User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Stumblebike OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thumb 5 day Great Divide ride Sunshine coast - Port Macquarie

I had 2 Xchallenges and some time so my Brother and I hit the road.
I have all the maps as separate legs and will stick them on TAT shortly I would like to link all the trails together first to make it neater I am still trying. I also have some photos I will edit in in the next few days.
This ride was done in Febuary after the storms so trees down and road closures were a bit of an issue but all the creeks had gone down and the sun was out so that was a blessing. An awesome run. We pubed it along the way, I just cant find a great Tee bone Chips and Cold beer by the camp fire.

Melaney – Linville.
Well It was a pretty easy run I wanted to leave from gympie – widgee – wrattans etc but I was in Melaney so –Kenilworth up Sunday creek and down Monsidale and Hwy – Linville. Monsidale was well behaved only a half foot over at any crossing, some of the decomposed granite can really be slippey though.

The sunday creek signs say it is closed This bridge was damaged in the recent flood up near Jimna

Linville – Woodenbong.
This is a great run especially from the top of the Blackall range – Crows nest nothing to hard a few rutted sections and one rough creek crossing but nothing to stress about. The lookout at Ravenbourne is worth a stop. It seems hard to stay off the pavement getting past the Toowoomba – Gatton – Brisbane line. And this trail is no different it hits some bitumen but tries to get it over and done with quick. The run up to Woodenbong is a good one but check Mt Clunie rd could be closed for tree and landslide clearing so go via Koreelah.

Woodenbong- Dalmorton
This is a great ride if the weather has been kind there should be no trouble if it has been a bit wild there can be a lot of trees down in the northern part of the ride, Toonumbar National Park was closed in Feb 2013 due to trees down requiring a go around. Clarence way is fast and open, very easy The run from Dalmorton - Dorrigo is also very open. I did not actually do the Jackadgery – Dalmorton stretch as mapped I had to spend a night in Grafton. we had spent far too long in Toonumbar forest. i=It took 3 hours to do 10 km and when we got to the end there was a road closed sign, someone failed to put one on the northern end of that stretch. we went under logs over logs and under more logs. Gear off the bikes lay them over and drag them through after clearing the vines and small branches stuff. Always with the blind hope that forward was the best way. we went the only tracks so some other poor sod had done it so would we.
This part of the trip was highlighted or well at least most memorable from the many logs down in the TOONUMBAR NATIONAL PARK This is just one of the probably dozen or more logs down that we went under or over and took us 4 hours to go about 20 KM. With a lot of effort we fitted the bikes through the hole on the right there

At the end of a long day it was no Air hawk but a little nest gave some relief to the unrelenting vibration of the 650
[IMG][/IMG]

one of the advantages of surviving through all those downed trees I think it is bushy forest lookout

But there was still more logs. seemed like always more.
[IMG][/IMG]

Dalmorton – Dorrigo This is an easy run no hassles here really.

Dorrigo- Forbes river rd.

Dorrigo – the pub with no beer is the best part of the week long ride I did except for the 30 km on a flat front.
A REALLY REALLY GREAT SIGHT WHEN THE FRONT TYRE COMES BACK ALL PUMPED UP

Waterfall way even though bitumen is still not to be missed and the roads up through Scotchman forest are great the run down what is called Jacobs ladder is pretty steep but in good condition. Some of the trail verges on wide single track at times. The pub with no beer and the Bellbrook pub are both worth a stop. I was surprised by the road between the Pub With No Beer (Taylors arms) and Bellbrook is really nice forestry roads. Fuel at Willawarren only about 10km of track. Leaving Bellbrook you go through about 9 gates they are public gates don’t get worried.

In Willi Willi Nat Park some trails that don’t match the map exactly but they come back online after a few km. I actually took a different road the oxley hwy to Forbes river rd as I was running low on time. But still it is a great ride through Willi Willi and Werrikimbe.

Forbes River – Comboyne well normally it is an easy run up Toms Creek but due to land slides we took a shorter route up Bunoo river rd comes off Toms Creek about 6km from Oxley hwy on the left. It is not really a rd if you ask a map but the locals sometimes use it. Nicknamed pinkey’s HWY if you ask the right local. Not a bad track but beware if you see a “river community” you have gone too far and should have gone right.

In Willi Willi Nat Park some trails that don’t match the map exactly but they come back online after a few km. I actually took a different road the oxley hwy to Forbes river rd as I was running low on time. But still it is a great ride through Willi Willi and Werrikimbe.

Forbes River – Comboyne well normally it is an easy run up Toms Creek but due to land slides we took a shorter route up Bunoo river rd comes off Toms Creek about 6km from Oxley hwy on the left. It is not really a rd if you ask a map but the locals sometimes use it. Nicknamed pinkey’s HWY if you ask the right local. (long flat shop good for fuel Pie and info) Not a bad track but beware if you see a “river community” you have gone too far and should have gone right.

Pretty happy to have made it to Comboyne
[IMG][/IMG]

BTW
I used TAT to get ideas of roads and then http://ridewithgps.com/ to plot them and Motion GPX on the Iphone. what a win. Ride with GPS is the easiest plotting software i have found about 100 times quicker than Google.

"Time flies when having fun" I think this day will never end.

Stumblebike screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 06:19 AM Reason: finally figured out the photos thing
Stumblebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
Stumblebike OP
Adventurer

Tracks are now up

Tracks are now up on TAT.
Linville - Woodenbong
Woodenbong - Dalmorton
Dorrigo - Doyles rd.
Bellbrook - Forbes river rd / Long flat Pub

Old 04-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
pegasus46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
[QUOTE=Stumblebike;21167553]Tracks are now up on TAT.
For the ignorant out there (which includes me) what is TAT?
pegasus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
GelandeRoadie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
A bit of TIS and a bit of TAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblebike View Post
Tracks are now up on TAT.
For the ignorant out there (which includes me) what is TAT?
It is Trans Australia Trails - http://transaustraliatrail.com.au - a veritable gold mine
GelandeRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
GelandeRoadie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Photo's???

Hey Stumble, do you have any more photo's or were you going too fast...
GelandeRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #6
Stumblebike OP
Adventurer

plenty more photos but i must be some sort of idiot

Year TAT or transaustraliatracks is a great web host of tracks all around Australia.

As for photos I have more but i am really not sure i have tried the [img] [/img] tag but it's not being my friend.
i will try again:
a great little spot north of Crows nest
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1c2pccsq3...f:DSCN3448.JPG
a time when i would rather be in the pub then stil 40km away
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1c2pccsq3...f:DSCN3508.JPG
one of the easier logs to get under on day three in the Toonumbla forest
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1c2pccsq3...f:DSCN3518.JPG

Stumblebike screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 03:37 AM Reason: Grrr i will have to try something else to store and share images
Old 04-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,216
Quote:
a great little spot north of Crows nest
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1c2pccsq3...f:DSCN3448.JPG

You've got some good pictures there. That one looks like the crossing (Emu Creek, I think) on Waterhole Gully Road not far south of Blackbutt.

I've recently been trying to find out how that road fared in the big wet. Looks OK eh?

woopwoop screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 07:33 PM
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
woopwoop
will think for food

Here's a picture I took at the same crossing last August.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Stumblebike OP
Adventurer

Thumb Emu creek

Yeah the road is fine someone had been through there and cleaned it out and graded the crows nest side of the hill climb out. I nearly crashed descending in falling into a large rut but only cause I was asleep it is a perfectly serviceable road and great scenery. I was surprised out in the middle of I am not sure where to see a little council pointing down that road saying Crows nest

Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
woopwoop
will think for food

Quote:
Yeah the road is fine someone had been through there and cleaned it out and graded the crows nest side of the hill climb out. I nearly crashed descending in falling into a large rut but only cause I was asleep it is a perfectly serviceable road and great scenery. I was surprised out in the middle of I am not sure where to see a little council pointing down that road saying Crows nest

Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

Now to work my way through the rest of your photos (slow computer!)