ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Oddometer: 48
N. Phoenix to Prescott 4/19 afternoon

Im going to be headed up to Prescott for the weekend tomorrow afternoon. If anyone wants to join for some or all of the ride up there let me know.

My goal is to be on the trail at about 2:30 PM and here is my intended route:

N El Paso Gas Pipeline Rd from Lake Pleasant / Carefree Hwy to Table Mesa Rd, then

Table Mesa to Black Canyon City, then

Maggie Mine Rd from Black Canyon City to Crown King Rd to Bumbble Bee

From here I will either:

A) go up to Crown King then take F.R. 52 (I think thats the number) over to Senator Rd through Palace Station to Prescott

or

B) go through Old Cordes Junction to Mayor to Poland Junction and take Poland Junction past Mt Union look out to where it connects to Old Senator Hwy into Prescott

The A/B decision will be made dependant on if anyone joins me, what they are riding and what they are comfortable with. The A route is easier than the B route because it lacks the rocky hill climbs of Poland Rd up by Mt Union. I have ridden both routes (last weekend) on my WR250R and Im somewhat of a nOOb. Total distance is about 70'ish miles.

Again, for me this will be a one way trip for the weekend. If anyone wants to do some but not all of it there are bailouts close to the 17 at the end of each leg above. There is also lots of Camping in the area for anyone wanting to make more out of it.

If anyone wants to join post up here and we will meet at the wild horse just south of Carefree Hwy on 99th ave at about 2:15'ish.
7164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Here is how you get from Table Mesa to BCC without using I-17... except backwards. It's not too difficult with the exception of one short gnarly little hill climb up out of the creek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Interested in the power line rd connecting BCC & Tablemesa?
I've found two different ways and there is rumor of a third but I've not explored it yet. This one would probably take the longest as it is 4.8 miles longer than taking the direct route via Interstate but so far, it is my favorite.

To reach the start of the trail, from the intersection of Maggie Mine road and Old Black Canyon Highway,
Depart S Coldwater Rd toward S Summit Dr
0.9 miBear left onto E Squaw Valley Rd
0.8 mi
Turn left onto S Melanie Ln
0.1 miTurn right onto E Tara Springs Rd
0.4 mi

Turn right just after the road turns from pavement to dirt. Don't turn too soon as it will just take you up somebodies driveway with a lot of barking dogs!

After a little wiggle to pass under I17...

Here is what the overall trail looks like from top to bottom...

According to MapSource, we spent 40 minutes enjoying this section of trail.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
terb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
There's a trail that stays on the west side of I-17 I think its #9998 and comes out at Rock Springs. You can also go towards Tip Top Mine and instead of turning left at the corral to go to the mine, go straight for about six miles and that will bring you out by the old greyhound dog race track on the north end of town on Maggie Mine road. Then turn left to go to Bumble Bee.
terb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
7164 OP
1 above potato patch

Oddometer: 48
Dirtklod:

Thanks for the info, wish I had it last weekend. I actually ended up in the greyhound park by accident.

I came down Maggie Mine Rd and right before it turns to pavement I saw a little trail and took it south to where it dead ended into what looks on Google maps to be Steven Blvd. I turned east and found it was closed for reclamation but there was a trail that went under a tree and when I took it I dumped into the parking lot of the Greyhound park. I was completely bewildered! I have never seen it before and didn't see it coming so it was a huge shock. Unfortunately I was stuck with no way out so I had to back track and get myself onto Maggie Mine Rd. I asked a few people about trails to connect me to Table Mesa or onto the Gas Line Rd and no one knew anything so I just jumped on the 17 at Rock Springs and went down to Table Mesa.

I think I have your directions pretty good if I wanted to get onto it from the North, but do you have directions on how to get onto it coming from the south, I assume at Table Mesa Rd or close to it?. Could you post up a Google earth map with a marking or two on it to show me where to get on it from the south and any need to make turns to stay on or get off it?

If not no worries. I think I'll have a little more time tomorrow than I thought to hunt around for it.

7164 screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 10:22 AM
7164 is offline   Reply With Quote