User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
daveoneshot OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Bing rebuild question......

Rebuilding a pair of 32 mm Bings for an R 100/7. What's the best way to lock in the little screws that hold the butterfly disc to the throttle shaft ?? Thanks in advance, Dave.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,065
It's recommended to peen over the threaded end to physically distort it so it can't back out.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
CanadaBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
wait what?

If well tightened, would they really back out? I just rebuilt a set of 32mm on my 100/7, and I removed the butterflies to change the throttle shaft o-rings. The screws were tight, but I got them out with a screwdriver. I sued new screws but just reefed them in good and tight.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Plaka
Banned

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoneshot View Post
Rebuilding a pair of 32 mm Bings for an R 100/7. What's the best way to lock in the little screws that hold the butterfly disc to the throttle shaft ?? Thanks in advance, Dave.
Put a big flat punch in the vise to use as an anvil, set the screw head on that and kiss the other end of the screw with a dull chisel, very lightly, to stake it in place.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
brocktoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBiker View Post
wait what?

If well tightened, would they really back out? I just rebuilt a set of 32mm on my 100/7, and I removed the butterflies to change the throttle shaft o-rings. The screws were tight, but I got them out with a screwdriver. I sued new screws but just reefed them in good and tight.
I've heard of them coming loose and getting sucked into the engine. Folks who do this for a living can speak to the frequency/likelihood of it happening.

I used loctite on mine.
brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,000
I have also used locktight but the proper way is with peening.

CanadaBiker- I have a feeling that you backed the original screws out with out undoing the original peening? When these carbs were put together the first time those screws were peened in place to insure the tiny screws wouldn't come out. When rebuilding if the deformed screw is removed the threads in the shaft will be deformed and likely loose.

The peening is removed with a file. If they were properly peened originally the shafts will be reusable. You should use new screws. Often times the shafts won't survive or rebuilders change them any way. I have changed them.

The new screws are longer than needed. I have a small saw blade that fits in the bore and can cut the screws down to size.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,004
It's not that they would back out, it's that damage that would occur if one did and got sucked into the engine.

Methods vary, I'm sure, but I use a very sharp 3/16" chisel to make a cut/deform the edge of the threaded end. The relatively large burr formed will not allow the screw to pass through the rod if it comes loose.

I do not attempt to peen the screw in order to prevent it from loosening.