ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #27286
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
[QUOTE=SloDon;21196132]Everyone was in the mountains this weekend.....big bikes.....

Me and Browndog pasted this spot Sunday also....
VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #27287
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

need to transport a bike from Ga to Md

Any ideas DOG's ?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #27288
SloDon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
[QUOTE=VOLdog;21226008]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloDon View Post
Everyone was in the mountains this weekend.....big bikes.....

Me and Browndog pasted this spot Sunday also....

The view on Saturday was awesome!!

Glad you were able to squeeze in a ride. Are you down for a while?

I want to ride your new toy.....
Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!
SloDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #27289
Alfredo(icelander)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by judobiker View Post
Danny (Tellico camper). As long as he never let Fernando ride it, it should be good to go.

I might have to add some weight to the front for street riding (kinda like on a tractor). Hard to keep the nose down. I haven't dyno tested 'em, but believe it or not it feels like it may have a few more ponies than the ol KDX.
You bet I did.And I didnt drop it.... I think
Alfredo(icelander) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #27290
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=SloDon;21226812]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLdog View Post

The view on Saturday was awesome!!

Glad you were able to squeeze in a ride. Are you down for a while?

I want to ride your new toy.....
I was only home for 3 days

Don

U dont want to ride the 950....
I rode Browndogs and bought one !!!
It is one sweet machine with nothing to compare it to.
The permanent smile maker !!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #27291
SloDon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
[QUOTE=VOLdog;21233073]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloDon View Post

I was only home for 3 days

Don

U dont want to ride the 950....
I rode Browndogs and bought one !!!
It is one sweet machine with nothing to compare it to.
The permanent smile maker !!

We got out yesterday.......

Weather was just as clear as last Saturday.

Once again we went up the west side of the Cohutta, albeit at a slightly quicker pace. I think we were all feeling frisky having not ridden the small bikes lately. I even upped my pace a tad, although not to where I need to go changing my name or anything!

Once in NC we altered the route to pick up Benton Springs Road which is a nice twisty climb up the west side of Oswald Dome. Then instead of going down Clear Creek to 30 we went straight on 77 and took the next cut off down. This is a straighter faster road, but I think I like the tighter more scenic Clear Creek option.

We went back in Lost Creek to the “Aztec” ruins and the “Leaky Pipe” and guess what? The “Leaky Pipe” is once again leaking! After leaving the pipe we headed out to turtle Town as Larry needed to peel off.

Jeff and I continued down 64 to the No. 3 pump station and across the river back to 221. We ran down to Tumbling Creek and the water was the highest I have ever seen it on the concrete creek crossing at the first campground.

Next up was Hell’s hollow and it did not disappoint….muddy and more rutted out!

Bikes covered with mud and a little tired we pondered our next move………The valley I said and Jeff’s face let up! That would be a great (or problematic) way to end the day! Off we went….

As I figured the creeks were high and following fast! We paused at the first…Jeff called me chicken and off he went…..got of the way and stalled! No harm just water in the boots…level almost to our knees.

We both learned today was no day to be tentative….twist the throttle! The road was also more rutted than usual; I hope they don’t grade it soon getting to be like Old Bucktown. Each crossing was a mini adventure as the water was the second highest I had ever seen.

This was as deep and fast a flow as I am comfortable tacking…..well till next time!

We made all five and stopped at the clearing to let our boots and bikes drain and laugh at our luck or stupidity! One the way out I lead the way and took Jeff’s advice…twist the throttle ( I also had the knowledge learned following Jeff in.) so the return crossings were tackled at a brisker pace…you know what that means....rocks and water everywhere!

200+ miles on the DRZ's, great weather, views, roads, mud and water!

That's a GOOD day!

Looking forward to you getting back for awhile and riding with you again.....the 950, I just want to ride it once....don't think I should own one.....I am trying to calm down in my old age!!!!

Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!

SloDon screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 06:49 AM
SloDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #27292
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13 View Post

Gang, I'm looking for a cheap ($1,200ish), street-legal commuter for my son. Anyone have a fugly bike that runs? Or a motor that could be fitted to a DR200 carcass?
Pete
This is going up in FM later today - meets some of criteria:

Cheap - check $750
Fugly - check, at least my wife thinks so
Runs - sort of, Big Mike at KTM World says the plug gap is being mechanically altered by either a) piston hitting it or b) something dropped into the cylinder.

This will make a nice project for someone who has the time, or use it for spares. Link to ad when I get it posted.

btw - Nitro Aces - thanks for referring me to him for 690e woes. Super nice guy and sorted it right out with new map.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #27293
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

And yes - been a beautiful couple of weekends. Mama was on girlz beach trip so I was child rearing this one, but spent three days camp & ride TN, GA, NC, SC last weekend. Only pic from the trip coming down 129 buffing out bags

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #27294
dep411
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Nice
dep411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #27295
Jason Steelrod
Scooter Nerd

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
And yes - been a beautiful couple of weekends. Mama was on girlz beach trip so I was child rearing this one, but spent three days camp & ride TN, GA, NC, SC last weekend. Only pic from the trip coming down 129 buffing out bags

What is the Top Box you are using? I am looking for that exact one to put on my R11GS.
1970 Suzuki AC50 (my actual first bike)
2001 BMW K1200LTC (Sold)
1999 BMW R1100GS
Jason Steelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #27296
Jason Steelrod
Scooter Nerd

Oddometer: 16
Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
This is going up in FM later today - meets some of criteria:

Cheap - check $750
Fugly - check, at least my wife thinks so
Runs - sort of, Big Mike at KTM World says the plug gap is being mechanically altered by either a) piston hitting it or b) something dropped into the cylinder.

This will make a nice project for someone who has the time, or use it for spares. Link to ad when I get it posted.

btw - Nitro Aces - thanks for referring me to him for 690e woes. Super nice guy and sorted it right out with new map.

Trying to sell a car right now, if it sells before you sell the bike I will take it. Give me the specifics on the bike, year...etc. Does the piston have a hole? Does it just need the topend?
1970 Suzuki AC50 (my actual first bike)
2001 BMW K1200LTC (Sold)
1999 BMW R1100GS
Jason Steelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #27297
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by judobiker View Post
Danny (Tellico camper). As long as he never let Fernando ride it, it should be good to go.

I might have to add some weight to the front for street riding (kinda like on a tractor). Hard to keep the nose down. I haven't dyno tested 'em, but believe it or not it feels like it may have a few more ponies than the ol KDX.
I knew it was just a matter of time 'til you went Orange Charlie. Congrats - I think that's the bike Danny rode last fall when he was up. That thing was incredible! and tagged...wow.

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #27298
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Steelrod View Post
What is the Top Box you are using? I am looking for that exact one to put on my R11GS.
The top box is a Pelican Case model 1550. I began using their stuff in the early 90's white water paddling - well made. I bolted directly to my rear rack so it's not a real easy on / off but does the trick.

You can buy it here (and pick up a used black and white! ) or at many outdoor stores.

Caribou Cases resells it with racks - have seen some folks go this route.

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 06:57 PM
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #27299
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Steelrod View Post
Trying to sell a car right now, if it sells before you sell the bike I will take it. Give me the specifics on the bike, year...etc. Does the piston have a hole? Does it just need the topend?
Good luck with sale.

I'm going to do a full write up and post in FM later today - I do not beleive the piston has a hole in it but new owner should be ready for full motor build.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #27300
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLdog View Post
Any ideas DOG's ?
Come on up here and buy my 6x10 trailer. It will get your bike to MD with room to spare. If I price it like you are pricing your 530, I'll be rich, biatch.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote