User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #46
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,112
Excerise 10: Final Exam NotAJump Corner

It's sad to say, but all good things must come to end. And this was the last "official" exercise of the weekend. Basically, we come off a downhill slope (not a jump they tell us, but with a bit more peak on it ...it should be) and complete an off camber, decreasing radius turn exiting via another off camber slope. While not a U-turn, the turn will prove to be formidable as it is extremely sharp. Remember, got to go slow for the slow turns and fast for the fast turns. (Or if you are Dorito, just pray a lot and don't worry about speed.) . This configuration is one that you have no other choice other than to slowly navigate.

To "help" out, Aaron has strategically placed two barrels side-by-by on the outside of the turn. Do notice them at 5 seconds and 29 seconds.

Seems one poor soul came in the turn a bit wide, and bowling balled the two barrels. To make matters worse, the barrels and his bike are on him, and gravity is assisting in a very unwelcoming way. He tries real hard to get away from everything, and every time he rolls downhill, so do the barrels. By the time the instructor comes to his aid, he's actually got both legs inside the barrel. I'd give him a solid 8 for the dismount performance, if for no other reason than creativity.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #47
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Completed exercise #8 write-up and vids...

Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #48
SLiP210
you can call me slip

Oddometer: 296
. Nice weekend breakdown Dana. After the second day I couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast! There's no way I could have made a ride report out of it.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #49
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Now that's pretty funny! Old ride reports are good amusement to review, or in this case remembering the basics. Thanks again for recommending CornerSpin to us.

Dorito screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 12:00 PM
Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #50
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

Thumb

Just about 2 weeks later, all my war wounds have just about healed. Blaster might edit some vids of his favorite track laps, but I think I've grabbed all that I wanted to edit.

A few closing thoughts and course evaluation:

Overall score: 9 out of 10

Overall return on investment: 9 out of 10

Course Cirrculum applicability to dual-sporting: 10 out of 10

Cost of course: 10 out of 10
Probably one of the most reasonably priced courses I have attended.

Instructor quality: 9 out of 10
Good instructor to student ratio, instructors have strong pedigrees in their sport

Course Exercises: 9 out of 10
Good variety, plenty of time to practice them. I enjoyed being able to follow instuctors on their bike, as well as having them stand on the track and yell.

Suggestion: I would prefer a bit more one-on-one feedback like the braking exercise.

Facility: 7 out of 10
Track itself is 10 out 10

Future infrastructure improvements would be nice to have a few shaded picnic tables. We had great weather, but could be challegining in the dead heat of summer without a place to cool off.

Rental bikes: 7 out of 10
Some bikes need some TLC. Tires were in great shape, but some bikes are in need of overhaul. Common issues include stiff clutch cables, weak brakes, broken throttle bodies, some required many kicks to start.

Human rental equipment: 10 out of 10. All of the human PPE I saw was late model, brand name. Alpinastar boots and knee guards, LS2 helmets. All appeared clean, and in good repair. Only saw one boot with a broken strap all weekend.

Administrata: 10 out of 10. Admin person was great to deal with, and sent out forms and updates very timely. Appreciate the very generous re-scheduling policy for both a human broken foot to the hapenstance of rainy, snowy weather!

Recommended hotel: 8 out 10. When I go down next time, I might scout a hotel with a hot tub and high-speed internet. Otherwise, hotel was fine.

Food and Chow: 8 out 10. Lunches were simple sandwiches, yet tasty. Lots of gatorade/water all day. Sat dinner at Outback was fun.

Likehood to return for another class: High!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #51
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
Just based on your ride report, I want to take this course. Excellent reporting!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #52
Dorito OP
Dreamer and Doer

We'll probably aim for the same timeframe next year late Mar/early April. The weather is primo and it's a nice early season pipe opener.

Maybe we can get a class of 12 ADVers..

Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #53
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
We'll probably aim for the same timeframe next year late Mar/early April. The weather is primo and it's a nice early season pipe opener.

Maybe we can get a class of 12 ADVers..

That would be pretty bad ass.