Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #46
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by strommer View Post

If you can get a higher resolution version of this photo, it is front page material...

ask HighRiver - he might have something in his records
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #47
strommer
Ride for balance

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post

ask HighRiver - he might have something in his records
Looked into his threads. That is a one hardcore Speed Triple rider.
strommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #48
strommer
Ride for balance

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down View Post
Without bags:

With bags:

Great looking bike. I have the exact one. Same color 09.

I really like the knee pads that you got on the sides of the tank. They look great and I bet they work well for additional comfort.
I think I'm going to get some too.

The Arrows are cool but I'm not going to spend the money because I'm saving up to get an old bike and turn it into a cafe racer project bike (likely to sit in the garage for at least a year and to get worked on sporadicaly).

I've seen Speeds with hanguards attached. Might look into that since I hate getting numb hands when riding in cooler weather.

Does that bag at the back of your Speed impact handling in any way?
strommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #49
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by strommer View Post
Does that bag at the back of your Speed impact handling in any way?

No issues with the bag affecting handling... it's a nice piece of kit.
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #50
optimum_malarky
Premium nonsense

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down View Post
Without bags:

With bags:

I love that color and like the touring mods you have made. What kind of seat do you have on that bike?

Past:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 N,
2003 R1150 GS,2004 Triumph Speed Triple (wrecked), 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2003 Suzuki SV650, 1984 R80 ST , 1973 CB750
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #51
optimum_malarky
Premium nonsense

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
To be honest the Street R is actually a better bike, what if give up in power it makes up for in being nearly 100 pounds lighter. Compared to my Speed Triple with a T595 Daytona motor, mild port job custom cam timing, exhaust and tune (118hp at the wheel) I have no doubt my 675 Daytona will smoke it straight line, and god help there is a turn in the way, everything on the smaller bike happens faster.

I'm not a big fan of the 1050, I like the 955i Daytona motor better, and the 675 chassis makes the pre-2012 Triples feel like old 60s bikes in comparison.

The Speed does win for being a big brutish comfortable machine with an extra something that makes me grin though.

How does the Street R compare with the new Speed Triple R? I always come back to the Triumphs, but I wonder which is the way to go. For me, the S3R is the looker, but I keep hearing that the Street is a barrel of fun too. Anyone have experience with both?

Obviously, the cost difference ($10k for the Street R vs. $16k for the S3R) is a factor, but to what extent?

Past:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 N,
2003 R1150 GS,2004 Triumph Speed Triple (wrecked), 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2003 Suzuki SV650, 1984 R80 ST , 1973 CB750
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #52
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimum_malarky View Post
How does the Street R compare with the new Speed Triple R? I always come back to the Triumphs, but I wonder which is the way to go. For me, the S3R is the looker, but I keep hearing that the Street is a barrel of fun too. Anyone have experience with both?

Obviously, the cost difference ($10k for the Street R vs. $16k for the S3R) is a factor, but to what extent?

To be honest I can't tell you, the newer chassis is an improvement over the 1997(!) to 2011 unit, but I haven't got a hold of a Speed R certainly not in a situation where I could actually use that Ohlins suspension.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #53
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 View Post
She's an older one but still providing smiles & miles

I had one just like that, with a corbin seat too. One of the most memorable bikes i have had. I put 75k miles on it, then sold it, never heard from her again. But ive always wanted another one, its such a beautiful bike.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #54
jayR
ride > all

Oddometer: 16
Here is on my way to the Deals Gap-Tail of the Dragon.. 7 day trip and my two tank bags was more than enough.. I got one on the tank and other on the seat!!

Okay.. how the hell do I post a picture here?????

[/IMG]

jayR screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 01:46 PM
jayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #55
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Hey guys, I've got an 04 Speedy and I'm looking at purchasing some frame sliders. From what I've read online, the frames are pretty much identical from 97 til '10, however some frame sliders are generational between those years.

Example: http://www.oesaccessories.com/TriumphSpeedTriple.html

Those are supposed to be the best bang-fer-buck units but are labeled for 05-10 only. Whats different about the 97-04 frame?? Or are they just trying to appeal to the 1050 crowd

99 VFR - The right tool for the job (RIP)
jcmcc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #56
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcc View Post

Those are supposed to be the best bang-fer-buck units but are labeled for 05-10 only. Whats different about the 97-04 frame?? Or are they just trying to appeal to the 1050 crowd
Believe it or not the tank mounts are close to the only thing different from 1997-2010, other than that dogbone geometry is about the only change to the chassis over that period.

Just to be one the safe side check the mount bolt sizes on bike bandit if they are the usual sliders that replace the upper and rear engine mount bolts you should be able to tell.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #57
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,522
I'm looking for my next commuter, my DR650 works great for my six mile city commute but I'm going to end up with a 30 mile I-5 slugfest in a few months.

My question: Over time are the plastic fuel tanks prone to ethanol damage? Anybody had an issue?

Edit: I'll be looking for a '00ish S3, the main competition is a 1250 Bandit/GSX1250FA but they're portly.

Love the DR, it sits in the rain all winter and never wimpers, I can explore stupid lean angles and still get up to 50MPG in warm weather (~45 in the winter). It's not a freeway commuter, some would disagree...

Had a '00 Sprint RS and miss the burble, don't miss the ergos.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #58
bootzilla
Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman View Post
My question: Over time are the plastic fuel tanks prone to ethanol damage? Anybody had an issue?
Others can probably give you better info, but it can be an issue, which I learned only after I bought my '97 (I'd assume the same on an '00). I have some really tiny bubbles on my tank - I thought it might have been a bad re-paint somewhere in it's past, but at the dealership they were pretty certain it was the caused by the crap they put in the fuel.

The service manager showed me his Daytona of similar vintage, and it has a slight bulge in the side of the tank, just on one side right around where your knee would be. If he wouldn't have pointed it out, though, I wouldn't have known it was there.

If you look at the triumph forums, there is discussion about various kinds of tank funkiness.

That said - I wouldn't let it scare you too much. I imagine that it would take a long time to get really bad, and I'm not scared that it would affect my bike's ability to run.

The other thing - apparently the hoses inside the tank can start to gum up from the ethanol. Good news is that they aren't terribly expensive to replace (and I even had mine done at the dealer because I wanted to be sure it was done right, and it was still not expensive). I did it only as a precaution, not because I was having problems with them.

5 Different Nachos
bootzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #59
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 582
I had an 07 with the 1050 motor. i really did love it, but I did feel like I wanted it to have some more punch. Does anyone think that they will use the new 1215cc motor from the Trophy in the next S3? that would be a hoot!!
Old 09-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #60
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
I had an 07 with the 1050 motor. i really did love it, but I did feel like I wanted it to have some more punch. Does anyone think that they will use the new 1215cc motor from the Trophy in the next S3? that would be a hoot!!

Hopefully not.

Something that spins more like a 675 would be nice. The Trophy has a nice motor for what it is, its like a tractor torque all over the damn place, but it felt slow spooling up to me.

Of course I'm not a huge fan of the 1050 either, I like the Daytona flavor of 955i much better. That's just me though.