Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #14896
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,490
Trice, I see evidence of your Harley or JDs still lingering.

See you at Casona tomorrow to grab the tires and then on to MotoGP.

Wish I had the stamina and spine of Sjoerd.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #14897
aadal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Oaxaca hotels/places biker friendly

Hi dudes
I'm reaching Oaxaca tomorrow if the weather lets me do it in time and would like some advice on where to stay a couple of nights if anyone knows the town. I know it's a bit late though.
aadal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #14898
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,208
Avoid the Isthmus of Tehuantepec area. Winds and a cold front coming through strong tomorrow In the PM hours.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #14899
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadal View Post
Hi dudes
I'm reaching Oaxaca tomorrow if the weather lets me do it in time and would like some advice on where to stay a couple of nights if anyone knows the town. I know it's a bit late though.
Hotel Cantera Real on Calle Libres. Very comfortable with secure parking for ~$50.
PAPA
SJTRA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #14900
aadal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
That was quick!
Thanks both of you
I hope I don't get too weet tommorow, but hey today here in Poza Rica was awefull hot and i where weet but not from rain hehe
aadal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #14901
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Trice, I see evidence of your Harley or JDs still lingering.

See you at Casona tomorrow to grab the tires and then on to MotoGP.

Wish I had the stamina and spine of Sjoerd.
Ural parking.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #14902
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Baja Ferry

Baja Ferry from Mazatlan to LaPaz a great trip! About 18-19 hours. Standard room I had was two berths, not bunk, private bath with shower, little desk and chair, good ventilation, good sized window, certainly would have shared it with the right fellow passenger but that opportunity did not avail itself! Carry tie downs. Boat does not have them. You will leave most of your gear on the bike, good idea anyway because the room is small. Just plan what you need for over night including comfortable shoes or sandals...riding boots get tiresome. I highly recommend this trip...especially if the "cute Chinese couple" happen to be female acrobats. More later here and on my RR. I got to spend time on the bridge...that was a treat!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:49 AM   #14903
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
I highly recommend this trip...especially if the "cute Chinese couple" happen to be female acrobats.
Now there's a Penthouse Letter right there
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #14904
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

It was hot in Poza Rica because a north wind is coming through with a low pressure system coming from that storm that is sweeping across the USA.
If you are still on the coast, head inland at Guiterrez Zamora and get to Oaxaca via Tehuacan. Much better ride, much better scenery and get a cimita sandwich in Tehuacan. Weather will be up and down until Sunday.
Be real careful if you are planning on coming through Veracruz or using the route via Tierra Blanca.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #14905
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

AADL from Denmark, if you are looking for some good riding and interesting things, go to Papantla from Poza Rica, it is very close and you can visit the ruins of El Tajin. From there, head to Tlapacoyan and from there to Altotonga. Go from Altotonga to Perote and from Perote to Guadalupe Victoria, Puebla on the high plain, next head south to Ciudad Serdan on the old 5 haciendas route. Take note of the mountain range on your left as you just missed some of the best riding in Mexico but you would need a couple of days to take it all in. From Ciudad Serdan head to Azumbilla, then to Tehuacan and then down into Oaxaca on the "via rapida" (it is worth the half price discount you get). If you don't have to rush to Oaxaca, and you are going to stay in Ciudad Serdan, PM me and I will send you a route that will put a real big smile on your face.

This routing keeps you off the coast highway Mex #180 which is a seriously boring and messy stretch of road, especially with a north wind coming through like it is today. If you do the coastal route you will have the wind at your back but you will have truck after truck swerving around on the highway heading towards you as they move around a lot in the high winds. Add blowing sand and dirt and crap into that mix and it is misery.

If you are coming back through this area, PM me with your email address and I will send you a PDF ride guide file for the area here where I live.
The only interesting part of the Mex #180 is the stretch through the Tuxtlas but you will not likely be heading that way if you are heading into Oaxaca. If you do, you will be kicking yourself for what you missed.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #14906
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Papantla/ElTajin/Sierras

Do it! Follow Mike Mike's advice! Stay in Altogongo at Campanaria.... cheap, secure indoor parking... great "real" Mexican town. Not a lot of trouble to get into though.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #14907
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Too Many Cops

This goes for the stupid little "Tourist Cop" who lectured me yesterday when I pulled over into the bicycle lane and stopped at the curb to call the hotel for directions. "We have laws here señor, just like in your country, you are not supposed to be in the bicycle lane, end your call and move" I wanted to explain to him that in my country you were required to pull to the curb to stop unless it was posted no stopping. There are way too many cops in Mexico... for the most part they leave you alone... but the Transitos (town traffic cops) and now this Policia Turistico, whose job it evidently is to tell us gringos how to behave (I must say that there are many of us down here who need that talk. For some reason a lot of gringos come here thinking it gives them an asshole license and they use it freely, usually drunkenly). Hopefully that will be my last encounter with la policia. The Transitos and these "tourist cops" are like irritating little gnats that you can't swat. Because there are so many really irritating gringo tourists they lump us all as one... why should they be any different than we are about Mexicans in our country? Some of us behave really terribly down here, with no respect whatsoever for the culture and some of the folks here, naturally, get tired of it..
Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #14908
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I think we should all chip in and bring John Cleese in to deal with the "Tourist Cop"!

The Rocky Oyster can direct the scene. I hear an Emmy knocking...maybe even a Grammy! Good recorded trans-cultural humor has been sorely lacking as of late.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #14909
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Stop it. You're giving us hooligans a bad name!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #14910
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I've heard that hooliganism leads to loose axles and clunks over topes.
Maduro's little Venezuelan bird was in the tree outside the Mystery Rider's garage the other day...