Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
81cr450 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
You do realize this is ADV not better homes & gardens right?
When I was a about 5 I watched a guy build a harley trike in his front room. Getting it out was another story. You cant really call yourself a wrench if you've never washed parts in the tub either.

Anyway its coming along , I've thought of a couple points on the motor I forgot to mention. The 1995 & up bottom end has 8 ball main bearings , the same used in the CR500. I replaced the mains with factory honda parts . The 1993 has the same main on one side but the other side got a smaller less beefy piece. Seems like a good deal for longevity.
The case also has a pocket in it that can hold a little more oil if you ditch the gasket & drill 2 holes. The bike only holds 650ml so I think its worthwhile to get some more fluid in there. I did have to run my crank side clearance on the minimum to make up for the .010 gasket thickness. The trans still was good on clearance.

You can see the largish pocket here

On this side you can see where the oil will come out of the trans into the clutch , then theres a built in scraper that will put the oil back in the transmission. I'm hoping this will generate circulation through the pocket. I also went kinda small on the holes so the trans couldnt be over scavenged

I also heard that the latter RMX powervalves could fall into the motor if a spring broke, this motor is not like that. There are 2 springs that should be replaced, but if the do go bad all that will happen is the second stage of the powervalve will flutter.

I also read that the powervalve rod clips break when you take them appart but mine were good so I just used them over

I also changed the carb from a keihin pk that "barely" idles off the choke, to a mikuni 36mm tmx which fits the 92 rm boot perfect. I figure if a cr500 can make 65 hp off of 38mm a 250 should be fine with 36mm & have better throttle response. Alot of people think tmx mikuni's suck, the problem in my opinion is the jetting table out of the oem manuals. This carb calls for a 35 pilot from honda, but from experience the thing takes 4 sizes leaner down to a 25 , some even say a 20 is the ticket. I like em I had a bored out 38mm tmx on my kx550af & they work. Scared me leaning it down that far but...

I need to mention how tight the head is to the top of the powervalves, I had to clearance a bit & I will have to build a new mount but it's worth the squish, trust me.

You can also see the $8 a foot 500 degree silicone hose, it should be leak proof I hope. Which reminds me ... I need to flush the radiators.
81cr450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81cr450 View Post
You do realize this is ADV not better homes & gardens right?
When I was a about 5 I watched a guy build a harley trike in his front room. Getting it out was another story. You cant really call yourself a wrench if you've never washed parts in the tub either.

I know that this is NOT a thread about home building or how to clean up your home when in need.

But as it is so obvious that the refubisjed parts are really sanitary the mess in the background doesn't fit. There are certainly important things and less important in live, ... which comes first depending the kitchen I will not discuss here.
PSchrauber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
81cr450 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for your concern for my well being, & the positive input
" the refubisjed parts are really sanitary "

I'd like to say thanks for some of the idea's I've gleaned from this & other sites. I was putting on my sprocket today & greased the splines, a trick I learned from the guys on the xr650l thread. It is really nice to be able to share idea's & technique's , as everybody has their own way of doing things.

I believe it's a Ben Franklin saying I'm gonna slaughter here but it goes something like "No matter a mans social standing, walk of life, or intelligence there's always something to be learned from him." I know some of the best lessons I've learned have been from people of diminished capacities.

I hope in taking the time to post this up I can return some of the positive energy I've received from others who've done the same & helped me by sharing what they've learned .

This pic kinda illustrates an idea I stole / improved on from E-Gorr. The crankcase vent on these motors comes out from the powervalve area & is the vent for the entire motor. He recommends just plugging it off. I know on a v-8 if you plug it all off it will blow seals & gaskets so I assume the same would hold true for a dirt bike engine. If I hadnt read his page on how that vent will suck a bit of dirt into the motor I would have just run it straight down like the factory did & suck up trail dust, with the cheap 3/8 fuel filter it can breathe fresh clean air

I used some aluminum duct tape under the tank as a heat shield where the exhaust runs by. I hope it sticks as nice when the fuel is in there. I might oughta put a bunch of pin holes in it so it can breathe, like they do on tank stickers.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,808
I can appreciate working in the kitchen,I dis-mantled and rebuilt a rubber cow(1976 R75/6 BMW) in the backroom,engine torn to bits,changed frame and forks out due to bent issues. Spent a minimum of 3 hours a day for months on it.

Then rode it and realized what I had done,cripeola what a tank,ill handling sloth of a pig.
Traded it for an 05 650 Strom,but lessons were learned and I moved on with my life.

Still got those spare RMX wheels sitting here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A Keihin carb fits into the RMX intake rubbers with no changes Ive been told,supposed to work well.
(refubisjed is in the "new" dictionary.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 10:10 PM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #20
Spikester300
Roll Tide!

Oddometer: 120
They usually vent a little smoke out the vent hose so check the filter after running it to see if it clogs up.

Spikester300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #21
81cr450 OP
Adventurer

Yeah it does smoke up the filter a bit. Doesnt seem to be plugging , though it will need regular changing

I got it running 2 weeks ago , not finished but running, & have burnt a tank & half through it . What a little tractor, my 230lb son who was home on leave lugged the thing around for near 4 hrs & it took him up whatever he wanted. He didnt even find the powervalves second stage where the bike just comes alive. Boy it hits , like + 25hp now. Fun trail toy . Its pulling 14-43 gearing just fine, that deep first still gives you room play in the technical stuff too. I just got back from vacation so it should be next weekend before I get anything else done with it, like the head stay , rear fender & side panels. I'll post some pics when I do