User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
quattroman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Well, at least that is out of the way.

Last Thursday I picked up a 2012 DL1000. Yesterday I was waiting to do a left turn. When I was ready to go, bike stalled with steering to the left. Bike starting to fall, and I could not hold it with my leg.
As the handle bar touched the ground, the Suzuki hand guard bent out of the way and the clutch lever's ball end broke off.
Luckily, I was able to get of the bike on time before the cowling touched the ground and brought it back to its original up-right position.
Beside the clutch lever, just a small scratch on end bar weights and hand guard.
Now that my first dump is out the way, hopefully nothing else will happen ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat
...it's not how long you last that counts, but how much 'living' you manage to cram into life before the inevitable.

quattroman screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 04:47 PM
quattroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Ayedoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Laugh

I've done that - with my 2012 DL1000. You can put collapsible levers and some real hand guards, like Bark Busters on it. The ultimate solution though, is to put a Power Commander on it and have it dyno tuned. Those low speed stalls and hesitations then go away.
Ayedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Vnavigator
nOOb is good

Oddometer: 8
Mine stall three time on my trip home from the dealer.Take it back to your dealer. Tell them what happened. This is a problem they are well aware of and they have a service bulletin out for new 2012 offering the upgrade under warranty. Tell them you want the upgraded ECM and new plugs. They should swap out for free. Tell them you want new parts from Suzuki.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
quattroman OP
Adventurer

I am going tomorrow to pick up my full time helmet and I will tell them this.

Do you have a service bulletin number?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
...it's not how long you last that counts, but how much 'living' you manage to cram into life before the inevitable.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Vnavigator
nOOb is good

Don't have the bulletin#.
For more info go to stromtrooper.com

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-...-2012-ecm.html

They replaced mine. I haven't had a chance to ride it much but seems much improved. Others have reported the same.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
quattroman OP
Adventurer

I ordered the new lever from Ebay, and yesterday I stopped by the dealership and saw that they carry non-suzuki brands for the same price I paid in ebay.

Going tonight to pick up my jacket and get one of this to replace tonight before the weekend. I will keep my ebay one as spare.

Quote:
Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Vnavigator
nOOb is good

Suzuki ought to provide free of charge and be thankful you didn't get injured. If the bike hadn't stalled stalled, you wouldn't have fallen. It cost you $0 to ask or even bitch a little..... Might save you a few bucks.

That said, I do give Suzuki credit for making things right. I'm good with that . I like my V-strom. You'll like yours too.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
killianm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I feel your pain

I bought a brand new 1993 Honda CBR 1000 in the spring of '94. I was in the Navy at the time living in Groton Conn. I rode it home to PA with my parents following in a cage. I stopped for gas and my legs were sooooo cold I couldn't get my leg straight. I fell over on the gas pump and scratched the left muffler. That was fall #1 I then rode the rest of the way home( 5 hours total). Still being spring in NE PA there were cinders all over the road. I stopped at a steep intersection about 3/4 of a mile from the homestead. New bike and cold hands, I stalled it, and when I put my foot down it landed on cinders and down I went on the right side. That did in the right muffler, crash bar cover and bar end. First day and I got both sides. Funny to think about now but lots of RAGE that day!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #9
Cale_Kat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
The buyer of my just repainted Katana (not a spray can job, the real thing!) left my driveway and drove head long into the neighbor's trash cans. The bike lost it's recently restored virginity that evening, along with a mirror. I felt bad for the guy but worse for his son, who had paid his dad to pick up the bike as a welcome back from Iraq present following a long tour.

PS, I stalled and dropped my DL1000 shortly after purchase in a nearly identical way. I think they're designed that way.:-)

Cale_Kat screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 12:49 AM
Cale_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote