Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #151
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I guess that makes sense to you. But the rest of us were talking about Husky and KTM. Both of which are fuel injected for everything but the two strokes.

and...I pointed out that a dealer can't work on EFI, even under warranty.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #152
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,472
Quote:
I guess that makes sense to you. But the rest of us were talking about Husky and KTM. Both of which are fuel injected for everything but the two strokes.
Not everybody is riding or maintaining a 2012 or 2013 FI KTM. Lots of carb'ed models running around. My 2011 530 being one,It runs just fine.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #153
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Some of these comments just irk. Dealer network...parts availability...blah blah blah.
Bunch of keyboard jockies. Some of you really need to get out and ride more, type less.

There are plenty of husky owners that love their bikes, have no trouble keeping them running. And there are plenty of other brands of bikes that have virtually no dealer support. Gee, just how do they manage??? Beta, GasGas, Sherco, MotoGuzzi, are just a few that come to mind. I wouldn't hesitate to own any one of them if that was the bike that fit my riding.

If you can't support your bike yourself without a dealer, buy a jap bike. But don't come on here and whine about husky dealer network.

I ride. Couple hundred thousand miles over all the states west of the Rockys. No big deal, I am just old.

Used to do the Noobs ride before it was 200 riders to 2 toilets. You see I ride to those events. I will be at Warp this spring, if you want to talk about it. Tell me what you are trailering up and I will ride something appropriate.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #154
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I ride. Couple hundred thousand miles over all the states west of the Rockys. No big deal, I am just old.

Used to do the Noobs ride before it was 200 riders to 2 toilets. You see I ride to those events. I will be at Warp this spring, if you want to talk about it. Tell me what you are trailering up and I will ride something appropriate.

Yes, I know Gary. It wasn't directed at you, you know how to care for a bike. We don't need no stinking dealers.

PSR brings in a bunch of porta-potties for the rally, we rent out the whole place, so it's not a problem.

I have not done WARPED yet but maybe this year. I had trouble getting enthused about an event that was about drinking first and then maybe some riding. But my buddies that have gone to them got some riding in and had a good time so it's a maybe. I do like to drink beer.

Yeah, I'm old too. Been riding since before some of these whipper-snappers were born.

We really otta have a north-south meetup thingy for ADV. I can ride up on the Tiger, or trailer the TE. Either is a good time. Terrain dictates.

Don't you have a F8? We are starting to get some mid-state guys and from Nevada that are coming down and joining some of these, especially when we get north. There's lots of good exploring to be done in the Sierras. Keep me posted.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #155
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
At the end of the day, the success of Husky will depend largely on:

- A dealer network
- Parts availabilty

Not sure I see either in the near future. (who will provide parts for existing models?)
Provided the engine etc. lasts I cannot forsee needing more than ancillary pieces. If an engine rebuild were ever required I'm sure there are plenty of suppliers about to provide the parts. TBH I stopped worrying about this type of stuff years ago. Otherwise I would never own anything but Japanese.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.

SQD8R screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 04:22 PM
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #156
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
In the USA nobody has a more dismal dealer "network" than Husky. Which is the main reason I don't have a TE250/310 in my garage. The only one I ever saw was at the DC motorcycle show. So there is no way that will be a step backward for Husky in the USA. Going backwards would be a negative number.

On the other hand KTM dealers here are relatively common. The two KTM dealers I use are better stocked than the Japanese shops I used for my Hondas and Yamahas. But KTM has so few models and so much commonality in engines compared to Japanese brands that the latter is no surprise.

I like the Terra and I am glad it is selling well here but it isn't my thing. And we don't even get the Nuda here. Therefore I could care less about parts and support for BMW based models. My interest would be in the WR's and TE310. All of of which are original Husky DNA rather than BMW based designs.
You've never heard of Husaberg, GasGas (talk about a screwed up dealer network and parts distribution) Beta, Sherco,...etc?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #157
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Dude View Post
You've never heard of Husaberg, GasGas (talk about a screwed up dealer network and parts distribution) Beta, Sherco,...etc?
Didn't I just say that??????

Seriously, did you see where OSSA was going to come out with a DI 2-stroke dirtbike? When I was a kid my riding buddy had a OSSA Stilleto and the motor was funky so he installed a Ducati 250 4-stroke in it. At the time Honda had a 350 Scrambler. They were pretty cool with straight pipes and a knobby. Hell, we even took a S90 and made a dirtbike out of it. Was faster than a Trail 90.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #158
BarberPole
Short of the Clacker

Oddometer: 30
Yessir

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
So....

Where is the Saudi money?
Remember they pump oil?

The money is in Brit banks and the Brits own India(always did) but the Saudis own England so that means the Saudis own India. Can the Indians stand alone or do they need London?

Dude it's about Central banking and a world leveraged 1000/1.

Don't even think about Dubai or Geneva.

Merkel is just a poodle.

A big poodle.

As the Brits threaten to leave the Euro Union.
It's currency wars played like spoons.
A mad grab is coming.

IMHO.
bill
You are so correct.

ZeroHedge baby.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #159
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R View Post
Provided the engine etc. lasts I cannot forsee needing more than ancillary pieces. If an engine rebuild were ever required I'm sure there are plenty of suppliers about to provide the parts. TBH I stopped worrying about this type of stuff years ago. Otherwise I would never own anything but Japanese.
Rotax engines have a reputation for being long lived. This version is basically a warmed over BMW G650. Most of the mods are in the upper end.

The engine has a higher CR. It uses a forged piston instead of cast and weighs less. I suspect the lighter weight crank is the G650 crank with some weight removed to keep the engine in balance. It has larger valves and different cams. At the very least, the head has been re contoured. There is mention of changes with the combustion chamber and/or ports in head. It uses different size spark plugs.

Enough is different that you won't be using G650 parts, without some modifications. I am sure that routine service will use the same shims, oil filters, gaskets as the G650. The water pump should be the same. I bet fuel pumps, stators, regulators and injectors are all Bosch right off the G650. I am not sure about the fuel controller.

The only concern I would have is the Marelli ecu. The timing and FI will be unique to this engine.

Usually they are pretty robust. But the one in my F800gs, apparently lost some memory and required a reboot. If some one has the Moss and the maps then maybe not a worry.

itsatdm screwed with this post 02-15-2013 at 09:39 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #160
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 356
ouch...

An italian motorcycle blog is reporting that has been announced that the Husqvarna factory in Varese will "temporarily" stop the production this forthcoming August. The question is: will it ever start again? or will it somewhere else?

Here is the link to the website (in italian only):
http://www.motoblog.it/post/134629/h...ione-da-agosto
Old 04-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #161
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post
An italian motorcycle blog is reporting that has been announced that the Husqvarna factory in Varese will "temporarily" stop the production this forthcoming August. The question is: will it ever start again? or will it somewhere else?

Let the fire sale begin.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880009

They'll probably rebadge KTM's for 2014.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #162
avianello
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Confirmed

The news seem confirmed by Motociclismo, the major motorcycle magazine in Italy: http://www.motociclismo.it/husqvarna...one-moto-54772
Old 04-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #163
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Let the fire sale begin.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880009

They'll probably rebadge KTM's for 2014.
I was at Gateway BMW/Husky in St.Louis on Tuesday. I asked the salesman if they were going to keep selling Huskies and he said the word he got was yes they were. I asked if there were any rebates or big sales coming up and he said no. They wanted full list for the Stradas they had in stock.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #164
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by auguzt View Post

Cafe Husky has a link to a translated version: I share the concern but found the wording hard to understand clearly - this could be a typical European August holiday shutdown ---- or something more ominous.
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #165
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,161
So based on the latest press release, it appears that the Husqvarna nameplate will remain, and the Husaberg nameplate is destined to fade into obscurity.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote