User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

Oddometer: 307
Mendocino-o-OH!!

Two of my friends, Kharon & Holly, were celebrating their half-century birth days and invited some friends to join them in Little River (near Mendocino) at the Andiron Lodge for a weekend of fun and frivolity. I decided to ride since the weather was looking good and I wanted to do a little reserach for the Manchester ride... plus there were some roads I hadn't ridden in a long time and wanted to check out again. So I left early on Saturday and slabbed it over to Hwy. 1, Panoramic Hwy, and then Ridgecrest Drive along the top of Mt. Tamalpais... it was cool and quite breezy but the views were stellar... http://tinyurl.com/d4dm56g

Oh yeah... :)

Ridgecrest dives deep into the redwoods and meets up with Fairfax-Bolinas Rd...

Lake Alpine

Scooted along Sir Francis Drake Blvd. and a few Marin backroads... the entire weekend was blessedly either free of traffic or well-behaved drivers who used the turnouts they way they're supposed to use them!

Platform Bridge Rd.

Chileno Valley Rd.

Popped back out onto Hwy. 1 and stopped for a break in Tomales, a popular stop for motorcyclists...

As I chatted with a couple of gents, we watched a stream of Corvettes go by... they had been passing by for a good 20-30 minutes in groups of 10-20... saw them later farther north on 1 in a beach parking lot... looked to be at least 100 all different models, years, and colors... very pretty!

Dangerous Curves
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

Suited back up and headed north again... now it was REALLY windy and had a couple of challenging moments when the winds would come whipping up the sides of the cliffs and slam into you... but it was still really pretty to look at!

Wheeeeeeee!!

I originally was going to check out a couple of other roads but in the interest of time and getting to the Andiron at a decent time, I just decided to wing it straight up 1... however, those plans were re-routed when there was an accident near Sea Horse Ranch so they had closed that section down and were detouring traffic along a couple of roads that are less than conducive 4-wheel vehicles, much less 2-way traffic! The first part was Timber Cove Rd. lulling cars into a false sense of security...

Then it was onto Seaview Rd. which had sections that were barely wide enough for one vehicle... to say I proceeded with caution around those blind hairpins was an understatement!

Then Hauser Bridge to Tin Barn Rd., both narrow, goaty, and beautiful...

I saw this driveway and thought it'd be a cool setting for a photo opp so I pulled in and started to turn the bike around when something on the ground caught my eye... GULP!

I wondered what had picked clean the poor creature and then got a little spooked... got the shot and got the hell outta there!

And finally, Stewarts Point Rd. (the west end of Skaggs Springs)...

Reminded me of the Swiss Alps or something... stunningly gorgeous!

Dangerous Curves
Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

As I came back out to Hwy. 1, I waved at the flagman and yelled, "That was FUN!!" which made him laugh as I doubt there many that were thrilled with the detour... now at this point, let's do a little thinking here... I managed to stay in front of the pack of cars gingerly winding their way through the detour... so that means what? NO CARS IN FRONT OF ME!!! And that means, it was now re-named the PCTRH (Pacific Coast Tyler Risk Highway) because I had the whole thing to myself!!! I didn't take my luck for granted so didn't stop much for photos... having too much fun!

If there's ever a tsunami in the Point Arena area, go here...

Arrived at the Andiron still in plenty of time to kick back, have a glass of wine and visit with friends before we started dinner...

Cara and Scott got a kick out of the fact that their SmartCar was actually a wee bit shorter in length and the same wheelbase as the Spyder...

My home away from home for the evening...

Ummmmm... okay...

Everyone had brought food to bbq outside... these three look like they're up to no good...

The place is dog-friendly and so is Cara as she played the Dog Whisperer (the cheese helped)...

Sunset...

Did you know that Peeps, when cooked on an open flame, taste like chicken... no wait, I mean, creme broulee?? It's true!!

Dangerous Curves
Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

It was very cold so we all retired to our humble abodes and chatted until about midnight before retiring for the evening. The next morning we all met for coffee and toast and bid goodbye to our friends and 4-legged creatures...

Scott and Cara had opted to accompany me on my backroads route home which included the smooth and creamy of Comptche-Ukiah Rd...

Wheeeeeeeee!!

Which then turns into the goaty and bumpy Orr Springs Rd...

It was a cool, clear, and beautiful day...

Scooted along 101 to 253 which is one of my personal favorites... again, no traffic so didn't stop much for photos because we were having too much fun... but it looked like this...

Into Boonville to scope out a couple of deli places and then out 128 which starts out wide open and sweepers and then tightens up to some nice twisties as you get closer to Cloverdale...

Lunchtime... excellent bbq place outside of Cloverdale...

Then 128 and a myriad of little backroads through the wine country where the crops are in full swing...

Chalk Hill Rd...

Followed by Faught Rd., into the Calistoga area and through St. Helena via St. Helena Rd. and Spring Mountain Rd., Silverado Trail to 121, Wooden Valley Rd. and then finally hitting that last hour or so to slab it home (those are the times I wish I could beam me home, Scotty!)... I arrived home exhausted but happy... I forgot that longer, multi-day rides require stamina and conditioning and I was out of shape! Guess I'll have to do some more training...

FIN

Dangerous Curves
Old 04-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,794
Lovely day for a ride... couple months and it will be (mostly) brown.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117

Awesome report man!

y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Tyler OP
Miss Demeanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
Lovely day for a ride... couple months and it will be (mostly) brown.
I believe that would be "golden" not brown...

Dangerous Curves
Old 04-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
What a beautiful place to ride. Those roads are beyond words. So is the landscape.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Tommy J
Dockworker

Oddometer: 86
Hi Tyler

Thanks for the weekend road report and pics.
'75 HONDA CB400F
Tommy J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
OMG! I need to go there. Soon! Nice post-up thx
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
wschan1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Love your photos. Thank you for sharing!
wschan1 is offline   Reply With Quote