Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
ValpoFz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
SHe has been reading it and at this point is going to try and go look at the one thats local. Thanks Guys for all your input.
ValpoFz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #17
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,948
An ugly duckling. The Buell B-Last.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #18
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,111
Here's what Erik Buell had to say about the Blast...

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
SoSlow
Having fun

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
And shakes like a paint shaker. Serious
We had a bunch of Blasts on the motorcycle safety course here... that is probably the best description of them I've seen. They also had front brakes that seemed to be either full on or completely off.

To be fair, though, those bikes had probably been beaten hard by hauling prospective riders around day after day...
Old 04-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
We had a bunch of Blasts on the motorcycle safety course here... that is probably the best description of them I've seen. They also had front brakes that seemed to be either full on or completely off.

To be fair, though, those bikes had probably been beaten hard by hauling prospective riders around day after day...

I spent 10 minutes of my life on one I'll never get back.

For comparison it made a 70's cb350 seem like a wet dream.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
EddieMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
It's a fun little bike, but after doing 300 miles one day on a Blast, I took to calling it the Ass Blaster.
EddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #22
benzbaron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I have 31000miles on my blast, great bike around town. I love how internet people like beating on them, I'm actually thinking about getting a custom graphic on my bike the says "B last" just to make fun.

The issue with the blast is you really have to wind it out to make power, I mean like coming off the rev limiter to ride fast. I beat the crap out of my blast and had to get a valve job and +.10 cylinder, then 500 miles later a pin in the shift fork backed out and the transmission got stuck in neutral. Used tranmission in and the bike is back on the road. Had the carb boot fail once. If you drop the blast the front engine mount rips, an hour job to replace. I've repaired almost everything on my blast and parts are cheap. Go drop that ninja 250 and get back to me how much the repair is.

I also love it when people complain about removing the foot peg stand, oh man it takes like 10min to get it off, if you don't know what an extension and universal joint is it might be hard to remove.

Thats all I got, new to the ADV.
benzbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #23
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzbaron View Post
I have 31000miles on my blast, great bike around town. I love how internet people like beating on them, I'm actually thinking about getting a custom graphic on my bike the says "B last" just to make fun.

The issue with the blast is you really have to wind it out to make power, I mean like coming off the rev limiter to ride fast. I beat the crap out of my blast and had to get a valve job and +.10 cylinder, then 500 miles later a pin in the shift fork backed out and the transmission got stuck in neutral. Used tranmission in and the bike is back on the road. Had the carb boot fail once. If you drop the blast the front engine mount rips, an hour job to replace. I've repaired almost everything on my blast and parts are cheap. Go drop that ninja 250 and get back to me how much the repair is.

I also love it when people complain about removing the foot peg stand, oh man it takes like 10min to get it off, if you don't know what an extension and universal joint is it might be hard to remove.

Thats all I got, new to the ADV.
The bolded part is why internet people trash the Blasts.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #24
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
The bolded part is why internet people trash the Blasts.
I know, right? It's like, "Let me tell you all the things that are wrong with the bike I love... isn't it awesome!"

That said, we've all loved lousy bikes before. Either out of stubborn pride, or denial, or simple affection for something so ugly, only a mother / owner could love it.

Still, if you're going to love a bad bike... Good God, why choose the Blast?? That's like saying my favorite store is J.C. Penney's, and hey, that food at Applebee's, I just can't get enough!
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #25
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
That said, we've all loved lousy bikes before.
I'm starting to see your problem.

Many of us DON'T love lousy bikes, or cars, or other stuff. There are so many good bikes to choose from that there's no reason to waste time with a lousy one.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
MOzarkRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I rode one for a short time.... It was awful on the top end and there was nothing left to pass anyone on the highway. The balance was off as well... It seemed great at low speeds but on the back-roads it never felt confident and the mini-ape-hangers they called stock handlebars didn't inspire much of anything, look or functionality. I am a Buell fan but my opinion of the Blast! is a Harleyfied bike that pushed upon Erik to get people in the door of the dealerships for a training course. Not a bike of worthy mention. A much better beginner bike would be a GS500F, Yamaha Seca II, Ninja 250, Ninja 500, Bandit 600, or the new line of Honda 250s or Kawasaki 300s. All much cheaper to maintain and much more fun to ride. Unless you like scrambled insides...
05' Triumph Sprint ST
http://www.xjrider.com/
MOzarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #27
benzbaron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
My b-last tops out at 90mph if you don't have enough power to pass on the freeway you are doing something wrong. I think most people shift too soon, the bike really needs to be wound out, my bike screams on the freeway and will cruise at 80mph no issues.

This is my first bike, I should have parted it but ended up repairing it instead. I got the "punky buellster" in 2005 so I've had it awhile. If you ride sensibly you can get 60mpg or so and parts will last. Unfortunately riding sensibly isn't my thing, I ride the blast hard and got through brakes and tires. I think many of the engine issues are because the carb tune is too lean which causes the bike to chew up exhaust valve seat. If you get one I'd get the carb tuned first off. My bike had 5900miles on it when I got it and smoked. Besides the carb issue there is an issue with pre-2002 bikes that had paper rocker cover gaskets. The new gasket is stamped metal with silicone. Another little issue is the air box will eat through the wiring harness. All that shaking will make bolts back out and parts fall apart so strong parts and locktite are your friends.

I'm a b-last fan so maybe my opinion is slanted, but if you can find me a better bike to ride around SF I'd love to see it. Short wheel base and light weight makes turning/parking easy. Thumper so lots of torque, thin for cutting through traffic, loud to scare off jay walkers. Belt so no chain lube, I only broke the belt once, embarassing to say the least especially since I had cut the lanes and had to push the bike off the road. The blast has excellent brakes, if you don't understand brake modulation there might be a bit of a learning curve, this bike will stop on a dime.

I'm not saying the blast is a great bike but for what is is it is fun. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. If anyone is blastarded and needs any help don't be shy, I've fixed about everything on the punky buellster.
benzbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #28
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,561
Badge320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #29
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,611
That is awesome. Did you do it on a dare?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #30
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
That is awesome. Did you do it on a dare?
The bike was given to me. It was a former school bike that had been in storage for over 2 years. The bike was completely trashed out. I spent the winter buying cheap parts on Ebay and put it on the track to run some smaller classes in my race organization, learn the race lines and get seat time.

I'm running against CBR 250's and Ninja 250's. I'm actually in 13th place overall out of 27 racers in that class.
Badge320 is online now   Reply With Quote