Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #286
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Oddometer: 111
Thanks MJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainJ View Post
GP, thanks for the latest installment. Stunning sunset picture. I have a buddy heading over to that area in 2 weeks for his "dream hunt". Not my thing anymore... hunting, but he will be staying with me in Denver for a night layover on his way to S Africa. I will show him your report/pics. It must be fun reliving this while posting. I still go back and spend time reliving my 3 weeks in Nepal back in 2009. Each pic puts my right back there again. Each year that passes has me yearning to travel like that again even more.
Cheers!!
What part of Denver? I grew up in Colorado, just outside of Aspen in the Roaring Fork Valley. Despite all my travels, it is still my favorite place on the planet.

And yes...it has been energizing to finish this RR. I have been going back through all of the photos, and I was amazed at how each photo and journal entry took me right back to that exact moment. I know that I will return to Africa, but I will do so on a solo trip. Being part of a tour was a great way to dive into the African experience and get my feet wet, but I long for more of a raw experience. I am getting ready to launch out on the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route this summer, and then Australia next year. Just me and a few of my mates riding, camping, laughing, and of course drinking! That's my style. Thanks for following along!

GP
Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #287
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Thanks for following!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
+1!!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #288
mountainJ
I wanna RIDE!

Oddometer: 158
Living in the S. Denver area now with my wife and family. Originally moved to Breckenridge Co in '98 and lived the ski bum life for 7 years. I love the Aspen area as well. Have done a couple multi-day backpacks in the Maroon Bells Wilderness Area and spent many Bourbon soaked nights at Margies and McNamara huts.

I'm sure you mentioned it somewhere in your report but what part of AZ are you in. My in-laws just bought a home in Green Valley, outside of Tuscon, and will be spending Feb-April there each year. I'm sure I will fly the family down and ride to meet them at some point. If you're close I'll let you know my plans, maybe next year.
mJ
mountainJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #289
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Mazambala Lodge

I had a little free time this evening and put together a quick video highlighting the Mazambala Lodge which I spoke about in my last RR. This place was truly amazing, and the river safari was nothing short of spectacular. Looking back, I wish I had more still video of the evenings and the safaris. Most of my footage was shot with a GOPRO mounted to my helmet during the actual rides. I know how POV footage can get old really fast. I got tired watching my own footage!

http://youtu.be/H451VrlDMvM
Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #290
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainJ View Post

I'm sure you mentioned it somewhere in your report but what part of AZ are you in. My in-laws just bought a home in Green Valley, outside of Tuscon, and will be spending Feb-April there each year. I'm sure I will fly the family down and ride to meet them at some point. If you're close I'll let you know my plans, maybe next year.
mJ
Give me shout when you are heading down to AZ. I am in the Scottsdale area and there are some amazing tracks around here. Green Valley is a great launching point for rides down to Baja!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #291
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Overland Expo 2013

I was sorting through photos and came up on a collection from the Overland Expo last year in Flagstaff. This expo is nothing short of inspiring and is guaranteed to make you want to quit your day job and wander aimlessly around the planet. A big highlight for me was meeting the legendary Ted Simon. He possesses a calmness and confidence about him which can only be achieved from decades of wandering. He is a true adventurer.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

My buddies Tim, Jimmy, and Billy all flew into Phoenix for the event. Tim arrived from New Jersey, Jimmy from Seattle, and Billy from the UK. It was great great to reunite with the three of them and ride again.

They rented bikes locally and we took the long way up to the Expo. One can easily drive the Interstate between Phoenix and Flagstaff in under 2 hours if you are in a hurry. Our route was 297 miles mostly off road and took nearly 9 hours. A much better option.

We launched from my home into the 105 degree weather and descended into the Apache Trail. This follows the Salt River Canyon as is meanders along the Saguaro, Canyon, Apache, and Roosevelt Lakes. We then headed into the mountains to the quirky little town of Young, Az.

From here, we hopped on Forest Road 300 and rode along the majestic Mogollon Rim above Payson, Arizona. A stunning ride with dramatic views and great twisties. Finally, we jumped on Lake Mary Road to end up at the Expo at Mormon Lake.

The Expo itself was quite a spectacle. There were numerous venders offering every service and luxury imaginable for the serious overlander. I was envious of some of the rigs these people had. We are talking about vehicles in excess of $500,000. I was immediately drawn to the earth Roamers and the Sportsmobiles. Those beasts are the bomb!

Until I hit the jackpot, I will stick with my 2 wheeled setup. It can get me anywhere I need to go and costs less than $20 to fill up.

Numerous bikes were on display including BMW and KTM. All the tire vendors were there showing off their new rubber. Classes and clinics were ongoing throughout the day and included first aid, rollover techniques, and riding techniques. Rayhyde put on a great demo for Dual Sport riders and had participants ride their bike along the man made course with hill climbs, whoops, and jumps.

I decided to suit up and give it a shot. A fun little course!

The group stayed at the Monte Vista in downtown Flagstaff. This quaint hotel is in the heart of Flagstaff and is quite the scene. The lobby bar has been a gathering place for weary travelers for decades. Like usual, we stayed up late, drank too much, and suffered the next morning.

The next day, Tim and Jimmy headed out to check out the Grand Canyon while Billy and I wandered the Expo.

That evening,Billy decided to camp out at the expo and froze his ass off. I believe the temp dropped down into the high 20's. I decided to opt for more luxurious accommodations and stayed at a friends house in town.

Billy woke to find this ugly little FF staring back at him!

We headed back to the "Valley of the Sun" the next day. Our route home did not include any gravel roads, but it was just as much fun. The temp steadily climbed from 50 degrees back up to over 100 degrees.

It is hard to act manly when you are posing next to a pink jeep!

From the expo, we dropped down into Sedona along the Oak River Canyon. This provided miles of twisties through a deep canyon. We then proceeded to the historic ghost town of Jerome AZ...the wickedest town in the west. We had a great lunch at a restauratnt overlooking the valley, and then blasted off for another long section of fast twisties before arriving back in Phoenix.

My wife and I are going to attend the EXPO again this year in Flagstaff. We are going to camp out this time and soak it all in. Billy Ward, who is Charley Boorman's tour manager, will be there with a stand this year. I am still waiting on final confirmation as to whether Charley himself will be there. If you are in the area, stop by Charley's and Billy's booth and share your story. We will all be camping out, riding motorcycles, drinking beer, and sharing stories. It should be a great weekend!

globalpilot4 screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 12:22 PM
globalpilot4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #292
douthers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Just wanted to say that your reports are superb. Amusing and inspirational. Thanks for taking the time to post all the images and movies. Stay safe.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #293
feldjäger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Awesome report! Charley has a great thing going there, and hope he expands it. The guy really took off with this whole adv thing in the right way. I'll be in Flagstaff as well I hope to run into you. I'll be the guy with the GSA that has a German flag on the panier with Arabic writing, sure I'm the only one of those running around.
feldjäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #294
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Thanks Douthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by douthers View Post
Just wanted to say that your reports are superb. Amusing and inspirational. Thanks for taking the time to post all the images and movies. Stay safe.
I appreciate the feedback. I try to keep the RRs entertaining!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #295
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Expo

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldjäger View Post
Awesome report! Charley has a great thing going there, and hope he expands it. The guy really took off with this whole adv thing in the right way. I'll be in Flagstaff as well I hope to run into you. I'll be the guy with the GSA that has a German flag on the panier with Arabic writing, sure I'm the only one of those running around.
Feldjager, I look forward to meeting you at the Expo as well. Swing by the booth and meet the gang. Are you camping out as well?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #296
rod172
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thank you for sharing these ride reports. Very inspiring indeed.
rod172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #297
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod172 View Post
Thank you for sharing these ride reports. Very inspiring indeed.
Thanks for following. I have done some amazing rides in TN when i used to live in Nashville. Beautiful area!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #298
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Small world ...

Just came across this RR today. As reading through and looking at pics, I saw a familiar face. In post 232, I am pretty sure the guy decked out in the black suit (w/ yellow stripes) is an old university friend, Matt. Haven't seen him in years but keep current on his great bachelor life adventures.
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #299
globalpilot4 OP
GSPilot4

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Rick View Post
Just came across this RR today. As reading through and looking at pics, I saw a familiar face. In post 232, I am pretty sure the guy decked out in the black suit (w/ yellow stripes) is an old university friend, Matt. Haven't seen him in years but keep current on his great bachelor life adventures.
Your are correct. It was Canadian Matt. I didn't really spend much time with him on the trip, and I'm not sure where he is now. Small world though!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #300
65bmwr50
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
BMW Motorrad USA

They had a link to Charlie's web-site about a ride in Africa this year. You follow the link and he has a link to this report on his page. Pretty cool.

An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered. - G. K. Chesterton
65bmwr50 is offline   Reply With Quote