Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #61
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 677
I had an ’09 KLR that I bought new in ‘08, farkled-up and rode like hell. Basically I rode it like a big fat dirtbike, so it ended up with lots of scratches and scrapes, but I kept up with maintenance and mechanically it was in good shape. I ended up buying KTM 990 and the KLR sat for about 8 months, started occasionally to keep the fluids circulated and the battery charged.

At an ADV rally in Utah, a friend of a friend expressed some interest in the KLR, I gave him a price and he said, “no promises, but I think I want to buy your bike.” I didn’t really think anything would come out of it, because A) we were drunk, B) it didn’t sound like he really rode all that much and C) he was from Boise and the bike was in LA, but a couple months later I get a call and he’s bought a one-way airline ticket to LA so he can pick it up and ride it home.

A few days before he shows up I starter her up to take a test spin and the carb’s gummed up. S%#t. Pull it apart and clean it and go for a test ride and the front tire goes flat. S%#t. Fix the tire, hit the starter it and the newish battery is dead. S%#t. Pull a battery out of a buddy’s bike and throw it in the KLR, and the dude shows up with the cash and off he goes. At this point I’m feeling pretty nervous because my formerly reliably bike is suddenly a garage queen, and this dude is about to ride 900 miles across the desert in the middle of summer. About a week later I got an e-mail from the guy that he made it home with zero problems – man, I’ve never been so relieved. 6 months later he followed up and the bike was been running like a Swiss watch.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #62
wheatfly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
My story is not that crazy but at least a little odd. Back in 99' I had a 1986 XR600 listed in the local news paper for $1500. It was a run it till it sales deal for $20. I was 17 at the time and had someone come the first day and offer me $1200, silly me didn't take it but I was young and thought I would hold out for closer to $1500. Few calls here and there but ultimately ended up running the add for 2 or 3 months.

Get a call at 10 oclock one night from a guy he says if I'll take $1200 he'll come get it that night. I him and haw then say yes. Then he tells me where he's coming from and it's 2 hours away! Gave him partial directions interstate exit drive another 10 miles off the interstate call me when you see the one and only gas station in the town (figured it would be a no show). Phone rings at midnight and he's at the gas station, give him the last couple of turns and he's at my house in 5 minutes. Dad, teen age son, and some dude in his 20s all climb out of an old Chevrolet pickup that looks like a beat old farm truck with 1 head light and 1 tail light.

I've got the bike under the half lit carport awning. Looks at the bike a minute or two says I'll take it. Didn't even start it. I said do you want to hear it/ride it? "Yeah sure, I guess." So I climb on and get it started. He jumps on and takes off up the drive way (couple hundred yard long shared driveway with a neighbor) winds it out pretty good in the dead of night with an old supertrapp muffler on it. Comes back gives me the money and they load it up. They putter off into the dark of night and I recount the money go inside and go to bed. Total transaction was 15-20minutes and past midnight. All good and I didn't get burned.

I wouldn't do that now but didn't know any better then.
wheatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #63
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 17,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodznokkin View Post
Next buyer comes along, takes the test drive and she is definitely going to buy it. She comes back a week later and again says she is going to buy it. She places her hand on the fender, looks to the sky and shouts, "I claim this Mercedes in the name of Jesus"! She left again and that was the last I saw of her. I guess Jesus just wasn't listening.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #64
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 530
I haven't sold my bike yet, however this relates to the purchase and later sale of an '89 BMW 535i.

I purchased this car from a guy who bought it for his (hot) daughter, and she didn't like it as it was too big. He then purchased her a corolla. He sold it to me for $1300. He was asking $1500. It had 320,000kms on it and ran like a fekkin charm.

6 months later the gearbox ate itself and I was quoted $4500 for a rebuild, or a second hand, non rebuilt box for $2600 + install. Fuck that.

I advertised it for $1300 with one month rego left on it. Some young English guy rang me and asked about the box, and can I drive it home. "I dunno how far you will get. It works ok, then sometimes it gets hot and you lose 1st gear, and other times you have first but not second."

He asks me to take it for a run and see how it is (his words were to drive it a bit hard) and call him back. So, I took it for a hard drive around town. I pounded the shit out of it actually. I did a fucking amazing set of donuts and left a huge set of "11's" up the street of the industrial area.

I rang him back, said the gearbox held up ok, the limited slip diff still works, the rear tyres might need replacing.

He came, had a look and took it for a drive that afternoon. Came back said there were no problems with it, it ran beautifully, then laughed at the massive set of black marks up the road. I grinned as said "yep, that was me"

"Oh" he replied. Im thinking, fuck, I just blew this transaction.

He turns to his gf and says "im going to pull this motor and put it in the 318i and scrap the car. I want to do that!"

He offers me $1100, and I took it

I didn't lay a hand on that car, just put in fuel, drove the ass off it and did a set of darkies that are still visible 6 months later, and only lost $200. The insurance company refunded me 3 months of insurance, leaving me out of pocket a grand total of $350 for 5 months of driving around in a luxury car

He rang me a week later and told me he pulled the engine and sold the rest for $1000. Its the car that kept giving!!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #65
Retired-N-Roamin
Retired and Roamin

Oddometer: 52
A friend and I drove his VW Golf diesel from San Antonio to the gulf coast (Port Aransas) and back on less than a 1/2 tank of fuel. At the time I was driving a worn out Honda Accord. A couple months later I bought a 2003 VW Jetta diesel for $16,400 off of eBay.

I drove that Jetta for 8 years and about 90k miles with only routine servicing - oil, brakes, tires and timing belt changed. Life changed and I need to sell it.

I paid $200 for a complete detail, made a 7 minute video walk-around, took 30 or 40 hi-rez pictures and placed it on eBay.

A 'buy it now' price of $8,500. It sold within 10 hours. Sucks to know that you priced a rig at least $1k or maybe $1.5k too low.

But the buyer flew in from Oklahoma the next Saturday, took the car for a 10 minute drive, handed me the cashiers check, I signed the title and he was away. Total face-to-face transaction time, less than 90 minutes including picking him up at the airport.

The key to the fast sale - according to the buyer - was the video.

So, if you have a good item - and it's not a piece of crap - and you want a premium price, then clean it up and make a video along with some nice hi-rez pics. Put it on your choice of for sale sites and be prepared for the inevitable Nigerian scams and low-ballers. But if you've priced it right for the condition you'll get a fast sale.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #66
Retired-N-Roamin
Retired and Roamin

Oddometer: 52
I bought my GS from a local dealer. The PO traded it in for a newer GS. I was amazed at the condition. Nary a scratch. No dirt, no dust - even under the seat. Pristine as one can get for a 2001 GS.

Come to find out that the PO was/is a fanatic about detailing his equipment - Thanks Kurt!

So far it's been a good bike for me. I have some small maintenance items to do - brake lines and then add some HID lights and some other farkles - then it'll be perfect for my old man.

So this was not necessarily 'funny' but I was amazed at the pristine condition of the bike - see this thread for my initial questions about its coondition.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #67
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired-N-Roamin View Post
The key to the fast sale - according to the buyer - was the video.

So, if you have a good item - and it's not a piece of crap - and you want a premium price, then clean it up and make a video along with some nice hi-rez pics.
Truth. I bought my '65 F100 multiple states away based on a video the guy sent me that proved it was as rust-free as I demanded. His photos sucked, but the video (even put it on a lift!) showed me exactly what I was buying.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #68
Bad Daddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
The hose, the hose!

Ever notice on Craigslist, every used bike that's for sale, has always "just been washed" and the seller is so excited to get a pic of it, that they forget about the hose?

I looked at about a dozen ads for different bikes, and they all had a hose / bucket, etc in the background...if your gonna wash it, move it 10 feet away, to the grass, so I'll be fooled.

When I sold a friends mint Road King last year, (97 with only 7K miles on it! I washed it, detailed it, then assessed the paint. Quick once over with glaze and wax, it truly shined. Took almost a year to sell it, but a young fellow was coming over to look at it, and if it looked as good as the pics, he would pay me asking price in cash. But, he said, "I want to meet the owner if I'm going to pay cash". No problem, owner (who's 72) comes over, guy shows up, rides it up and down the lane, puts the kickstand down, and tells his buddy, "Pay the man, it's perfect!"

As he is looking over the 100% stock bike, (even the tires were original) he pauses, sniffs and asks, "do I smell Pledge?"

Yes you do, rather than wash it, etc, I went over the bike with Pledge.

He thought that was a great idea!

Anyhow, he bought it, put 2000 miles on it in 3 weeks and called to thank me for not misrepresenting the bike, and how happy he was with it.

Oh, and no hose was in the selling pics either!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #69
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
Truth. I bought my '65 F100 multiple states away based on a video the guy sent me that proved it was as rust-free as I demanded. His photos sucked, but the video (even put it on a lift!) showed me exactly what I was buying.

And that is also true when the picture on Craig's List is of a dirty, neglected bike that is sitting in the back of the garage. Of course, the ad says, "ready to ride or just needs a battery and carbs cleaned"!
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #70
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
And that is also true when the picture on Craig's List is of a dirty, neglected bike that is sitting in the back of the garage. Of course, the ad says, "ready to ride or just needs a battery and carbs cleaned"!
And the ever-popular, "Ran great when it was parked"!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #71
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
And the ever-popular, "Ran great when it was parked 5, 10, 20, 900 years ago"!

1911fan
Fixed it for you.

My favourite is "excellent condition, runs great, only needs a stator/top end/bottom end/front end to be perfect".

I came across this ad today on Kijiji (similar to Craigs List)

_________
2005 Yamaha YZF 600 in need of repair
Had a slow speed accident with a deer in the fall of 2011. The deer's antler hit my blackberry in my pants pocket and the deer broke its neck (served him right). Bike ended up laid over on the left side and slid down the road. Some issue with the front fork and needs plastic on one side. No time to fix but it deserves a good home. Approximately 3700 km.
_________

He must have the high end bullet proof version of the blackberry.
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #72
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,346
I once had an 86 full sized Blazer that I'd bought from my uncle, the original owner. He'd restored it about 3 years before selling it to me. I listed it on craigslist and had a call from someone 300 miles away that afternoon.

He asked about 4WD. I told him that I hadn't had it offroad or in the snow in a couple of years, but every month i'd shift it in 4wheel high and drive it down the block. Dash light said '4WD' and I could hear the engagement, but if he wanted it inspected he could hire someone.

He had his brother in law come check it out, the B-I-L drove it and gave it two thumbs up. I delivered it the next weekend and the buyer (a preacher) gave me a big envelope full of cash. I asked if he wanted to look it over first before we signed the title and Bill of Sale stating 'As Is' in big boldlettersand he said 'Nope, he was good.

Two weeks later, he calls and says 4WD doesn't work, I need to send him back $1,000 to take care of it. I don't know where he came up with that number, he hadn't even taken it to a mechanic. I told him to go fuck off, he had three chances to inspect it and now he's complaining about an issue that he found 2 weeks after the sale. He called me back for about a week giving me the 'are you really gonna screw over a man of the cloth?' sad song until I finally told him to go fuck himself with his cloth and go straight to hell.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:06 AM   #73
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Selling my bike

I sold my last bike, an '06 Honda Shadow VLX on Craigslist last year. Bike had about 45k miles and ran like a charm, as I always took great care of it and it was my daily driver.
So I get a text from an interested buyer, and he comes down to check it out and brings his 'expert' friend to come have a look-see as well. I ride up on the bike, with my dad driving the car (we only lived a few blocks away and I don't really like the idea of random CL people coming to the house), the guy and his 'expert' friend have a look at the bike. I make some small talk with them and the guy wanting to buy the bike hasn't taken his MSF class yet and it looking for something to ride after he passes. That's cool, the bike isn't exactly a beast , but it's no slow-poke, decent for a beginner. Anyway, the 'expert' friend goes on to tell me that he has been riding for a whole of two years and that he has an SV650 that he just laid down the other day. He shows me his road rash and laughs it off...genius Then they ask for a test ride for the bike, and no way in hell I'm letting any of them ride it without cash in hand, so I hold the cash and have him write up a quick contract saying if he breaks it, he bought it. The 'expert' takes off down the street, over-revving the engine, barely rides it more than a minute, and comes back saying that it's pristine. Whatever, so they buy it, I'm just glad to get rid of it so I can get something sporty that has more than four gears and won't kill my back on my 30 mile commute.

Then I get a call about ten minutes after saying that he wants his money back and that the bike isn't starting and it's a piece of shit. I told him that I'll come check it out and see what the issue might be. I meet up at a nearby gas station, and find that the expert flooded it trying to start it and rev at the same time, and killed the battery. I start it up for them and even decided to be a nice guy and give them 40 bucks off so he can get a battery later if he wants (my battery was getting a bit older, but never gave me issues). I get a call the next day from them saying that it won't start again (probably didn't pull the choke, I'm guessing) and that i fucked him over and all of this. I didn't waste my time arguing with him, just recommended that he takes the MSF class and learn how to start the bike.

Took the money and went and got myself my current bike '06 FZ6 that I'm still loving to this day, also off CL (but a much better transaction by far)

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #74
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,346
we've had a lot of people come look at bikes that we list on craigslist. the first thing they say is 'so, what's the lowest you'll take for it?'

I tell them 'The lowest I'll take without haggling is the price that it's listed at. If you think it's worth less, make me an offer and I'll consider it.'

Most say 'Man I'm really interested, but you gotta help me out here, what'll you take for it?' Some just walk off. It must be a Memphis thing, I never got this sorta response when I lived in St. Louis. Why the fuck would I knock a few $100's off just because you asked, without making an offer?
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #75
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
we've had a lot of people come look at bikes that we list on craigslist. the first thing they say is 'so, what's the lowest you'll take for it?'

I tell them 'The lowest I'll take without haggling is the price that it's listed at. If you think it's worth less, make me an offer and I'll consider it.'

Most say 'Man I'm really interested, but you gotta help me out here, what'll you take for it?' Some just walk off. It must be a Memphis thing, I never got this sorta response when I lived in St. Louis. Why the fuck would I knock a few $100's off just because you asked, without making an offer?
Naw, it's in the water.

Sold a 2007 SV650S last year, really nice with 4,200 miles on it. Got emails from CL offering as little as $2,500. Also a guy or two with the "All I have is $x,xxx" pitch - all before they'd seen the bike.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote