Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #76
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I always thought there was something really cool about riding when there is still snow on the ground......even more so when it's on the road
O, it was cool all right !
Old 04-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #77
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

Time for some maintenance.

New chain & sprockets, tire and rear brakes.

High Tech bead breaker.

Poppa's little helper.

High Tech balancer.

Dirty Aftermath.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #78
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

Still had time to run for the NE OH Tag. Got it and set the new tag.

steveb126 screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 07:00 AM
steveb126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:14 AM   #79
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

Memorial Day Gratitude

steveb126 screwed with this post 05-18-2014 at 07:03 AM
Old 06-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #80
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

May 29

Weather forecast looked good so South to the mountains I go. On the road by 7am.

800 to the big river crossed the bridge @ St Marys WV and headed down 16 all the way to 39. Treacherous curvy roads and distractions galore to set off ADHD. 39 East of Richwood has the Highlands Scenic Highway, I was just up there on 150 in April and got snowed out. Weather is a little more agreeable this trip.

If you continue East on 39 you'll come across Goshen Pass. Nice river views.

Sherando Lake Campground near the start of the BRP.

Great day of riding. 508 miles no Interstate other than a quick 20 mile jaunt across 64/81 from Lexington to Waynesboro,VA.

steveb126 screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 07:22 AM
Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #81
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

May 30

I rode the whole BRP end to end before but it had been a few years. My recent trips down there I've been exploring off the Parkway. There's a lot of gravel/forestry roads available but I stuck to the pavement this trip. Road crews were out and they were completely replacing the road bed so I did do some gravel, wet muddy loose stuff they were preparing the roadbed with. It was fun with my overloaded little Wee.

Gourmet instant coffee, cereal bars and oatmeal, mmmmm. I'm an early riser so I was out the gate by 7am.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #82
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

May 30

Old 06-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #83
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

May 30

steveb126 screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 07:24 AM
Old 06-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #84
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

May 30

Rode leisurely paced 400 miles. Seen a big bear around the 40 mile marker. 7th time I've seen a bear in the wild, still not quick enough with the camera. Thought I seen a fellow Ohio ADVer, look for ArmyJoe he just started a perpetual picture thread that is way cool and ADV worthy.

Camped at Carolina Hemlocks again. One of my favorite campsites. Cheap rates and hot showers. Campsites on both sides of the road. Camp in the upper east side especially when its hot and on the weekend, they rent tubes and such so the place gets a little crowded. Vance and his wife were the Campground hosts this time. Nice folks. Retired for over 10 years, originally from Raleigh, now living the RV life... Cool !

Old 06-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #85
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

May 31

Rode the rest of the Parkway from mile marker 345 and across Newfound gap with the rest of the tourist.

These folks had rode all the way from Canada.

Rhododendron were popping.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #86
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

May 31

Smokies

Every few years I ride through Gatlinburgh and Pigeon Forge just to remind myself why I usually bypass it. There is a lot of fun stuff to do there and the usual tourist stuff, just not the usual ADVenturous stuff. Jumped on I40 to 25E, not much to see there, however there are a few nice overlooks.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #87
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

May 31

Arrived at Cumberland Gap and set up camp early enough to head into the historic town. From there I went up to the overlook.

One foot in KY, the other in VA.

The ridge line to the left below the lake is the long disputed TN, KY, VA state boundaries. Under it is the 25E tunnel. That is the KY side of 25 on the right.

After leaving the overlook I ventured around the back roads on the other side of the mountains from where the campground is located. Little twisty 1 1/2 lane roads and some gravel. 320 miles total for the day.

steveb126 screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 07:54 AM
Old 06-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #88
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

June 1

Packed up and headed into KY stopped for gas and snacks in Middlesboro off and running by 8 this morning. I got real lucky with the route I took. After getting off 25 in Pineville I rode 66 N to 11.

66 was a great road. Red Bird seemed to be a common theme through the area. I thought it may reference Cardinals or something warm and fuzzy. Came upon this historical marker with the explanation, reality can be kind of cruel.

Entering the Daniel Boone National Forest I decided to bypass the western direction of 11and took 715 up to 77. Great decision, great roads. What a genius I am !!! ...or just lucky.

Lots of overlooks and hiking. I was planning on arriving home before dark so I just snapped a couple quick pics of the roadside overlooks.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #89
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

June 1

I am still just a newb/prospect at the ADV asylum moto club. Here is a situation where I may be barred and have to turn in my ADV members only card.

After reaching the end of 77 (did I mention what a great stretch of road ?) took the jog over 460 to Frenchburg and headed N on 36. 36 starts to veer west so I took 211. Crossing US60 the next stretch of 211 had a sign "not a through road". My map showed it went through. Next sign "end of state maintenance". Surely this was a mistake, I don't care what the signs were trying to tell me. "Creek Crossing" sign ? Surely its a tame, tranquil, quaint little river fjord bordered on the edges with honeysuckle and rose beds.

Tractor tracks deeper than my bags and exhaust.

After trying to find a bypass down the lane to the right I came upon numerous "Keep Out" signs posted for the farm it led to. Returning to the creek crossing I pondered for a few moments, had a snack and a drink. I decided even if I had company a crossing here would not end well with my minimalist 100 pounds of gear bagged and strapped on the Wee. Note the facetious sarcasm here, I've been known in the past to pull a trailer behind the Wing for my solo camping trips and we still do for our 2 up trips. I am very much a newb on what many here would consider an average ADV day in the boondocks. To be honest I'm not sure I would have done it on my CRF250, ....unless egged on by my ADV OH peeps.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #90
steveb126 OP
Adventurer Anonymous

June 1

After returning to pavement I took 60 into Owingsville where I picked up 111, a nice meandering valley road. Passed numerous groups of riders, must have been a poker run or something going on. 111 and 211 travel parallel to the east of 11 with less stop and go stuff like strip malls and stuff. Last time I stayed on 11 through KY was 1995. I feel fortunate that I picked the route I did. I will return, probably 2 up on the wing with the Lovely Rea and our trailer. 1995 was also the last time I had been up on the Cumberland Gap Overlook and it has changed.

Crossed the river at Maysville, back home in Ohio, yet still 4 hours from the house.

Nearly hysterical horsing around historical marker, I think it was used in our state wide tag game recently.

I gassed up in West Union,OH on route 41, another pretty country road. I decided to check the aforementioned tag game, sure enough the tag was only 15 miles, even though it was a bit of backtracking I had to tag it.

The weather was gorgeous, not a drop of rain. Skies were definitely threatening from mid afternoon on but somehow it dodged me. Well over 400 miles for the trip home and just shy of 1700 miles total 4 days and miles of smiles.