Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
adrenal
www.cafebeemer.com.au

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
coooool... don't be surprised when I take you up on it
A pleasant surprise I'm sure (besides, nothing much surprises me these days!). You planning a trip?

BTW: Don't suppose you've found a good supplier of EarthX thats perhaps a bit cheaper and will post to Aussieland?
instagram: #skrunkwerks
adrenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenal View Post
A pleasant surprise I'm sure (besides, nothing much surprises me these days!). You planning a trip?

BTW: Don't suppose you've found a good supplier of EarthX thats perhaps a bit cheaper and will post to Aussieland?
planning a trip RTW, but it may be a bit before I can pull it off. sorry not in the distribution chain for EarthX ... mine were graciously provided by EarthX for testing. no promises were made other than I would be fair in the testing methodologies.
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
I've been using a Sycl A123 battery from Herrhelmet in my r60/5 for a couple years now and it's worked well. It's the smaller eight cell, I think. One great thing is the quick disconnect so I can bring it inside so it doesn't get cold.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #19
adrenal
www.cafebeemer.com.au

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
planning a trip RTW, but it may be a bit before I can pull it off. sorry not in the distribution chain for EarthX ... mine were graciously provided by EarthX for testing. no promises were made other than I would be fair in the testing methodologies.
No worries CY, drop me a line when you swim over

Lojack, A battery cozy might be the go. Better start knitting!
instagram: #skrunkwerks

adrenal screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 04:47 PM
adrenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #20
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingbear View Post
Two airheads

number one: R90S with high compression pistons , dual plugged

number two: 88 R100 GS. thinking about dual plugging switching over to 40mm heads and 40 mm bings.

Both take lots of juice to start. Would be better if I change out the starters to something newer that would take less load.

SO, what battery should I be looking at and why
thanks for asking ... answer depends on how/when you plan on riding your airhead.

airheads used for adventure duties has one of the most demanding requirements of any motorcycle battery. as you know starting requirements can veri widely... anywhere from barely touching the starter button to hard cranking for several 30 seconds + sessions before starting at below 20f ...

LiFePO4 battery's performance drops dramatically at lower temps. at 14f capacity drops in 1/2 .. hence need to warm up battery internals by drawing current to warm up battery.

carburetor equipped bikes generally require more cranking at colder temps than fuel injected bikes. even when both bikes are in a good state of tune.

then factor airhead charging systems at about 250 watts are marginal at best with heated gear. unless charging system has been upgraded to 400+ watt versions.

recommendations is to go with a quality AGM battery ... unless saving weight is more important than saving $$$.

if airhead is to be used for adventure duties .. go with the largest LiFePO4 you can stuff into battery tray. R80G/S has EarthX ETX36 currently installed with excellent performance. for the last year Shoria LFX36 has done an outstanding job starting R80G/S, including starting in brutal conditions like below 20f ...

definitely look into Valeo copies for Airheads, which has a reputation for less amp draw while spinning over engine faster. feedback is to go with version that has magnet with clips.

my R90S did have an 16AH AGM installed .. your clock on R90S will drain a fully charged 16AH AGM after a few months. my R90S 16AH AGM drained down to below 11v or pretty dead. Yuasa 900 Smartshot battery charger/maintainer recovered dead AGM nicely.

one of the main drawback to LiFePO4 is actual amp hour is relatively low. parasitic drain has an higher effect on LiFePO4 due to smaller actual amp hour capacity.

EarthX ETX36 and Shorai LFX36 both are about 14AH actual. 12 cell Antigravity has about 6.9 AH actual. 8cell = 4.6AH actual, 4cell = 2.3AH actual

if airhead is only going to be used in warm conditions ... smallest LiFePO4 would be EarthX ETX24. which does an excellent job of starting R80G/S even during colder conditions. but doesn't have enough amp hour capacity for the dreaded cold start, then short ride with heated gear. next morning at say 25f .. ETX24 battery didn't have enough AH remaining to start. so if you are only riding you airhead during warm seasons and/or always starting out from a fully equipped garage ... EarthX ETX24 would be an excellent choice for your airhead.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smichel View Post
I have a 1993 r100gs pd with the original BMW 3 amp, 12V black metal charger. I also have installed an odyssey 925 battery on the bike and an endurolast charging system. So my question is: can I use this charger on this battery without wrecking something? If not, any recommendations on a good charger/tender for this battery. The Odyssey Ultimizer (12 amp) is recommended, but the fan seems to run continuously - which could get pretty annoying.
thanks for asking ...

from Endurolast website: "Ultimate Alternator Charging Kit with permanent magnet rotor & hi-output stator. Combination electronic volt regulator/rectifier. The amperage output of this system at low engine RPM's allows use of lighting, heating and other accessories. [I]Not Compatible with lithium iron batteries as supplied by Shorai."
-------------

odyssey 925 battery is an AGM battery which works fine with any 12v charging system, permanent magnet or electro-magnet rotor.

Odyssey Ultimizer (12 amp) charger should work fine with any motorcycle AGM battery, but is really sized for a full size auto battery. any quality AGM charger that has a true float mode will work fine for both auto and motorcycle AGM batteries.

it's worth understanding ... drawback to permanent magnet charging systems is failure mode when rectifier/regulator goes out. 17v+ will dump to battery .. killing it! then not only will you have a dead RR, you will also have a dead battery.

it's worth installing a volt meter on your airhead or any other bike with a permanent magnet charging system to track voltage output. if you shut down bike at first sign of overcharge.

you will still have to replace your RR, but your battery will be saved.

my recommendation is ... if you have not already purchased charger ... go with Yuasa 900 Smartshot charger/maintainer for your motorcycle battery. which is also compatible with LiFePO4.

or go with BMW 3 amp, 12V black metal charger ... which needs to be checked to make sure volts doesn't go over 14.8v ... in 1993 charger I believe wet lead acid batteries were OEM equipment on BMW, wet PB tolerates a higher charging voltage, which may not be compatible with AGM. don't use any charger with a desulfate mode on your AGM.

chargers specifically designed for Gel should not go over 14.2v, then go into float mode at about 13.6v. which is within range for AGM.

_cy_ screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 07:03 PM
Old 05-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #22
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,353
overland expo and solar panels

Solar panels have come a long way in a few years.

I was chatting with vendors and some of the solar panels are made
to roll up and take with you. If you need power just roll it out and let in
charge the battery as you are using it. One vendor has one that is made to
adhere to top of my sprinter van

You never need to be stuck for lack of power.
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #23
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
I also make this one for 70-79 and 80-95 models.

here's a sizing picture for BMW Gel (19AH) .. EarthX ETX18 (5AH) .. 20AH Prismatic LiFePO4. BMW gel and 20AH LiFePO4 have same size case and will fit into OEM airhead battery tray.

yes you can make tiny EarthX ETX18 all but disappear .. but please take extra care and be aware of positive grounding dangers. LiFePO4 discharges at extremely high rates, easily equal to arc welding. several folks have lost their custom carbon fiber covered bikes to LiFePO4 fires.

for more info .. my LiFePO4 testing thread has morph into world largest database on 12v LiFePO4 motorcycle batteries. test mule is R80G/S down to 15f .. link in sig ..

_cy_ screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 06:02 AM