Oddometer: 2,324
Te 610/630?
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Budget View Post
So, the Suzuki DR 650 is all around smaller and lighter than a KLR 650 ?

This is sounding like a possibility. 325 dry is not a deal breaker.......I rode alot of street bikes in the 500 pound range, and Im betting some of my older larger enduro's were a solid 300.

Are the DR 650's easy to maintain ? Do they last long with average maintenance? Are there certain years that they have substancial improvments over older editions ?
Yep. Smaller & lighter. DR650's carry their weight fairly low too. They haven't changed much since 1997. Reliability & ease of maintenance is pretty good. The suspension won't be any improvement on your XT though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Te 610/630?
Light yes, short no.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #18
cnj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
You want the bike that everyone wants, a Japanese built 450 with, 6-speed trans, AIR cooled, 4 gal. fuel tank, fuel injection, 320 lbs. total weight, rear rack, and for a list price of $5000.00. I want one too, in red, lime green, blue, or yellow, who can every get one to production 1st is the one I will buy.

John
Agree, but fixed it for ya!
cnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #19
Moore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
The DRZ400 fits your description the best. I used to have one, now I have a DR650. Both are great bikes, I went with the DR because it is better for long distances on the roads. I also got a brand new one for less than people wanted for lightly used DRZs.

The DRZ was fine for power and gearing at 120 (for what it is), every bike I've ever had I tried to shift to the next non-existent gear on the highway...

It is however a little bit lighter, a little bit taller and seems to catch a little bit more wind from the side vs a DR, so I find the DR more stable on the highway, where the DRZ would blow around a bit more.

If you can't decide between these two economical, stone dead reliable bikes, just see which one you can get a better deal on and I'm sure you'd be happy with either.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #20
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I purchased the new Honda CRF250L for just the type of riding that you described you wanted, but let me say here that after 60mph the bike is pretty much out of power but will run 70mph if you want to wait a little wile to get to that speed. The bike on the trails is a blast for this 68 year old guy and I wouldn't have a problem riding it on the TAT or the Continental Divide ride, which I have done on a WR250R. Let me say here that I do own a KLR 650 that I do ride when longer paved road riding is required in the ride, but now days I pick the CRF250L just because of the fun factor. If you watch the BigDogAdventures rides on YouTube you will see why the 250's are becoming so popular. Good Luck on your choice of bike, all the bikes that have been talked about by others are good bikes and very dependable and all have their good and bad points, I've owned most of them over the years, I know.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #21
Ever Onward OP
Time Killer

Oddometer: 614
Thanks for the info. I will research the DR stuff further.

Got the old XT 350 outta a 7 month snowbound hibernation. Couldnt get down the fire roads due to a couple feet deep corn snow in the shady sections, so went out on the lakes and rode 14 inches of spring ice yesterday.

On the road being drafted by a loaded log truck on the way back at 53 MPH, I now fully remember why I want a 60 MPH cruise speed on the next dualsport.

Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #22
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
I don't get why the 350 has trouble maintaining 60. My XT225 can do it, you just have to keep on the throttle.
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #23
Ever Onward OP
Time Killer

Oddometer: 614
Just because it can, dosn't mean you should.

Its plain as day, go down a road at 60 with a headwind on a 350 , then go right after with a 650 on the same stretch, back to back.

The trick is to find a bike with the power of the big bike and the smaller lighter size of the little bike.

Why wring the crap outta a little bike when a bike with more power can loaf along at the same clip and be way less strained ?
Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #24
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Just because it can, dosn't mean you should.
I don't know if I would apply the term should to this discussion. You should wear a helmet. You should let somebody know where you're going. Whether you make use of all the power your engine is capable of producing is more of a question of whether it bugs you or not. In most cases riding wide open into a headwind is harder on the rider's nerves than on the engine.

Quote:
The trick is to find a bike with the power of the big bike and the smaller lighter size of the little bike.
Presumably a KTM. Among the Japanes bikes, the 300 lb Yamaha WR250R and the 325 lb Suzuki DRZ400S are about the sweet spot for power to weight.

Quote:
Why wring the crap outta a little bike when a bike with more power can loaf along at the same clip and be way less strained ?
It's all about priorities, isn't it? You could also ask, why put up with the coarseness and vibration of a big single when you can enjoy the blissfull power, silence and smoothness of v-twin? It all depends on your priorities. To me, the perfectly wonderful DR650 is not smooth enough on the highway to justify its 367 pounds off road. If I have nasty single track on my program, I'd prefer to "wring the crap outta a little bike." It's just personal preference. I don't think the term should applies.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #25
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
KTM 450 xcw/exc

my plated xcw eats up highway at 75mph...and eats up technical single track...and everything in between. it's the mythical bike that actually does it all well.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #26
Yam2Yam2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
For comparison...

I tested my latest power mods on my WR250R. I have a modified FMF Powercore 4, a hacked-open airbox, and an FMF fuel controller. I'm geared up to 14 teeth on the countershaft, from 13t stock. Averaging the three highest dyno charts on the web shows a horsepower peak at 76 mph in my 5th gear, and 86 mph in 6th. I was able to ride directly into a 15 mph wind at 75 mph in 5th, while sitting mostly upright. (I'm too old to crouch!). That's 8400 rpm, BTW. I could not run in 6th at those speeds. The engine is smoother at those speeds than my previous SV650 v-twin.

I mostly run 55 mph in 6th, on two-lane backcountry roads. Mild headwinds are no problem at those speeds (5500 rpm around 1/4 throttle).

I'd have no problem running all day long with this bike, on the highway (and in fact commute an hour to work with it, occasionally).
Yam2Yam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
KLR owner myself

As a dirtier alternative, I am considering a Yammie WR250R someday as a 2nd bike. They have lower links to cover you needs. Also plenty of aftermarkets, seats, bags, it's injected and has six speeds and gets great MPG.

Otherwise, check out the line of Husky's, they got one in every size you could ever need, 250-650 and several tweeners, great value for the money, I uncrate and assemble them at work.
Just did this myself and I like it. That little WR is a fun bike.

I finally rode it some today, and I feel much more confident on it off the pavement vs. the KLR and A LOT better than the GS.

Did some gravel and a stretch of highway where I was doing 70 - 75 indicated. It gets thrown around in the wind blast a bit but it's fine. Don't know that I'd want to do those speeds all day but it would be happy on backroads all day long.

Imma gonna get me SM wheels for it, that should be a blast.

Apologies to the OP for the slight hijack... to the OP, I think you'd be happy with a DR650. I like my KLR, it's comfy, I'll probably upgrade the suspension though, better shock and swap the front end.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #28
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 144
My vote says the WR250R would suit your needs just fine.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #29
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,190
There are motors that like full throttle and higher rpm's, and those that don't.
I expect the xt350 is one that does not.

Suzuki seems to make motors that like abuse, and I would put the wr250 in that group from what I hear.

The motor has to be smooth, it has to run cool, and it has to hold enough oil.
My dr650 did not seem to mind abuse at all, my TU250 seems to love it, and would likely run cross country and back at full throttle and not mind at all.
My old XT250 did not seem to like it, but did it ok, the tw200 did NOT like it and would make noises.
The old XL250 would start rattling its cam in the head, but it never blew up.

We all want a big light bike with plenty of power that will run 3000 miles without needing an oil change or other work, and maybe some day they will make one.

The wr250 seems to be as close as you can get, smooth I hear, likes to rev, makes good power, has a 6 speed, long valve check intervals.
60? pounds lighter then a dr650 and much better suspension.
The DRZ 400 would be good if it had a better transmission.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #30
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,247
I can attest that the WR250R is smooth, it was a pleasant surprise. It seems smoother than my GS.