User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #61
stoke OP
ocean minded

Oddometer: 492
mminob-

beautiful sounding board and cool bike-as I do the battle commute everyday on my 'strom, love the "outta my way KOOKS" comment! they are kooks. just sitting there, picking their nose, not paying attention, not taking ownership of their commute like a motorcycle pilot does. are you ocean beach SD or SF?

jsalman93-

i'm going to get a board rack fabricated somehow. i want one that folds for parking purposes and is quick release. surfed scripps the last couple of days and parking was a nightmare. can't take it anymore got to use the bike for EVERYTHING! plus i have some ratty old givi cases i can use for the wet wetsuit, etc.

Dork Vader-

yeah, how was his setup? crazy, right!? seemed so top heavy especially when you hear guys complaining about topcases mounting the weight too high.

i'm signing up for motoventures as well, time, whenever. what program are you going to do? i was really amped to discover that place on this thread. going to ride there for sure.

junglemototours-

that wave looks sick! been to costa four times, great surfing and i dig the dirt bikes some of the locals get around on. where are you located down there?

booniebasher-

outside of freediving, motorcycling is the purest freedom i can think of. dirtbiking even more so. solo mission for sure if you want it.

zack05-

i always found it interesting that for what looks like an unlimited resource, waves, they are really not. cause they're only good in limited geographic areas. thank god we get the whole planet to ride around on. i agree the pecking order is necessary. it wasn't before, but once the crowding got huge, it naturally evolved.

To wrap this long-ass post up:

I had an awesome session surfing yesterday am. As I got out of the water and to the parking lot, I noticed two sets of pirates with massive bagger harleys parked at the ocean view lookout spot. They were the "Wild Hogs" variety of harley enthusiasts playing dress up, and were actually wearing chaps. Chaps guys. Your ass would be hamburger in a sustained slide.

Anyhow.

They were checking out all the waves and the surfers having fun and I wondered if they were capable of making the connection between what they were looking at and what they were riding and the parallels between the two.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #62
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 704
2 Wheeled Schooner

Definitely crazy, woudn't want to sail that rig in anything other than a tailwind.

PM sent
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #63
booniebasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Try this. Next time you're riding a dirt bike stand up legs slightly crouched head over the handlebars be on the front number plate and slide around the corners in that position wheeling breaking and you'll feel like you're a surfer with unlimited possibilities. Go down mountains up mountains Mountains of jumps cranking around bolt pattern ripping three streams. It's the ultimate ride

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #64
davidbeinct
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by booniebasher View Post
Try this. Next time you're riding a dirt bike stand up legs slightly crouched head over the handlebars be on the front number plate and slide around the corners in that position wheeling breaking and you'll feel like you're a surfer with unlimited possibilities. Go down mountains up mountains Mountains of jumps cranking around bolt pattern ripping three streams. It's the ultimate ride

I'm a mountain biker, so I'm not 100% sure (only road motorcycle) but isn't that a no-no, unless you're on a closed race course? Pretty damaging to the trails, no?

David B.
davidbeinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #65
stoke OP
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by booniebasher View Post

sliding the bike around like that sounds fun as shit! i totally see how that would be like surfing.

surfed this am. rode bike to work. was more calm and smooth on the bike through traffic than normal.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #66
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
The thing I most often notice is - you can be a fat biker, but you can't be a fat surfer
When I go out, it's generally out with the old fat guys on longboards. Some have been in the water since before I was born (I'm 46). And they all get more waves than me!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #67
stoke OP
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
When I go out, it's generally out with the old fat guys on longboards. Some have been in the water since before I was born (I'm 46). And they all get more waves than me!
Those guys have the break so wired, and they sit so far outside, they definitely are all over anything that comes through. Most of them are in North County down here, specifically Swamis. I avoid it, as I don't have a longboard and just don't want to deal with the madness.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #68
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
Those guys have the break so wired, and they sit so far outside, they definitely are all over anything that comes through. Most of them are in North County down here, specifically Swamis. I avoid it, as I don't have a longboard and just don't want to deal with the madness.
Swami's.. agreed. When there with buddie's I paddle right past it to Boneyards and get a peak to myself while my buds and the 39 others in lineup flail for one slot.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #69
stoke OP
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Vader View Post
Swami's.. agreed. When there with buddie's I paddle right past it to Boneyards and get a peak to myself while my buds and the 39 others in lineup flail for one slot.
never understood why more people don't surf boneyards. i discovered it recently after moving to north county (always surfed central coastal before that) and it's a nice, uncrowded setup there.

i have GOT to get a board rack for my bike before this summer to avoid parking issues!
Old 04-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #70
mminob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Central Cali...Retirement ?

Quote:
never understood why more people don't surf boneyards. i discovered it recently after moving to north county (always surfed central coastal before that) and it's a nice, uncrowded setup there.

i have GOT to get a board rack for my bike before this summer to avoid parking issues!
Hey Stoke ,I'm in SD and have a dream of retireing someday ...somewhere...on the central coast...south of Santa Cruz , or north of Santa Barbara...love the looks of Cayucos...can you think of a fun little left surf spot up there...Goofy Foot longboarding ....mellow lineup ? Beautiful coastline ...less crowded?
Old 04-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #71
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by mminob View Post
Hey Stoke ,I'm in SD and have a dream of retireing someday ...somewhere...on the central coast...south of Santa Cruz , or north of Santa Barbara...love the looks of Cayucos...can you think of a fun little left surf spot up there...Goofy Foot longboarding ....mellow lineup ? Beautiful coastline ...less crowded?
Highly Regulated.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #72
stoke OP
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by mminob View Post
Man, I don't know those areas at all. There are hundreds of miles of uncrowded coastline though up that way. I tried to watch the video someone else just posted, but it's listed as private now, bummer!

In a weird way, sometimes I think the more crowded spots are LESS local because in the spots where fewer people go, all the guys that are already there all know each other and are resistant to new faces. Whereas here, there's so many people, it's tough if not impossible to regulate except for spots like newbreak. Blacks a good day is so crowded, there's yelling here and there, but no core group of locals.

Anyways....

I'm leaving work early to go surf! It's good today!

Does anyone have a hookup for decent motorcycle board racks here in San Diego? Something that could be attached/detached really fast would be ideal.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #73
340hp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Riding a surfboard and a motorcycle are very similar in the way that they both demand total concentration and as such, are a meditative, mind clearing tonic. The feeling after doing both is about the same. Relaxed, calm, clear head.

That is the main similarity.

The second is that piloting a motorcycle also makes you a better surfer.

If you surf and ride, what are some of your observations?

Both have the need for uncomplicated concentration, where body and vehicle placement become unconscious.

The learning experience is similar where as a novice you move around and over the vehicle in exaggerated motion to maintain control, and as you become comfortable you intuitively find subtle actions are more effective to move the vehicle under you to efficiently control where you want to go.

The target fixation many riders cannot shake is countered in surfing because the marker references in surfing are always moving down the line, forcing your eyes to keep moving and avoiding fixation. There are breaks where the rocks can create fixation for novices (Leo Carrillo, Rincon & others in SoCal) but the need to follow what the water is doing to make the section usually cures the surfer of target fixation.

Old, heavy, egg railed long board logs with keel fins are the H-D's of the surfing world. They require effort to paddle and turn fast, but they can plow through heavy chop with ease, and a good model can get that irresistible hum planing at speed (much like a good touring H-D enters it's comfort element on moderate back roads).

Modern long boards are more like liter-plus sport touring bikes, easy to turn and fast to trim, but not as nimble as a shorter lighter gun or Super Moto when things get steep and tight.

When you get past the hodads, posers, & pirates it's all abut a tribe of like minded individuals having fun.

It does not matter what you have to ride, as long as you ride what you have with skill & style.
340hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #74
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:

Anyways....

I'm leaving work early to go surf! It's good today!

Does anyone have a hookup for decent motorcycle board racks here in San Diego? Something that could be attached/detached really fast would be ideal.
I believe these are Carver racks;
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #75
stoke OP
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340hp View Post
Both have the need for uncomplicated concentration, where body and vehicle placement become unconscious.

The learning experience is similar where as a novice you move around and over the vehicle in exaggerated motion to maintain control, and as you become comfortable you intuitively find subtle actions are more effective to move the vehicle under you to efficiently control where you want to go.

The target fixation many riders cannot shake is countered in surfing because the marker references in surfing are always moving down the line, forcing your eyes to keep moving and avoiding fixation. There are breaks where the rocks can create fixation for novices (Leo Carrillo, Rincon & others in SoCal) but the need to follow what the water is doing to make the section usually cures the surfer of target fixation.

Old, heavy, egg railed long board logs with keel fins are the H-D's of the surfing world. They require effort to paddle and turn fast, but they can plow through heavy chop with ease, and a good model can get that irresistible hum planing at speed (much like a good touring H-D enters it's comfort element on moderate back roads).

Modern long boards are more like liter-plus sport touring bikes, easy to turn and fast to trim, but not as nimble as a shorter lighter gun or Super Moto when things get steep and tight.

When you get past the hodads, posers, & pirates it's all abut a tribe of like minded individuals having fun.

It does not matter what you have to ride, as long as you ride what you have with skill & style.
Sorry for my delay in responding. What an excellent post, especially considering the surf has been FUN the last few days. Really fun.

You really nailed it man, especially about the target fixation thing. The playing field constantly changes on the wave, moment to moment-hesitate and the section is lost. I also noticed that when I got back into motorcycling, my surfing down the line with speed improved-if you're going fast on a motorcycle, you damn sure better look where you want to go!

I also like it that you called out the HD's of the surfing world without hating. Yes, there are many who ride those boards who don't know what's up or how to surf, just like there are many who ride HD's in the same boat.

But, in the hands of a skilled rider, they have their place. I got a custom shaped 8' 0" fun board last year and it's f-ing awesome in the summer. My friends make fun of me but for the shape, but I don't care! It has it's place for the right conditions.