Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #75931
mill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
The only o-ring on a BST40 carburetor that can cause overflowing when it fails is the float needle seat o-ring.
So if the oring that holds the float up tight to the body fails, this couldn't cause overflow???? In my method of thinking, if the float wasn't tight in it's positioning and fell down loose inside the bowl, the needle (which is attached to the float) would not be positioned in it's proper location and would not seat, hence causing the overflow.

Regardless....all I know is that I was broken down in MX due to a problem that I payed a shop to address, and they didn't. I replaced the dried out orings McGuyver style, and was able to complete the next 900 miles of my journey and made it to my destination.

And yes...I will be interested in one of your rebuild kits and "fuel enrichment" plungers to take with me upon my return in July. I will be sending you an email soon. Thank you for your condescending "tone"

Regards

Dick
mill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #75932
spotlight
Noob

Oddometer: 57
Not sure if my post went through on my smart phone.....I would assume JB weld in the hole would serve the same purpose......and tomorrow I plan to remove that locking nut and see if the axle has a cotter pin hole....bit it seems to work fine maybe they changed something on the 13.....no clue....thanks for the tips and pics
spotlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #75933
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
So if the oring that holds the float up tight to the body fails, this couldn't cause overflow???? In my method of thinking, if the float wasn't tight in it's positioning and fell down loose inside the bowl, the needle (which is attached to the float) would not be positioned in it's proper location and would not seat, hence causing the overflow.
The needle seat o-ring and the cold start enrichment feed pipe o-ring sort of hold the float cage in place when the bowl is off. When the bowl is installed, there are three plastic tabs attached to the cage that hold it more securely in place by being sandwiched between the main carburetor body and float bowl.
Quote:
And yes...I will be interested in one of your rebuild kits and "fuel enrichment" plungers to take with me upon my return in July. I will be sending you an email soon.
Sounds good. Whenever you are ready.
Quote:
Thank you for your condescending "tone"
I try to stick to the point. I don't mean to offend.

Regards,

Derek

motolab screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 09:25 PM
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #75934
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post

Regardless....all I know is that I was broken down in MX due to a problem that I payed a shop to address, and they didn't. I replaced the dried out orings McGuyver style, and was able to complete the next 900 miles of my journey and made it to my destination.

And yes...I will be interested in one of your rebuild kits and "fuel enrichment" plungers to take with me upon my return in July. I will be sending you an email soon. Thank you for your condescending "tone"

Regards

Dick
Although condescending at times, Derek is only attempting to be accurate, very accurate. Once you understand that, he makes complete sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
Not sure if my post went through on my smart phone.....I would assume JB weld in the hole would serve the same purpose......and tomorrow I plan to remove that locking nut and see if the axle has a cotter pin hole....but it seems to work fine maybe they changed something on the 13.....no clue....thanks for the tips and pics
JB weld in what hole?

Quote:
The needle seat o-ring and the cold start enrichment feed pipe o-ring sort of hold the float cage in place when the bowl is off. When the bowl is installed, there are three plastic tabs attached to the cage that hold it more securely in place by being sandwiched between the main carburetor body and float bowl. Sounds good. Whenever you are ready. I tend to stick to the point. I don't mean to offend.

Regards,

Derek
Here are two of the three plastic tabs Derek is talking about.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #75935
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Self torquing axle nuts are garbage and may damage your axle threads. Old news. Stay with the quality, made in Japan, Suzuki Castle nut. It works.
Ahem... The Fuji-Lock axle nut IS an OEM Suzuki part. It's been standard issue on DR650s since 2005.

I've never heard of self torquing nuts. What a brilliant labor saving idea.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #75936
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
BST40 carbs have cold start enrichment circuits instead of chokes. A choke is closed when an engine is cold and opened when it is warm, whereas a fuel enrichment circuit is opened when the engine is cold and closed when it is warm. A choke works by restricting the air flow, whereas an enrichment circuit works by adding extra fuel. A choke requires a fast idle cam or something akin to it (or you have to hold the throttle open manually), whereas an enrichment circuit adds a little extra air simultaneously with the extra fuel, so the fast idle is already built in.
Maybe I missed this before 'tween all the carb posts but I finally understand the difference. Thx for the brief description.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #75937
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Well, put my klr in the flea market and hoping to make the switch to a dr. Can't afford to spend a lot right now, so I'll be buying used and hopefully modded to my liking.

What about should I expect if all goes well, compared to the klr? I currently also own a plated XRR, I imagine a dr will be somewhere in the middle. I'm actually thinking about selling the xr next, assuming the dr is good enough off road. I think it will be.

I can see that in stock form the dr isn't really a 'highway' bike, but it seems like with a windshield it'll compare to my 2005 klr, or at least be close enough. I have a taller windshield and heated grips on it, got me spoiled a bit. I'm planning a mostly paved and light off-road 3,000 mile trip this summer, need to consider such things. The guy I'm going with is on a klr and rides it like a motocross bike. It gets interesting following him sometimes.

From all I've seen there is basically no issue with getting the bike hot, I guess for one reason or another it just plain works. Actually I haven't seen any issues that seem to really plauge the dr's, except for the third gear that seems to be fairly rare.

I pack light normally, so I don't see luggage being much of a concern. Some wolfman bags and a small luggage rack should do me. The bag I use on my luggage rack is about 20" long, I'm pretty sure it can fit longways. It basically fits everything I need, I'll just lose the back seat cooler storage.

Hopefully this can work. I tried to get a dr last fall, ended up with a trade deal for the klr and somewhat regret doing it. If anyone's looking to trade I'm listening.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 AM   #75938
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
intimantors install help

Hi,

I'm installing ricor intiminator and have some questions:

The current oil level, without any spring (or anything) fully compressed, is about 180mm from top of for to start of fork oil or about 7 inches.

Do I fill to this level after intiminator is back in and fill to 6.5 inches (fully compressed), as per the instruction on this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468588

Preload:

If the base thickness of the intiminator is around 15mm or so; can I just remove this amount from my spacers to give my my original preload??

thanks heaps
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:41 AM   #75939
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by procycle View Post
Ahem... The Fuji-Lock axle nut IS an OEM Suzuki part. It's been standard issue on DR650s since 2005.
And my 2001 has one too
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:42 AM   #75940
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Hi,

The current oil level, without any spring (or anything) fully compressed, is about 180mm from top of for to start of fork oil or about 7 inches.

Do I fill to this level after intiminator is back in and fill to 6.5 inches (fully compressed), as per the instruction on this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468588

Preload:

If the base thickness of the intiminator is around 15mm or so; can I just remove this amount from my spacers to give my my original preload??

thanks heaps
I'd go to 160mm from the top and if you're using the original springs, leave the spacers at stock length.

Original preload is usually not enough preload...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:38 AM   #75941
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,137
Quote:

From what I have heard a "self torquing nut was not possible last time I heard...that is if u want any kind of accuracy.....
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #75942
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Well, put my klr in the flea market and hoping to make the switch to a dr. Can't afford to spend a lot right now, so I'll be buying used and hopefully modded to my liking.

What about should I expect if all goes well, compared to the klr? I currently also own a plated XRR, I imagine a dr will be somewhere in the middle. I'm actually thinking about selling the xr next, assuming the dr is good enough off road. I think it will be.

I can see that in stock form the dr isn't really a 'highway' bike, but it seems like with a windshield it'll compare to my 2005 klr, or at least be close enough. I have a taller windshield and heated grips on it, got me spoiled a bit. I'm planning a mostly paved and light off-road 3,000 mile trip this summer, need to consider such things. The guy I'm going with is on a klr and rides it like a motocross bike. It gets interesting following him sometimes.

From all I've seen there is basically no issue with getting the bike hot, I guess for one reason or another it just plain works. Actually I haven't seen any issues that seem to really plauge the dr's, except for the third gear that seems to be fairly rare.

I pack light normally, so I don't see luggage being much of a concern. Some wolfman bags and a small luggage rack should do me. The bag I use on my luggage rack is about 20" long, I'm pretty sure it can fit longways. It basically fits everything I need, I'll just lose the back seat cooler storage.

Hopefully this can work. I tried to get a dr last fall, ended up with a trade deal for the klr and somewhat regret doing it. If anyone's looking to trade I'm listening.
The only thing I found was there was a lot more room on my 03 KLR for comfort when on long adventures and less need for bigger tank...Just fixt the doohucky and every thing was fine then I got the idea I needed something different. What year is ur KLR?
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #75943
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,280
Quote:
BST40 carbs have cold start enrichment circuits instead of chokes. A choke is closed when an engine is cold and opened when it is warm, whereas a fuel enrichment circuit is opened when the engine is cold and closed when it is warm. A choke works by restricting the air flow, whereas an enrichment circuit works by adding extra fuel.
Regards,

Derek
Holy schmoley, I hope you guys are writing this down.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #75944
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 560
The stock spacers were to much preload with the Intiminators when I first installed them. Ride was very ruff. Called Ricor and talked to a tech. After taking his advise to make a shorter preload spacer I am extremely happy with the performance of the front forks. Sorry but don't exactly remember the oil level that I set but belive it was 6 inches.

TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Hi,

Preload:

thanks heaps
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #75945
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,437
Quote:

Imagine all the mishaps that those would prevent.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote