Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #106
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
The state of the road's here, at this time of the year, are shit house, to say the least. The perma frost is splitting and raising up the surface of the road as well as these potholes appearing everywhere. In conditions like these, i'm lot quicker on my 990adv than on the VFR i had, actually, i'm quicker altogether with the 990. The new 1190 ADV has 150 neddie's plus 19/17 wheels, instead of 21/18, should be a fairly fast dual sport, especially with a right pilot on board!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #107
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
No, I'm saying it's the rider, not the bike. Many riders find it easier to go faster on an adventure bike. Very few riders can ride either an adventure bike or sport bike to it's limits on the street and if they can, they are smart enough not to do so. I'm also talking twisty roads, not Kansas or Floriduh. Whether are rider is faster on an adventure bike or sport bike depends mainly on which type of bike he is more comfortable with.

Anyone who has much experience on twisty roads will know that there is a great variance in riders abilities and speeds. You will see slow as well as fast riders on every kind of bike. A fast rider on an adventure bike will beat a slow rider on any sport bike on any curvy road. If both riders have equal ability, there's no telling which one will be faster.

Put two fast riders on a race track or public road where speed will be in the triple digits then the higher performance of the sport bike will make a big difference.
I'm going out on a limb and betting that you don't ride a sport bike. Enjoy your ride.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #108
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
This is the same BS cagers will do to show how bad ass their Gulf GTI is....

You want to pass me that bad go ahead....
I had a badass Golf GTI!!!! What are you trying to say? I could keep up with Porsche's and Lamborghinis all day (That were driving the speed limit.)
Old 04-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #109
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:

People with actual riding experience (not just keyboard experience) know that's it's the bike not the rider. On the race track, the higher limits of a sport bike makes a difference, on the street, not so much unless we're talking straight roads.

Have you actually ridden on any really twisty roads???
I call bullshit. A sport bike is designed to go FAST both in a straight line and through turns. Why does everyone think that in a curvy environment their (fill in the blank) moto can outrun and out corner a sportbike that was made for just such an environment? On a dirt road, yes your ADV, GS, Tiger or other mega dual sport will likely outperform a 600 CC Supersport but on asphalt, not likely. Can we please dispense with this myth? And yes, I have ridden twisty roads form Hawaii to New England (HI to California was a little tricky, but I had rain slicks, so...).
Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #110
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
I'm going out on a limb and betting that you don't ride a sport bike. Enjoy your ride.
I used to.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #111
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
I call bullshit. A sport bike is designed to go FAST both in a straight line and through turns. Why does everyone think that in a curvy environment their (fill in the blank) moto can outrun and out corner a sportbike that was made for just such an environment? On a dirt road, yes your ADV, GS, Tiger or other mega dual sport will likely outperform a 600 CC Supersport but on asphalt, not likely. Can we please dispense with this myth? And yes, I have ridden twisty roads form Hawaii to New England (HI to California was a little tricky, but I had rain slicks, so...).
It's not the (fill in the blank) that can outrun a sport bike. It's all up to the rider. I never said that an adventure bike could outperform a sportbike on the street. I just said the the rider is much more important than the bike and most of the time, the rider will limit the speed, not the bike. If the faster rider is on the ADV bike, he will go faster.

But since we obviously have many super talented riders on this forum, I'd like to know which of you high performance sport bike riders can run his bike at or even near it's the limit on the street???

I really wonder about the riding experience of many of the "riders" who post on this forum. If you had spend much time riding twisty roads, you understand what I'm talking about.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #112
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
There'll be lot of people 'blinking' tomorrow, as i'll take the 990 out of hibernation, i haven't ridden in nearly 6 month's. So it'll be, ' which was the brake and the clutch again!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #113
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,276
Quote:
I'm not embarrassed by what I posted. How about answering my question. How many riders do you know that can ride their bikes anywhere near the bikes limits. I'm not talking about bikes with very limited ground clearance like most cruisers.

People with actual riding experience (not just keyboard experience) know that's it's the bike not the rider. On the race track, the higher limits of a sport bike makes a difference, on the street, not so much unless we're talking straight roads.

Have you actually ridden on any really twisty roads???
Klaviator,
What does WNC in my signature mean to you? DUH!
I have a cabin just outside of Robbinsville which is in WNC where I have spent six months a year for the last ten years so I do get to ride a few twisty roads.

"People with actual riding experience (not just keyboard experience) know that's it's the bike not the rider." WTF? Now you are really blowing s**t.
Did you miss type or do you really mean what you typed?

I remember you, you are the guy who was posting photos of you on your scooter (a real scooter) who thought he was really tearing up the Dragon with his great lean angle.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #114
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Klaviator,
What does WNC in my signature mean to you? DUH!
I have a cabin just outside of Robbinsville which is in WNC where I have spent six months a year for the last ten years so I do get to ride a few twisty roads.

"People with actual riding experience (not just keyboard experience) know that's it's the bike not the rider." WTF? Now you are really blowing s**t.
Did you miss type or do you really mean what you typed?

I remember you, you are the guy who was posting photos of you on your scooter (a real scooter) who thought he was really tearing up the Dragon with his great lean angle.
Yes, I meant to type it's the rider, not the bike. If you have spent any time riding around Robbinsville you would have witnessed riders ranging from very slow to very fast on all kinds of bikes. You would know it's not uncommon for someone on a GS or other ADV or DS bike to pass a sportbike. It happens all the time. Of course, those bikes are also passed by fast riders on sportbikes.

I see in your sig line that you are not exactly riding real high performance bikes. Don't tell me you have never passed, or at least been held up by some sportbikes on 129 or 28.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #115
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,254
Quote:
It's not the (fill in the blank) that can outrun a sport bike. It's all up to the rider. I never said that an adventure bike could outperform a sportbike on the street. I just said the the rider is much more important than the bike and most of the time, the rider will limit the speed, not the bike. If the faster rider is on the ADV bike, he will go faster.

But since we obviously have many super talented riders on this forum, I'd like to know which of you high performance sport bike riders can run his bike at or even near it's the limit on the street???

I really wonder about the riding experience of many of the "riders" who post on this forum. If you had spend much time riding twisty roads, you understand what I'm talking about.
Well, unlike you apparently, I can ride my high performance sport bike well enough to go faster then I could on my GS or Vstrom (which was a better handling bike then the GS BTW). Heck, I'm easily quicker in the twisty's on my lil 690 SM then I ever was on that pig of a GS.

As for spenidng much time on twisty roads, I live in Northwest Arkansas, what would I know about twisty roads.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #116
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
Quote:

First of all, that's not what you had said earlier. You had compared how fast riders were when they owned a sport bike and then compared those same riders to how fast they are now that they own an adventure bike. Now, you're saying that it's all about the rider, not the bike. It sounds to me like you're either doing a poor job of backpedaling or you did a lousy job of explaining yourself your first several posts. I'm leaning towards the former.

The second half of your post, particularly the last paragraph, just makes you sound like a turd.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #117
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Well, unlike you apparently, I can ride my high performance sport bike well enough to go faster then I could on my GS or Vstrom (which was a better handling bike then the GS BTW). Heck, I'm easily quicker in the twisty's on my lil 690 SM then I ever was on that pig of a GS.

As for spenidng much time on twisty roads, I live in Northwest Arkansas, what would I know about twisty roads.
These are not the twisty roads you are looking for. Move along.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #118
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
There'll be lot of people 'blinking' tomorrow, as i'll take the 990 out of hibernation, i haven't ridden in nearly 6 month's. So it'll be, ' which was the brake and the clutch again!
The brake is the thingamabob and the clutch is the thingamajig. Totally different. Besides, it's just like riding a bike....
Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #119
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
When I had my cbr954rr, I never rode it "near it's limits" on the road.
That said, I definitely pushed it, say maybe 50-60% of what it could do? Maybe even 75%? (My lawyer was very sad when I sold that bike)
50% of what that bike can do is 85-90% of a GSA's limits. Maybe 120-130% of a HD's limits.
THERE IS A REASON THEY RACE RACE BIKES.
That bike weighed less than my DR650, had ~180hp, and giant friggin brakes.
Whatever it was doing it was doing it VERY quickly. Be that accelerating, stopping, or turning. (Granted mine had quite a bit of engine work done as well as exhaust, etc to lighten the load but stock was ~155 and 370lbs)

That said, there were countless times I'd follow people that were more willing than me to grossly break the law and I'd let them go on ahead. There were other times I'd follow "bigger" bikes, thinking we were just cruising along, talk to them later and find out they were flogging their bike almost to redlines to accelerate.
Modern liter bikes with a competent rider can easily hit 140-160 from stopped in a 1/4 mile.
The 0-60 times are depending on the rider and launch in the 2-2.8 second range. Consistently my fat non riding self could hit 100 in ~5-6 seconds.
On a GSA it's pushing it to hit 100 in <10 seconds.
That's a BIG difference. Yes a great rider on anything will smoke a crappy rider on a liter bike. BUT liter bikes are faster than, well, anything.
(Except in the dirt. Or on potholes and busted pavement.)
Old 04-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #120
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,474
There is no possible way me on my GS Adv could keep up with me on my 996 on a smooth twisty paved road with mowed shoulders. But make the road less than smooth and put some 3 foot tall grass on the shoulder and I could push myself. Pretty damn hard, too. And the rougher the road , the closer I'd be.

And as far as a Vstrom out handling a GS. Yeah, right. lol A Vstrom is one ill handling mofo. The Wee is a much better handling bike in my experience.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote