Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #7576
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by squizzy View Post
Decided to put bar risers and heated grips on the xcountry on the weekend. To fit the bar risers(15mm), I had to relocate the throttle cable to give a bit of freeplay. I had a bit of an issue undoing the bolts to on the clamps and had to remove the top of the airbox. Fitting the heated grips worked out ok, ran a switching wire for the relay off the parking light in the headlight, put everything back together, ran the bike, everything worked, grips heated up, all good.
Started bike tonight and it ran like a pig. Will only idle for a few seconds, if I blip the throttle, it will backfire, keep running then stop. It will start again straight away, just same result. Disconnected all my electrical work, same result.
Battery is on a trickle charger, so should be ok. Reading some posts, batteries can be a problem. I have had the bike for just a few months and have no idea how old the battery is. Are the symptoms a battery problem? I had to disconnect the battery during the electrical work, but I have done this before with no problems. Any ideas?
Check to make sure nothing pulled loose (hoses clamps etc) when the top of the airbox was removed.you can also try a thfottle reset mabey.
satur9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #7577
Rosa-Brazil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flachlandtiroler View Post
The 09 seat is not only lower than the 07, especially towards the faux tank.
It's a lot narrower too, about 4 cm, so it's much easier to flatfoot the bike.
I see the difference, and I prefer narrower! So it looks like the 09 seat is the one listed in the BMW microfiche as "narrow bench seat", part number 52537716855 - if you can confirm...

I also saw in the Wilbers catalogue that I can lower an 07 either 50mm or 75mm, whereas the 09 can only be lowered 40mm (but the 07 factory fork is shorter than the 09).

I will do another test ride on the 07 to find out how much lowering Id need and decide whether I should wait for an 09 to come up for sale (God knows when!) or grab my friends 07! Will keep you posted...
Rosa-Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #7578
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by squizzy View Post
Decided to put bar risers and heated grips on the xcountry on the weekend. To fit the bar risers(15mm), I had to relocate the throttle cable to give a bit of freeplay. I had a bit of an issue undoing the bolts to on the clamps and had to remove the top of the airbox. Fitting the heated grips worked out ok, ran a switching wire for the relay off the parking light in the headlight, put everything back together, ran the bike, everything worked, grips heated up, all good.
Started bike tonight and it ran like a pig. Will only idle for a few seconds, if I blip the throttle, it will backfire, keep running then stop. It will start again straight away, just same result. Disconnected all my electrical work, same result.
Battery is on a trickle charger, so should be ok. Reading some posts, batteries can be a problem. I have had the bike for just a few months and have no idea how old the battery is. Are the symptoms a battery problem? I had to disconnect the battery during the electrical work, but I have done this before with no problems. Any ideas?
Check your battery voltage first to see if the battery is OK.

Sounds like you may have an intermittent battery connection. Check the battery cable connections and look at the cable lugs. When BMW mashed the battery in there, the lugs get bent at odd angles and may fail after time.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #7579
squizzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Thanks for the ideas.Throttle reset is open and close throttle with ignition on after battery has been disconnected and reconnected, then switch off? Have done that if that is the correct sequence.I have not checked the earth connection on the battery, will check that tonight. Starter turns over ok, will check voltage during cranking tonight. What should it stay at? Was going for a ride on Saturday, maybe now on the 800. Still fun, but not as much!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #7580
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
The stock seat is terrible. I would not keep the X bike if I had to keep the stock seat. I went with a Corbin that I ordered with extra dishing and a little more scooted back.

Mine is an '09 and Im 6'2" tall. The stock shock with a stronger spring works fine for me and with preload tightened up I have to stretch to flatfoot it.

I dont jump clay pits or ride it like a 250. I do a lot of off-road running but it's not the dry, hard rocky type desert terrain. My set-up works great for me.

I use the bike more as a - Dual Sport. For me that means all conditions - high-speed highways, sporty curvy roads, in-town errands, dirt trails and dirt roads. The little bike does great.

I often do some long-distance running, interstate etc, to get to the off-road stuff and the bigger front sprocket is terrific.

The Corbin seat (after rare washing) -

Long-distance dual-sport ride (tent, sleeping bag/mattress and week's cothing) -

Rocky climbing trails-

Fun on the curves-

leafman60 screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 04:19 AM
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #7581
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Not trying to overdo the pics, guys. Just trying to keep the thread going here !

X - C - O ........ X - C - O

All together now-

XCO XCO
Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #7582
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa-Brazil View Post
... (but the 07 factory fork is shorter than the 09)....
You have that backwards, (the 09 actually is shorter than the 07).
Good luck with your choice, most people say the 09 (thin) seat is VERY uncomfortable but perhaps for a smaller person it is ok? dunno. (Hey FlatlandCloggyMan !! What does your wife say?)

I have not had good luck with my Wilbers shock but I think there is something wrong with it, maybe some dirt in the internal valving or who knows but they should be a good brand. But for your use (If under say 170 lbs weight and not extreme off road....), if you want to stay cheap try to buy someone's 09 stock shock cheap, I bet there are guys with working used ones just sitting on a shelf in their garage. This thread is the place to ask.

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!

snooker screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 11:49 PM
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:51 AM   #7583
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Those pictures from Spain are spectacular !
Ditto that.

Whew....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #7584
Rosa-Brazil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Whos got an 09 seat to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
You have that backwards, (the 09 actually is shorter than the 07).
Good luck with your choice, most people say the 09 (thin) seat is VERY uncomfortable but perhaps for a smaller person it is ok? dunno. (Hey FlatlandCloggyMan !! What does your wife say?).
I am lightweight, and being vertically challenged I got used to thin and uncomfortable seats, since I always end up with the "low" models or shaving top and sides. But I think for off road riding, thinner is best.

So if anyone has an 09 seat gathering dust, let me know!
Rosa-Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #7585
Flachlandtiroler
sincere amateur

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
(Hey FlatlandCloggyMan !! What does your wife say?)

Well, I just asked my swmbo. She has owned an old R50,a Funduro,Honda Hawk, a Transalp and a Suzuki DR650. She says the XCo-seat is the most comfortable of the bunch, even better than the Transalp, which I found very comfy, too On the other hand, she has ridden the DR from Cloggyland to Spain, through the Pyrenees and back, about 4000 kilometers, and didnt complain, although to me it feels like sitting on a 3x4 cedar log after 100 km. on it. Maybe its a matter of weight, her 130 lbs against my 176
Flachlandtiroler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #7586
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Old 04-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #7587
Shining
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Tuscany country with my new continental tck 80 (very good tyres)

Shining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #7588
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Id sure like to see more of those pictures from Tuscany....
Old 04-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #7589
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Anybody here ever run 110mm front tires and 140mm rear on an XCo?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #7590
Shining
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
Id sure like to see more of those pictures from Tuscany....

Shining is offline   Reply With Quote