Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #75931
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
I would change the bushings and the bolts and if you have a castle-nut with a cotter pin I'd order the self torquing one from pro cycle makes chain adjustment a snap....be sure not to over tighten the chain....check it under load, And if you haven't removed the upper chain roller now is a good time to do so just find a bolt that fits back in the hole.
I was referencing the original above comment using the "self torquing" term. Obviously wrong ... I should have noted and corrected it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
You mean self-locking. Self-torquing would be quite a trick.

And I like this better than the self-locking nut, or the cotter pin on a castle nut.

Here it is again ... now corrected for clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I replaced my old castle nut with a self-locking nut and I hated it. The darn thing tried to cut the threads off the end of my axle. I used it twice and went back to the castle nut. I've been using this and it works pretty well (sprung snug, doesn't vibrate). But I like Emmbeedee's idea even better.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #75932
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Question Tickle me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
The BST40 carbs have cold start enrichment circuits instead of chokes. A choke is closed when an engine is cold and opened when it is warm, whereas a fuel enrichment circuit is opened when the engine is cold and closed when it is warm. A choke works by restricting the air flow, whereas an enrichment circuit works by adding extra fuel. A choke requires a fast idle cam or something akin to it (or you have to hold the throttle open manually), whereas an enrichment circuit adds a little extra air simultaneously with the extra fuel, so the fast idle is already built in.

Regards,

Derek
Well put Derek.
A nice simple explanation.
Please forgive us if we continue to use the term "choke" when speaking about our cold engine starting device.
All of us use common terms everyday so that others (less informed) understand what we are talking about.
As when talking with our doctors, we appreciate a doctor using common terms and not the exact medical words that we have to get him to explain.
Yes, a true choke works completely different from a fuel enrichment circuit.
Those who don't know the difference will appreciate learning that.

On the older carbs (Amal, etc.) that had a primer (tickler?) button to "flood" the carb, was that a basic way to use fuel enrichment?
Are the modern fuel enrichment circuits a more precise method?
And the knob or cable for the choke, er... fuel enrichment circuit (FIC? ) allows it to continue adding extra fuel whereas the primer only aided initial starting?
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #75933
Load Clear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Gas tank & Lights

2 questions I can't find clear answers to:

1) I Just put an Acerbis tank on. Do I need to treat/clean the OEM tank (How & with what) if I am going to sit it on a shelf or sell it?

2) If I install some aux lights, can they be flipped on and off often - as if I am using them as high beams on the road?

Thanks
Load Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #75934
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Does anybody know where I can find a used kickstand on the cheap? I don't really need it, but it would be nice to have if I can get one super cheap before I hack into mine (in case I mess it up). I'm going to attempt to cut a couple inches out of my kickstand, tap the inside, and use a piece of 3/4" threaded rod to make it into an adjustable kickstand for when I switch between dirt mode for me and supermoto/lowered mode for the girlfriend.
frecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #75935
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,164
Emmbeedee, do you happen to have an exact size for that cotter-pin / pin you're using (if it fits in without makign the castle nut slots larger)?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #75936
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagLite View Post
On the older carbs (Amal, etc.) that had a primer (tickler?) button to "flood" the carb, was that a basic way to use fuel enrichment?
Yes.
Quote:
Are the modern fuel enrichment circuits a more precise method?
Yes. One of the problems with a tickler, besides being less precise, is that the enrichment is temporary and cannot be left "on". This means that engines with tickler-equipped carburetors typically run very poorly until warmed up unless the pilot circuit is richer than would be optimal when fully warm.
Quote:
And the knob or cable for the choke, er... fuel enrichment circuit (FIC? )
I hadn't thought about using acronyms. I suppose the cold start enrichment circuit would be "CSEC". I suppose "FIC" could be for "fast idle cam".
Quote:
allows it to continue adding extra fuel whereas the primer only aided initial starting?
Yes, plus a cold start enrichment provides fast idle, which, with a tickler, must be handled manually, that is via the rider either holding the throttle open, screwing the idle speed screw(s) in temporarily, or blipping the throttle until the engine is warmed up.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #75937
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Load Clear View Post

1) I Just put an Acerbis tank on. Do I need to treat/clean the OEM tank (How & with what) if I am going to sit it on a shelf or sell it?

Thanks
I just sprayed some WD-40 in mine before I stored it. Figure that should keep it from rusting.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #75938
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Load Clear

2) If I install some aux lights, can they be flipped on and off often - as if I am using them as high beams on the road?

Thanks
1 - I have two tanks stored in my basement. I did nothing special to them other than letting them "air out" in which any remaining fuel was allowed to evaporate. Granted, my basement is new construction (~13 years old) and not damp at all. YMMV. If you're really concerned, put an once of straight weight motor oil in the tank. Let the tank sit in various orientations (on its sides, 'nose' & 'tail') to allow the oil to coat the inside. Thicker oils have a tendency to 'creep' over time which should cover the inside of the tank. If you cover all openings, the oil will wash out with gas or denatured alcohol if/when it's time to put it back in service. You could also try a bag of desiccant (those little bags of crystals that have "Do Not Eat" printed on them - they typically are included with electronics) inside the tank with the gas cap on the tank. In high humidity environments, the desiccant may have to be replaced on a (semi) regular basis.

2 - Sure, I guess. Check the Vendors thread to see what's available from the folks that sell LED kits.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #75939
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,812
I sold my stock gas tank and the purchaser is saying his gas cap will not fit. My understanding was from 96-current the tanks are the same. Do some gas caps fit certain years.

Also I kept my gas cap since it is keyed to my ignition. Is there a way to override the key lock if I send the purchaser my old cap?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #75940
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Emmbeedee, do you happen to have an exact size for that cotter-pin / pin you're using (if it fits in without makign the castle nut slots larger)?
I don't know the size of it, but I do remember it was a tight fit between the slots on the castle nut. I took a drill and opened the slots up a little but I could just as easily have ground the clevis pin down a touch.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #75941
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecks View Post
Does anybody know where I can find a used kickstand on the cheap? I switch between dirt mode for me and supermoto/lowered mode for the girlfriend.
I just reset my son's DR to stock height so I have a short kickstand for sale. They're so quick to change, it might be faster and less hassle than what you have planned.

PM me if interested.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #75942
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
I sold my stock gas tank and the purchaser is saying his gas cap will not fit. My understanding was from 96-current the tanks are the same. Do some gas caps fit certain years.

Also I kept my gas cap since it is keyed to my ignition. Is there a way to override the key lock if I send the purchaser my old cap?

Thanks,

Greg

California model gas tanks have different caps.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #75943
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post

Thanks,

Greg
You can get a key (ilco,says suz12 on it)made. That blank is to short to work the ign,but it will work the cap and helmet lock
Old 04-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #75944
richeyroo
34L King of bikes !

Oddometer: 112
Haha got one and joined the gang

Hey gang, Can I join the gang as I have just picked up a 2012 DR650 with 1k km on the clock ?

I'm a Brit expat in the Sultanate of Oman, in the Middle East, perfect DR territory as the photo above hopefully shows

Not sure how much I'm going to farkle it, probably a loud FMF exhaust because Omanis don't really see or hear bikes much and life is fairly hairy on the roads here. I've already tidied up the rear and put on a bashplate - it needs better tyres for the sand, definitely some bar risers, bars and guards and a 20 litre tank but for a while I'll keep the engine stock. Maybe hit the suspension next year when the tax free dollars start rolling in a bit more

The thing that amazes me is the fuel consumption - I'm worried that the bike must be running really lean. I'm hitting 220km before reserve, and yesterday did 35km on reserve before I found a gas station

That can't be right - 21 km per litre/ 70 to 80 mpg ? Anyway what the hell it goes alright

More to follow I hope. Oman is a top country, this place is right on the coast and the height is around 4000ft before the plain - it's one hell of a descent (or climb )

Top bike, top country

richeyroo screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 09:20 PM
richeyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #75945
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Hi Rich
Another expat here but in France!!! Bike looks great and yep a bit of dirt envy going on here
My old girls a 96 and still giving 20 km / ltr
Phil