The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Nice job. I love the custom mods. That headlight is amazing.
  2. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    That ebay stator is crap. it don't even fit! either wire is too short or the holes are drilled in the wrong spot. hopefully its just a piece of shit one and they send me a new one.
  3. kmequint

kmequint Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't want to rub it in, my Ricky Stator fit like a glove and the leads were a little longer than stock. :hmmmmm
  4. Reposado1800

Oddometer:
    I got my cylinder bored out. The Wiseco 11:1 is on and the jug too. Waiting now on my head to come back. Its like waiting for Christmas.
  5. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, my Ricky Stator fit right in, even plug and play with the wiring:clap
  6. Dropsix

Dropsix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are parts for this model getting harder to find? I'm shopping around for one but they are pretty hard to come by. Just want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot getting one and then not being able to find parts for it.
  7. Homerb

Homerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Reposado, l finally kicked my XL600 RMG in the guts the other day after fitting my 11:1 wiseco piston, kibblewhite valves and springs, and Staintune muffler. Couldnt believe it started first push of the button. (Yep, electric start).
    Sounds absolutely awesome. Just got to sort out the oil leaks from the oil cooler. Wish l could post some photos but l dont seem to be able to sort out the photobucket thing.
  8. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it turns out the seller sent the wrong one :fpalm

I just wanna ride dammnit....
  9. lookfar

Oddometer:
    Sort of dependant on where you are and what you want.
    Original plastics are nearly impossible to get, although some do crop up from time to time.

Most other parts are about, but somtimes you might have to wait for a bit or be prepared to ship from internationally.

HTH
  10. Dropsix

Dropsix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, being in Canada, they don't seem to be very abundant. Kinda going through that now with an old MR50. Getting parts for it sucks. Shipping takes a long time too.

Maybe I'm better off getting something a little newer.
  11. lookfar

Oddometer:
    Nah, stick with the XL, for me, that's half the fun..finding bits for it :ear

Was at a local bike shop here the other day (on the XL) and had nearly every bike mechanic in the place checking it out :D

I have re-built mine back to as it came from Honda (more or less)

12. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Parts are out there. As far as plastics go, you can get reproductions, and there is always eBay.

I have purchased many parts from eBay over the years and rather enjoy trying to improve the beast with newer and better parts from other Hondas. I have a cross of XR, XL, CR, and others. When people ask me what year or model it is I ask them "what part are you looking at?"

Latest project is CR125 reworked USD forks with modified upper tree to adapt to stock XL gauges, XR250 front wheel with XR400 bearings, XR650L front caliper and master, custom axle. Think I have it all worked out, hope to get a chance to bolt them on this weekend.

My own wife calls it an abomination, but I don't care.
  13. Reposado1800

Oddometer:
    Many OE parts are getting discontinued from Honda but are available used or aftermarket. The whole enchilada about the XL600R is the power and how it lays it down. It is pretty unique in that it is a big bore and a short stroke with dual carbs. Light weight for its size too. These bikes are sooo worth keeping around. Honda should be kicked in the slats for discontinuing the XR600.
    I am going to upgrade the suspension on this one with emulators and a new shock.
  14. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Reposado1800

Oddometer:
  16. 12120

12120 Unwittingly Domesticated Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am in need of a rear shock. It does not have to be Xl 600 specific. Just has to work on my bike. I have a '83 model. I am hoping to avoid the ebay mess. If someone has one shoot me pm please. I don't know what other Honda shocks will fit. I guess that if the length is right it won't matter to much what Honda it came off of? Someone maybe can shed some light on this more then me.

thanks Chris
  17. lookfar

Oddometer:
  18. shadowtrekkor

shadowtrekkor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    THE BAD NEWS = I lost oil and toasted my cam and heads on my 86 XL 600:cry

THE GOOD NEWS :D= I picked up locally an 83 XL600 motor, paid 160 bucks,
    and the heads and cam are in acceptable condition.

THE CONFUSION :huh= On the 83, the heads decompression valving is a little different from the 86. IS THIS A PROBLEM?

On my 86 the timing chain is in very good shape, I am going ahead and boring the cylinder, replacing the piston and rings, and valve seals.

Am I missing something?:eek1

This bike was going through oil. I don't want to go through that again.:freaky

Andy
  19. Reposado1800

Oddometer:
    Sell the 83 stuff on ebay and buy the correct 86 stuff on ebay. Come out just about even.
    Keep the cam.
  20. davek181

davek181 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 86 stuff will bolt right onto the 83. Decompression scheme was changed but that wont matter. stuff that matters like camchain and headbolts are identical.