from out of town and had a noise very similar to yours, gosh, you'd think his whole world was caving in!

Now I'm not saying you're hearing things but the answer to his problem was dry drive splines in his back wheel. While he was driving slow, the noise seemed to come from the front but when I started pushing the bike around, it was from the back. I pulled his back wheel, lubed the splines and presto, the noise was gone.
So far I can't make it happen just when pushing. I'm very hopeful that the lack of the o-ring to retain the pad is the issue. I can feel it in the handlebars, so I'm fairly certain it's coming from the front. If not, I'll definitely check the rear. Thank you for the advice!
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote