ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #7561
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
The Motorcycle Profile, main page icons have lost the text! It happened while I was changing the icons around & I can't seem to figure out what I did. The text is below the icons in the drawer, but not on the main page. If I move them from the main to the drawer the text reappears, when I put them back it's gone. All of the other profiles are ok.

Any help figuring out what I did would be appreciated

BTW, I've searched till I'm blue..

TIA,

Sleddog
Is your main menu page set for 16 icons?
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #7562
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
The Motorcycle Profile, main page icons have lost the text! It happened while I was changing the icons around & I can't seem to figure out what I did. The text is below the icons in the drawer, but not on the main page. If I move them from the main to the drawer the text reappears, when I put them back it's gone. All of the other profiles are ok.

Any help figuring out what I did would be appreciated

BTW, I've searched till I'm blue..

TIA,

Sleddog
How many icons do you have on your main page? I know that once you get over like 5 or 6 icons the text does go away.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #7563
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
How many icons do you have on your main page? I know that once you get over like 5 or 6 icons the text does go away.
2x2 (4) or 3x3 (9) and you still have text.

4x4 (16) and no text.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #7564
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
That was it! Thanks
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #7565
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The Track Distance field isn't working properly or is of little value since it doesn't actually have relevance to the Current Track as is stated in the Data Field Definition. After you Clear Current Track it should zero if it were working properly.
I found how to clear "Track Distance": go to the Trip Computer, hit the Menu button, select Reset and choose "Clear Current Track". Apparently this is different from Saving, then Clearing the track in the Track Manager.

Just got back from a short ride - tomorrow's weather is looking crappy so we bolted out after work.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #7566
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I found how to clear "Track Distance": go to the Trip Computer, hit the Menu button, select Reset and choose "Clear Current Track". Apparently this is different from Saving, then Clearing the track in the Track Manager.
Thanks Emmbeedee. I stared at that and never touched it as I thought surely a function with the same name (Clear Current Track) would do the same thing as it's counterpart in the Track Manager of the same name. Oh silly me...

This Track Distance datafield is like having a second Trip Odometer within the Trip Odometer which is really cool for doing "Stage" events. As well as monitoring track leg distances.

I really like this datafield but the Clear Current Track command, no matter where it is on the Montana, should clear the Track Distance as well.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #7567
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Thanks Emmbeedee. I stared at that and never touched it as I thought surely a function with the same name (Clear Current Track) would do the same thing as it's counterpart in the Track Manager of the same name. Oh silly me...

This Track Distance datafield is like having a second Trip Odometer within the Trip Odometer which is really cool for doing "Stage" events. As well as monitoring track leg distances.

I really like this datafield but the Clear Current Track command, no matter where it is on the Montana, should clear the Track Distance as well.

Cheers,
I agree, if it's named the same, it should do the same, but it would be interesting to see if the Reset method actually clears the track, or just the Track Distance field. My track was already cleared so I couldn't test the possibility.

And I also agree that the Track Distance can be a second Trip Odometer, functionally.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #7568
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I agree, if it's named the same, it should do the same, but it would be interesting to see if the Reset method actually clears the track, or just the Track Distance field.
It does clear the current Track. I think they just didn't make the code links to the other Clear Current Track commands. I sent them an email earlier today.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #7569
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,772
Basecamp help...

Finally got a new PC to run Basecamp. Now, can someone direct me to a good forum or site that explains some of the tricks for someone who's been in the Mapsourse world? I've looked at all the Garmin vids and their help sections but looking for something with a little more meat.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #7570
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,772
Never mind, found the wiki. That should keep me busy for awhile.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #7571
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
Never mind, found the wiki. That should keep me busy for awhile.
There's more here: http://garmin-mapsource.wikispaces.com/BaseCamp

Has an in-depth explanation of the BaseCamp database.

Rocky TFS screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 02:03 PM
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #7572
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAIR View Post
Looking to replace my Zomo 550 with the Montana 650.
Going to use it on my wee for mostly the highways and some logging roads.
Also be on my dirt bike for more remote areas.

My question is I need the Dvd CNNA for roads but must also purchase CNNA on a card to get the Lifetime updates...right?
Is the Lifetime updates worth the extra cost.

The only reason I want the Dvd version is for working in basecamp on my PC.

One more question which do I want 24K topo 100K topo?

Thanks

Fred
Fred,
Ordered from GPS Central in Canada, I bought my CNNA and was offered lifetime map update card at discount if bought together for $129.95. 2 day shipping brought the total to 145.45.

Had to get help from fella's on this Montana thread to load the CNNA to computer, then onto the Montana.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #7573
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhouse View Post
Fred,
Ordered from GPS Central in Canada, I bought my CNNA and was offered lifetime map update card at discount if bought together for $129.95. 2 day shipping brought the total to 145.45.

Had to get help from fella's on this Montana thread to load the CNNA to computer, then onto the Montana.
Thank you for the info.
But...Already ordered from GPS City will be here on Monday.
I did get the lifetime updates too it was $70.

I am trying to read thru this thread and absorb all the info but this is a very large thread.

Let the learning curve begin....

Thanks
Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #7574
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,698
Map storage on the micro card

New 600 owner here. I have the topo US 24k west and the north central maps loaded into Basecamp. I finally, after a few attempts, successfully loaded the 24k west onto the 600 micro card. Wow, it took like 8 hours but it worked. My questions is can I down load my north central map onto the same card? Will it mess with the map that's on there now? It's a 16 gig card so that should be plenty of storage space.

The back story as to why I'm asking is that when I was having problems getting the 24k west map to load I tried selecting just half the map at a time to up load. That worked great but when I tried loading the other half of the same map it wrote over the first half I had previously loaded. The only way to load the entire map was by selecting the entire map and loading it all at once.

Now that I have spent so much time getting my 24k west map loaded I really don't want to mess it up. And I really wanted these two maps on the same micro card.

Thanks everyone.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #7575
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
New 600 owner here. I have the topo US 24k west and the north central maps loaded into Basecamp. I finally, after a few attempts, successfully loaded the 24k west onto the 600 micro card. Wow, it took like 8 hours but it worked. My questions is can I down load my north central map onto the same card? Will it mess with the map that's on there now? It's a 16 gig card so that should be plenty of storage space.

The back story as to why I'm asking is that when I was having problems getting the 24k west map to load I tried selecting just half the map at a time to up load. That worked great but when I tried loading the other half of the same map it wrote over the first half I had previously loaded. The only way to load the entire map was by selecting the entire map and loading it all at once.

Now that I have spent so much time getting my 24k west map loaded I really don't want to mess it up. And I really wanted these two maps on the same micro card.

Thanks everyone.
Sounds like you are using Mapsource?

If you use BaseCamp (and you should), you will not have the issue of overwriting maps on the uSD Card.

Everything you need to know about loading maps on your Montana can be found here.