Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #61
SeaBass
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Only once when I was 15. I was on a Honda MB5 (5 speed 49cc 2 stroke) racing down a suburban street to see how fast I could go. While staring at the speedometer as it edged towards 48 or so, I failed to notice the approaching hairpin turn. In a panic I slammed on the rear brake, immediately went down and tumbled down the road. The bike wound up sliding on its side up someones driveway. I still have the scar on my knee to this day, 33 years later. Learned how to use the front brake after that!
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #62
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Interesting. Far more folk have deliberately "laid er down" than I would have suspected. With quite a number of good reasons and explanations.
I don't buy it, while many may be convinced in their own mind that they did a on purpose lay down, my oninion still is that they crashed and are in denial

the only people that I can think of that would deliberately lay a bike down are stunters for show

for anyone else, its a crash, maybe there was no other way out, it was still a CRASH
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #63
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
What about when you are going to fast into a turn on divided interstate? Would you shed speed, until the point you are thrown over the concrete divider in to oncoming commuter traffic, or would you lay it down?

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #64
bv11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
What about when you are going to fast into a turn on divided interstate? Would you shed speed, until the point you are thrown over the concrete divider in to oncoming commuter traffic, or would you lay it down?
Can't make a curve on an interstate? Must be another harley thing.
bv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #65
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
This is it...

This is the duh factor...

This explains it...

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports makes you think that 'laying her down' is a better option than scrubbing off speed (using the tires traction) ?

Do you think that 'laying her down', and thus continuing on at about the same speed u were at a second ago (because there's nothing slowing you now, yer on the fucking ground and sliding, metal on asphalt...) is NOT going to result in you slamming into the barrier and flying up into the air and over it?

The lesser the speed the better. Laying it down is the act of someone scared shitless.

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #66
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
sort of....
years ago on a x country ride on my laverda jota i was passing through little rock AK...on my way back to my campground.

it began a light rain...as i came around a downtown curve up to a stoplight i down shifted to come to a stop..just after a totally normal downshift and riding a while in that gear the road surface changed from blacktop to concrete . as soon as the back wheel hit that concrete it just stopped turning...the water and oil on that smooth concrete was like lard on steel..so there i was...still upright back tire stopped from compression..and almost sideways in my lane...there was so little traction the bike was still almost fully upright in a slide. so i sat there and thought...htf am i getting out of this?

it was along time ago and my memory is foggy but i seem to remember that i tried to spin the back wheel up thinking i could power it back straight..it did spin but nothing else really happened..i just cant convey how total the lack of traction was.

well since nothing had changed by the time i started to cross the limit line into traffic i just decided to "lay er down" rather than just slide to my death in among the crossing cars. i simply had no tools in the tolbox to deal with this.

and so i did. i just pushed her over on her side and jumped off and walked alongside...then found out just how slippery it really was as i proceeded to fall on my ass...twice. picking up the bike was like a fucking clown show.

but in my dreams i can lay er down on the trails and slide under the closed trail gates like the guy slides under the semi trailers in the movies...and i even stand her back up just like he does.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "

astrolump screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 07:22 PM
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #67
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

sort of...

about the only time I can think that 'laying her down' is a good idea is if yer approaching a tractor trailer at 90 degrees. lay it down and slide under it...

or maybe yer convulsed bizarre description of rain, sliding, standing up, revving the rear wheel... wtf are we talking about here? really?

plueeeeezzzzzz, blunt force trauma is blunt force trauma! the less of it the better!

sliding in at a high rate of speed is worse than slowing in at a lower rate of speed.

Get yer heads out of yer wazoos!

Cheers
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #68
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
sort of...

about the only time I can think that 'laying her down' is a good idea is if yer approaching a tractor trailer at 90 degrees. lay it down and slide under it...

or maybe yer convulsed bizarre description of rain, sliding, standing up, revving the rear wheel... wtf are we talking about here? really?

plueeeeezzzzzz, blunt force trauma is blunt force trauma! the less of it the better!

sliding in at a high rate of speed is worse than slowing in at a lower rate of speed.

Get yer heads out of yer wazoos!

Cheers
yeah...not a very good description on my part....it was one of those things...seemed to last forever..probably lasted about a second.

but in that one rare case i think that just intentionally falling over and coming to a stop was a better choice than staying on and sliding out of control into traffic crossing at 90 degrees...all it cost me was a passenger footpeg mount.
and some pride.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #69
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
sort of...

about the only time I can think that 'laying her down' is a good idea is if yer approaching a tractor trailer at 90 degrees. lay it down and slide under it....
I laid my bike down in a hairpin when a motorhome came around the corner straight at me in my lane. I think that was my only option. Not much else to do since the engine cases were already on the ground and I wasn't turning any sharper. I actually jumped off the bike to the inside. The bike pivoted on the engine cases (82 Suzuki Katana) and hit the motorhome right in the teeth. The bike bent his bumper real good. Taught him a lesson for driving in my lane and I got up pretty much unscathed.

I even got a new bike and leathers out of the deal since he backed up off my bike and drove off. Nothing like hit and run to make collecting from his insurance so much easier.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #70
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I laid my bike down in a hairpin when a motorhome came around the corner straight at me in my lane. I think that was my only option. Not much else to do since the engine cases were already on the ground and I wasn't turning any sharper. I actually jumped off the bike to the inside. The bike pivoted on the engine cases (82 Suzuki Katana) and hit the motorhome right in the teeth. The bike bent his bumper real good. Taught him a lesson for driving in my lane and I got up pretty much unscathed.

I even got a new bike and leathers out of the deal since he backed up off my bike and drove off. Nothing like hit and run to make collecting from his insurance so much easier.
Doesn't sound to me like you "laid it down"... think that's a low side ;)

Good you survived it.

Cheers
Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 AM   #71
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,728
In dirt I've "had to lay'er down" a number of times, usually because of cliffs or trees and a little ...extra speed.

On the road never, I've been pushed over a curb at about 50mph, and I've had issues with gravel at 3 mph and an unfortunate incident with a transmission fluid puddle.

Never intentionally binned it though, ever, since I was 14 and go my first license.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 AM   #72
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by bv11 View Post

.....Its not unheard of from the stretched sportbike crowd either. Ever watch a 9 foot long Busa try to make a corner
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #73
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 670
On dirt sure - think steep hillclimbs where you stall or go off line. Dump it down so it doesn't head downhill and get destroyed.

Never on the road though one time I was just about to be T-boned (lady pulled out blind, no lights at night) and had braked to the maximum, but a collision was a split second away, I lifted myself out of the seat and managed an ungraceful vault over her car at the moment of impact. Better than going through my handlebars and into the side of her MPV. But not a "lay er down".
Old 04-22-2013, 04:39 AM   #74
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,636
Back In WWII I Had To Lay Er Down

2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:04 AM   #75
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bv11 View Post
Had one of those signs with the tipped over semi. Was pretty sharp actually. Was on my Magna.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote