Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #31
back2thefuture
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
i've riden some of SW and SE , Oklahoma.

Here's a couple of images of SW Oklahoma.

Three more pictures of Mount Scott. Worth the drive up, if the weather is nice.

You can see for miles.

back2thefuture screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 08:07 PM
back2thefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #32
kiltedcrawford OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Sweet pics!
Good representative shots of the OAT through SW OK. I really like the scene of the old/new windmills.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #33
back2thefuture
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
in SE Oklahoma, you mentioned bypassing Rhune Mtn. It's not much more than a photo op, in my opinon. Was a nice day.

ANd just north of the Talimena drive is a nice camping spot. Cedar Lake. We also did some roads around there and Winding Stair. Not sure which ones are the same.

back2thefuture screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 07:41 PM
back2thefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #34
kiltedcrawford OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The top of Mt. Scott is ALWAYS windy, but the views make it worth it.

How much of the OAT did you do?
Old 03-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #35
airdale7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Thanks for the pics of Mt Scott. Something I need to get out west and see.

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #36
airdale7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Subscribing

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #37
bsheet2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Nice!

Thanks for the trip report. Looks like a real nice ride. I grew up in Okla and still have family there. A great excuse to go visit and ride this route!
bsheet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #38
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,934
I'd like to do this route soon...
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #39
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 780
I read back through your ride report, and after looking at that sandy crossing i don't think i would have done it either. maybe with a friend or three. or on a little bike.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #40
kiltedcrawford OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Western OAT ride

Cropear and I originally did an early version of the OAT back in December. Since then, we'd noticed that most of the western portion was different from what we had done. We were both in need of a good ride, so we thought we'd check it out.

I wasn't able to meet up with Cropear until mid-afternoon Saturday, May 25, so we finally hooked up with the OAT north of Garber at about 4:45 PM. A few minutes later, after struggling through some dry but heavily rutted roads, we came upon our first obstacle: a closed bridge. Having just gotten on the OAT after lots of highway miles in the wind, we weren't anxious to reroute so soon, so we checked it out. The bridge itself was easily crossable, with only one big gap from a missing plank, but the logs and dirt piles blocking the bridge provided a little adventure. We were on 650s and don't have tons of experience offroad, so take that for what it's worth. Cropear thought he probably could have done it on his 1200GS, too.

A few miles northwest we hit the second closed road southeast of Jefferson. It was heavily grown up and had an electric fence across the trail. There was obviously a creek ahead, but I couldn't tell if there was a bridge or not. It did not look doable, and since it was well after 5:00 we didn't want to take the time to scout it out. Looking at it today on Google Earth I think we made the right call.

We rerouted and rejoined the trail a few miles west. During the reroute we found a few more rutted roads and this bridge.
I like that the Bridge Out sign is being used as part of the bridge. We did not enjoy this section.

It was getting late so we got off the route a couple miles east of Salt Plains SP and headed to Jet in search of lodging, since we neglected to bring sleeping bags or any camping gear. Motel rooms on Memorial Day weekend in the middle of oil & gas country are hard to find. After lots of phone calls and battling the wind we arrived in Enid and overnighted at America's Best Value Inn, which is conveniently located next to a Gentlemen's Club that we did NOT check out, but I'm throwing out there for anyone who's interested.

The next morning, we headed out and caught the OAT where it crosses Hwy 412 west of Enid. After some highway miles the trail heads south on dirt, just west of the Glass/Gloss Mountains. This part of the trail is almost all dirt, passes through Seiling and Camargo and ends up in the Black Kettle Nat'l Grassland on Hwy 47. It was probably my favorite stretch of our route. We did a terrible job taking pictures, but here's one from that leg, northwest of Leedey.

We continued on through the Grassland (even though we didn't know that at the time) and crossed the Washita (via bridge) at Herring. They'd recently laid down some heavy gravel on this road and the next few miles were rough.
Finally, the trail got off the damned gravel and headed onto a nice, narrow, twisty ranch road with light gravel.

After a couple of cattle guards we ended up at a cattle pen with two men sorting cattle and a closed gate in front of us. I double-checked my GPS to make sure we were on the right track, then waited for the men to finish their sort before walking over and talking to the boss, who turned out to own the ranch. We then spent a few minutes talking to them, with the main points being:
-This was a public road, but the land on either side was his ranch.
-The gates were closed since they'd been moving cattle and if we behaved, we could open the gates and ride on through.
-He's had a little trouble with people getting off the main road and driving/riding around the ranch, which is trespassing.
-He's not thrilled with the idea of lots of people riding through there.

Don't get me wrong; he was very nice and offered us water and directions, but the idea of being part of the OAT didn't do much for him.

So we peacefully rode on through his ranch, then south over a couple of dams which at the moment weren't damming up anything. Drought is very evident here. So, a little ways further down the trail, it was with some surprise that I took a right hand curve at moderate speed and came upon a muddy spot. I made it through all right, slowed down and waited for Cropear, curious as to what would happen He made it through fine, but as he was coming out decided to throw up a good rooster tail so he throttled it.
You can see where his bike went:

Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic of where his bike ended up: the fence you can see on the left.

So, a break was called in order to extricate the bike from the fence. He was caught up in it pretty good, but didn't damage the fence, thankfully. We had to remove his windshield, but finally got the bike back on the road with no major visible harm, but lots of scratches. The main problem was that his front brake was acting up by diving at the slightest touch of the lever. Not good. He also mentioned that a little earlier he'd hit a pretty big, sharp rock and, upon inspection his front tire had a pretty good gash in the sidewall, with a couple of cracks running out of it. Unfortunately we did not have a spare tire with us and it was Sunday on Memorial Day weekend.

With these new developments we decided to head to my house at an easy pace. The OAT from I-40 south is mostly blacktop, so we followed it to the North Fork crossing turnoff on Hwy 6 north of Granite. I had cowardly skipped the crossing back in December when it was dry, and we could see that the North Fork had water in it now. That, plus the known and possibly unknown damage to his bike made us decide to skip it and get on down to my house.

We made it home early Sunday evening and, while enjoying a few needed beers, swapped out his tire for one of my used but good ones, sorted out his brake issue and generally got the bikes and ourselves in order.
Good trip complete.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #41
cropear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Camera

It was a shame I could not find that camera when that bike was jawed up in the fence. That always seems to happen to me
cropear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #42
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great country....

It looks like you're in some great country around there and you have some nice photos to show for it. Thanks for taking the time to do this for the rest of us, especially those of us who're sticking pretty close to the ole recliner! :-(

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #43
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post
The OAT from I-40 south is mostly blacktop,Good trip complete.

Well we are just going to have to change that.

Also i liked that bridge with the road closed sign on it. we will need to include it.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #44
kiltedcrawford OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
Well we are just going to have to change that.

Also i liked that bridge with the road closed sign on it. we will need to include it.

With the exception of the blacktop south of I-40 I think you've got a damn nice mostly dirt track from Perry to Mt Scott/Lawton.

I'll see if I can find some time to figure out a new route from the North Fork crossing (which should stay in, since it's easily re-routed) to I-40. It's not too far away and will give me a reason to ride.

As for the bridge, Google shows me it's at N 36.738 W 97.902. It's in Grant County north of Jefferson, just east of the intersection of CRs N2920 & E0190.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #45
cropear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Thanks to People like SandRidge Energy

Looking back at these photos. You really want to thank SandRidge Energy for what they have done for the ADV rider community. Before all these roads were just mundane dirt straightway. Now each mile is equivalent to a round of EnduroCross.
cropear is offline   Reply With Quote