Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #31
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvardi View Post
I'm sure it's perfectly true... last time I went down I had to climb up on the bike.

Then, unfortunately I realized I left my wallet in the saddlebag... so had to climb back down and rummage around for it. Then climbed back up on top of the bike.

After that I thought 'Who wants to go to the hospital hungry?" so I climbed down, pulled out some sandwich fixings and started to make a little something. At which point I realized I was in serious trouble.. I mean I had nothing to spread the mayo with! Fortunately a piece of the front fairing broke loose. So I finished lunch, climbed back on top of the bike.

After I made a few more trips for raingear, sunglasses, comfy pillow, etc, I finally impacted the other car, then did a ninja flip six times over and landed on my feet... all to the tune of AC/DC's "Back in Black."
(I'd constructed a rudimentary MP3 player out of electronic bits coming loose somewhere around trip 9 back down the bike.)

Still had to go to the hospital of course. Repetitive strain injury from all that climbing.

(In case it isn't obvious.... I somewhat doubt anyone could "climb up and surf the bike in real life)
Pretty sure this is 205.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #32
bills3t
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I had to climb up on it.....

true story , thirty - four years ago a fellow marine stationed at pearl harbor , was going dowm kam 1 and out of the blue lays bike down , surfs the bike while having a seizure on top of bike . FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY HE HAD EPILIPSY . funny thing is , guy was riding yam rd400 .
bills3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #33
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
My next favorite is a guy on an old Harley that it was leaking oil so fast they would not let him anywhere near the track to race it.............
Fixed for accuracy! Now I can see the reasoning behind that.

Quote:
Was it a bologna sandwich???

Bacon!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #34
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,622
Flagging corners at a club race probably 30 years ago I saw some unfortunate racer high side. He landed on top the bike and they slid together for a while. There were some burns from the exhaust, and lots of bad bruises from the jutting out bike parts, minor blood etc. He would have fared better sliding on the pavement as long as no one hit him. Still, any wreck you walk away from, is a good one.

I hope his version of the story is better that that by now. That deserves some embellishment.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #35
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_biker View Post
In November of 2009 I was riding my 2007 Gold Wing down a back road when a deer----------------
So, how did the deer fare?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #36
kottomack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Eek

Quote:
I just had a conversation with a guy the wrecked a Goldwing. He told me that a car pulled out in front of him and he said he had enough time to tell his passage they were going to crash and that he then laid it down on purpose and "Climbed up on top of it"
I am sorry but I have heard that line for years and I thought to my self I have low sided 2 times and high sided once and the only thought I had was "SHIT!!!"
and then crash.What the hell am I doing wrong.
After watching motorcycle racing for the last 15 years I have yet to see a MotoGP rider surfing down the race track..
Has anyone else heard this line of bull shit and just wanted to yell " Liar!"???
Not sure....what kind of oil did he use
kottomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #37
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,712
If I have enough time to tell my passenger we're gonna crash I have enough time to avoid the crash.

For me, "layin' 'er down" would only be the end result of really trying hard to avoid a crash to the point where I just can't quite keep it on two wheels, not because I meant to lay it down. It has always been trying to avoid crashing, even when riding off road. I've only truly thrown away a bike maybe three times and they've all been off road. One was a flipped wheelie, another was realizing I'd just ridden into a briar patch (you would have appreciated the maneuver - big wheelie and jump, mostly clearing the patch), and maybe one I forgot about. Just sayin' it's always about trying to make an evasive maneuver and stay on the bike.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #38
FL_biker
Dakar Withdrawl

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
So, how did the deer fare?
The deer (a doe) ran off, but I think was hurt and got hit again later that night. I rode my other bike to bike-night the following evening (gotta get back on the "horse" ) and saw a big red smear on the road in the same area!!

So pissed it wasn't dead 'cuz now I've aggravated the injury over here in Afghanistan (on an elliptical - WTF?) and I may have to have surgery when I get back which means no riding for a while :(

Demented Dave in Boring Bagram, Afghanistan

Ned Suesse on Stage 2 of the 2012 Dakar: "You would have had to have been a blind monkey to get lost anywhere today!!"
FL_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #39
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
Unfair comparison. Isn't that Xaus? He has LOTS of experience crashing so he would very skilled at bike surfing

IIRC, he balled up so many machines that team managers started saying that their own rider "just Xaused" their bike when they totaled it.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #40
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,117
Most BS laden story regarding a bike was a young adult male, probably drunk, definitely stupid, sees my bike at the time, either a 1984 900 Ninja or FZR600R. Either way, he tells me about some bike he had, probably a Z1000 based on it being waaay back in the day... and how some girl saw him, and she had a fast car, and he had a fast bike and she said "if you catch me, you can have me". So she floors it, he passes here, blah blah blah... maybe a wheelie was involved. I just wanted to die so I stopped listening.

THEN, he says she stops, and is willing to honor her deal. So to fuck her, he has to transport the bike so they can ride together. Uh, why??? No matter, so he tells me they put the front wheel in the trunk and she tows his bike to the banging location of choice.

Riiiiiigggghhhhht... probably a dues payin' ABATE member.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #41
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Unfair comparison. Isn't that Xaus? He has LOTS of experience crashing so he would very skilled at bike surfing

IIRC, he balled up so many machines that team managers started saying that their own rider "just Xaused" their bike when they totaled it.

And now you know the real story of how he got his nickname- it's not just because he has long arms and legs and has to fold them all up to fit on a racebike.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #42
Madrox
Like a bat out of hell

Oddometer: 167
I've had to climb on top of it a couple times. The light bulb above blew and it was easier than getting a ladder. Wait, that doesn't count?
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #43
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,154
Laugh

OP Do mostly off road riding, just finished a 4 day 500+ mile mostly dirt ride in South East Utah. Went down hard 3 times. All 3 were on very rocky and steep loose dirt step ledges in Canyon Lands. One second banging along just fine downhill off ledges--next watching dirt slide by my face shield. I don't even get a chance for a good Oh Sh*t. Same for past 50 years of riding---you are not alone.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #44
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,182
You guys just need lesson's on layin-er down

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #45
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Pft, amateurs; they only showed the first half of that essential riding technique!

Most of you Riding Gods would know the following already, but just in case any n00bs have snuck in...

Part 2:
Once clear of the underside of the truck, turn the bars to full right lock, whilst simultaneously easing off the back brake and winding the throttle on. A split second before the rear wheel finds traction, hammer down on the road with your left heel, bringing the bike upwards from the floor in a reverse controlled slide. As you ride away, don't forget to pop a one handed wheelie (freeing up a hand to flip the bird at the stupid trucker who someone didn't see you, or foolishly misjudged your position as a result of your 190mph speed). Then pull over to pick up Cindy Crawford and well, you all know the rest.

Oh and forget that "Wear a leather jacket" nonsense they mention in the vid. A leather vest is plenty, there's no way a real man would mess up that manouevre.