ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #856
BarKnee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
BarKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #857
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfman View Post
Do you find the Photomatix Pro to be that much better than Essentials? I'm thinking of upgrading... thanks for any opinions.
Hey Merfman. I already commented once on this question, but I misunderstood what you meant by Essentials. I wasn't aware Photomatix also had a version of their HDR software called Essentials. From this link http://www.hdrsoft.com/order/features_compare.html you can compare the two price levels and decide what will work for you. I have never used the Photomatix Essentials, but would definitely miss some of the features of the Pro version, especially the Lightroom plugin and the manual selective de-ghosting tool.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #858
BarKnee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72

BarKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #859
zachandjake
Lurker

Oddometer: 41
My First Attempt

Here is my first try at HDR. Downloaded some free software called Luminance and just played around with it.

I am always amazed at the photo quality of these pictures. Makes me really want to learn how you all are doing these things.

Anyways I find myself wanting to take more pictures just for the sake of this type stuff while I am out riding.

I used this picture I bought from Killboy a couple years back.

Let me know what you think.....

4:13 MOTORSPORTS
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
- Philippians 4:13
zachandjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #860
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachandjake View Post
Here is my first try at HDR. Downloaded some free software called Luminance and just played around with it.

I am always amazed at the photo quality of these pictures. Makes me really want to learn how you all are doing these things.

Anyways I find myself wanting to take more pictures just for the sake of this type stuff while I am out riding.

I used this picture I bought from Killboy a couple years back.

Let me know what you think.....

For a first time playing with the software, that's pretty darned good.

Opinions vary, but for me, this is just on the edge of being overdone. I'm not a fan of the super processed photos. This one brings out the details while not going in to the cartoonish region. I think if you pushed it further, you'd be disappointed in the results.

Keep it up.

Incidentally, I downloaded the Beta version of Lightroom 5 the other day. The terms of the Beta sort of indicate the product will be shipping around June. Probably be an introductory discount at that time as well. I haven't had time to play with it much yet, but first glance, it looks to have improved enough to upgrade from my current version 4.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #861
zachandjake
Lurker

Oddometer: 41
Thanks jdg. Definitely have a learning curve to get through. I appreciate the feedback. I am going to try and take a couple pictures tonight and see what I can do.

Can the Iphone 5 do "raw" images?
4:13 MOTORSPORTS
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
- Philippians 4:13
zachandjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #862
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
For a first time playing with the software, that's pretty darned good.

Opinions vary, but for me, this is just on the edge of being overdone. I'm not a fan of the super processed photos. This one brings out the details while not going in to the cartoonish region. I think if you pushed it further, you'd be disappointed in the results.

Keep it up.

Incidentally, I downloaded the Beta version of Lightroom 5 the other day. The terms of the Beta sort of indicate the product will be shipping around June. Probably be an introductory discount at that time as well. I haven't had time to play with it much yet, but first glance, it looks to have improved enough to upgrade from my current version 4.

jdg
Glad you wrote that. I've been meaning to download the beta as well. I use LR4 and the Enfuse plug in for my HDR's now. Now I Have to get a camera that can bracket , not 3, exposures so I can keep up with the quality work Dave is putting out!!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #863
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Glad you wrote that. I've been meaning to download the beta as well. I use LR4 and the Enfuse plug in for my HDR's now. Now I Have to get a camera that can bracket , not 3, exposures so I can keep up with the quality work Dave is putting out!!
Hahaha - if you're like me, having more than three bracketed exposures still won't put you in Dave's class. I find my poor old Canon 20D still takes better photos than I do. I haven't been able to justify the upgrade I want as it will also require getting away from -S lenses. That's going to be the expensive part.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #864
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgretz View Post
Hahaha - if you're like me, having more than three bracketed exposures still won't put you in Dave's class. I find my poor old Canon 20D still takes better photos than I do. I haven't been able to justify the upgrade I want as it will also require getting away from -S lenses. That's going to be the expensive part.

jdg
I have a 50D and a 7D, both have treated me pretty well. Not as happy with the 7D as I thought I would be. I got it for a good price though.

Rumor has it, a 7D mark II will be out sometime this year. It will be interesting to see what it has to offer. I have a couple of EF-S lenses as well, so that is my upgrade path, at some point,. I guess.

Either way, a friend of mine has a pair of 20D's, and has really enjoyed them. He has, on a and off, taken jobs being a wedding photographer.
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #865
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Why do we line up to watch the latest blockbuster movie with all sorts of fake CGI effects in over-saturated colors and cartoonish digital tweaking, but then apply a different set of standards to what we prefer in still photography? Why do we insist that still photography somehow be closer to boring, drab reality? Why is it so many consider a photograph to be a documentation of reality versus a valid form of art?
I have some thoughts (amazing, I know) and observations about these questions- would you be interested in reading them, or should I just go f myself?

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #866
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,063
BarKnee, That first one in B&W rocks. The brilliant green color in the second one makes me miss my bike being orange.

FakeName, I guess I opened the door. If you have one, try throwing up another photo as well, to keep the thread beautiful.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #867
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
FakeName, I guess I opened the door. If you have one, try throwing up another photo as well, to keep the thread beautiful.
'sok.

I'll go back to OC.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #868
Devilsyam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11

you on the Dragon there?
Devilsyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #869