Out of my price and a fortune to ship to Chicago. Otherwise
birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #287
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by birch View Post
Along the same lines, worth spending a couple grand more on an R1200ST? Ergo look similar, bags look similar.
The ST is a little more relaxed. Functionally, it is a great bike, but wow, you're comparing one of the nicest-looking BMW's of all time to perhaps the most hideous-looking. It wouldn't even be on the radar scope for me.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #288
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,694
bump!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #289
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,581
What a great thread. I've got an R1150R as a do it all bike, it's great. I have always wanted a an S but doesn't seem great for two up. Still love the bikes.
Can not understand why they didn't sell like hot cakes.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #290
Flounder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I'm only about 7 months into my '04 R1100s and I'm completely enamored with this thing. I've owned lots of fun bikes, but this one is quickly becoming a favorite.

It's a solid, stable, fun and comfortable bike to ride for hours on end. I live in Prescott, AZ with hundreds of curves north and south of me. While it doesn't have gobs of power, it's very poised.

I just ordered system cases for it. I'm heading up to Colorado for a 2000 mile trip. I have every confidence I'll be comfy and enjoy the ride. I also think these bikes are incredible values. I bought mine with 12,000 miles from a dude with seven BMWs, each lovingly cared for. I couldn't find a spec of dust on the bike when I bought it for $5500.

Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #291
tanneman
I'm no Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
One of the best bikes I have owned and does everything. Still puts a smile on my face and can show some faster bikes a clean pair of heels. One of the best pictures of us.
[IMG][/IMG]

Stock R1100S of 2005 vintage with the sports pack. Swapped the normal mirrors for the BCR mirrors (to make it easier to remove for track days) and fitted the expensive carbon plugs as per BCR.
tanneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #292
Loaded
World Tourer

Oddometer: 1

Bought mine new in 2000 and sold it 9 years later. Owned the R1100S in both Utah and Colorado. Never had an issue with it. Handled beautifully fully loaded. I'm looking now for a used bike to follow this one, and to ride up to Prudhoe Bay. My S could have done it. Ahh well.
Loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #293
metropolis2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
I'm new to the club. I've had an 1150GS for a few years and had a hankering for an S so after being patient I bagged myself a bit of an eBay bargain last week and collected it on Saturday.

Did 300 or so miles on it at the weekend and it's just fantastic. The bike looks great and rides great. I've got a few jobs I want to do it on over time but I couldn't be happier right now

It's a non-ABS 2003 with heated grips, y-piece, laser, chip and 41k miles on the clocks.

metropolis2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #294
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129
...just for you R11S owners, it turns out there is going to be another run of barbacks if you want a set. After that they'll prolly become unobtanium...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #295
Hoots Magoon
Hey ya'll, Watch this!

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...just for you R11S owners, it turns out there is going to be another run of barbacks if you want a set. After that they'll prolly become unobtanium...
Bump for RD Barbacks. I'm on the list. I've been wanting a pair for a long time, so it is now or never. If you are wondering about the quality, people on the Pelican swear by them.

Hoots Magoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #296
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129
...why yws you are...we're looking at 3 weeks wait time FYI.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #297
NorthernBoxer
Fükengrüven

Oddometer: 548
Wicked Cross bar for GPS mount

I made a crossbar today to use for attaching a Touratech GPS mount to my '99 'S...

I have my clip-ons in the high position like this:

...so I had the idea to attach a bar to the available holes on the clip-ons that were used in the low position to attach to the upper fork cross brace.

I started with a piece of 1/2 inch aluminum tube I got at Lowes:

I used a hack saw to cut it down to length:

Then I used a vice to flatten the ends:

Then I measured where the holes should be drilled:

...and drilled and used a veriety of files and sand paper to smooth out the ends:

Then I used some stainless steel screws with cap-head nuts to attach my new bar to the clip-ons:

I'm ordering the Touratech mount for the Garmin Montana to attach to this bar. Total cost of materials to make this bar was less than $15 (less than $10 if you already have the screws and nuts rattling arround your garage)

NorthernBoxer screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 04:43 PM
NorthernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #298
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
On the road; need some tech advice '94 R1100RS

My buddy and I were headed to New Mexico but have been stranded in Hawthorne, Nevada :-( It looks like the fuel pump gave up on his R1100RS. I don't know Sh*t about Oilheads. He's pretty much in the same boat. I hope to find a aftermarket pump to install at the NAPA store down the street.
Ideas, recommendations and words of caution are VERY much needed at this point.
I've never turned a wrench on an Oilhead. However, I do understand that the fuel pump is in the fuel tank like on my K-bike. However, it is not replaced via the fuel filler hole in the top of the tank? Is there a panel on the underside of the fuel tank for this job?
TIA
Old 06-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #299
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
I've never turned a wrench on an Oilhead. However, I do understand that the fuel pump is in the fuel tank like on my K-bike. However, it is not replaced via the fuel filler hole in the top of the tank? Is there a panel on the underside of the fuel tank for this job?
On the S, you pull the tank and the fuel pump bolts into the side. I suspect the RS is similar. It's pretty tricky getting it in/out of the tank and if your setup is OEM, you'll run into some odd hose clamps called Oetiker clamps.

I doubt you can substitute a car fuel pump directly, at least not without huge modifications. On a FI'ed bike, these fuel pumps are high-pressure pumps designed more/less as an integral part of the FI system - not like a carb fuel pump where all the pump does is keep low pressure fuel to keep a float bowl full. Adding an external fuel filter is a common mod, but not an external fuel pump.

I've heard this is the lowest-priced option:

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/16141341231n.html

I'd swing on over to the Pelican board and see if you an get some advice.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r...0s-tech-forum/

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #300
rgb2cmyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernBoxer View Post
I made a crossbar today to use for attaching a Touratech GPS mount to my '99 'S...

I'm ordering the Touratech mount for the Garmin Montana to attach to this bar. Total cost of materials to make this bar was less than $15 (less than $10 if you already have the screws and nuts rattling arround your garage)

Very nice job. I use the back of an old street sign. But it's the perfect place for the Montana.

09 R1200 GSA (Totaled by SS Sandy)
06 Husky TE450, 04 R1100s BCR, 03 F650CS
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote