ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
MOLAHS OP
Sisyphus
 
MOLAHS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane
Oddometer: 1,650
19/ 990 Adv wheels

Seeking advice on using an Alpina 19" front tubeless wheel and keeping the 18" rear. Any potential problems, handling and/or otherwise ? Do you need to shorten the sidestand ? Will the centre stand be OK ? The reason for the request on 19/18 info is from a cost POV and the fact in OZ you can import up to $1000 w/o duty wheras two wheels 19/17 would be way over that limit.
__________________
The Myth of Sisyphus

MOLAHS screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 01:27 AM
MOLAHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
kingrj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
kingrj's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLAHS View Post
Seeking advice on using an Alpina 19" front tubeless wheel and keeping the 18" rear. Any potential problems, handling and/or otherwise ? Do you need to shorten the sidestand ? Will the centre stand be OK ? The reason for the request on 19/18 info is from a cost POV and the fact in OZ you can import up to $1000 w/o duty wheras two wheels 19/17 would be way over that limit.
I can only tell you what switching to the 19/17 did but I had to shorten the side stand by an inch. The center stand still works fine but it is a hell-of-a-lift to get it up on there now..keeping your 18 on the rear should make it easier. Handling on the road will be much improved. That fat 19 on the front will bite much better in hard cornering than the 21..You will lose some trail but I only noticed stability issues when passing large trucks. Enjoy!
kingrj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac
 
mcmann's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Jefferson, GA
Oddometer: 1,442
The 18" rear works fine with a 19" front . . . Try maximum spring tension in the rear to offset lowering the front for the side stand.
__________________
Young at heart . . . Never met a bike I didn't like
Motorcycles: my Happy medicine

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,636
you don't need to shorten the sidestand, just put a washer under the ss mounting plate at the lower bolt, in order to change the angle or deployment.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
tomdubz
getting there
 
tomdubz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Wandering
Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
you don't need to shorten the sidestand, just put a washer under the ss mounting plate at the lower bolt, in order to change the angle or deployment.
Genius!
__________________
This is my signature: TD
tomdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
MOLAHS OP
Sisyphus
 
MOLAHS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Brisbane
Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
you don't need to shorten the sidestand, just put a washer under the ss mounting plate at the lower bolt, in order to change the angle or deployment.
Thanks for that advice. I gather that there is not a problem with the wider 19" rim alongside the std 18" rear rim ?
__________________
The Myth of Sisyphus
MOLAHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer
 
mousitsas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLAHS View Post
Thanks for that advice. I gather that there is not a problem with the wider 19" rim alongside the std 18" rear rim ?
Not a problem, but expect to fiddle a bit with suspension settings to set it where you want.
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014