Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Cuz FJR riders are ASSHOLES?

Just be glad you ain't ride'in in Taipei; Outta mah way beeeoootch!

Holy shit, that's a nasty spill. Asshat on the left clipped her, Dickhead on the right, meh, I'm just going to keep going.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #17
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm View Post
These under-trained and unfit bikers endanger me more than the cagers. The cagers are a lot more predictable.

There's a popular saying here: "I miss the time where the only ones riding were people who liked bikes".
I was sitting in the salesman's office at a dealership in Fort Collins, CO once finishing up the deal on a DR650. As we sat there, they must have sold four or five of those tiny little scooters that you see so many of these days. I commented that those things scared me, they aren't quite motorcycles and they aren't really bicycles, yet these folks are out there in traffic on them pretending they're cars. The dealer asked, do you know who's buying all those things? No... People who have lost their driver's licenses for some reason, most commonly DUI convictions; under a certain engine size they aren't required to have a driver's license or even get the damned things plated! Well, that's comforting, sez me. Tell me about it, sez he, those things are everywhere and are driven by people who can't get a license! I watch very carefully for scooters.

Second story of motorcyclists - I love to bicycle as well as ride my motorcycles. I was biking up on the Blue Ridge Parkway one fine Monday morning, a glorious day with almost zero traffic. I hear the sound of motorcycles overtaking me and think no sweat, bikers are cool. I always ride toward the right side of the road anyway, especially on twisty roads with no shoulders, so I was far right when WHOOOSH!!! four MC's came blazing past me at maybe two feet separation and (I'm guessing) +40 or 50 MPH. WTF!?!?!? I sit up and kinda wave my arm at them, then two more come blazing by in the same manner! This was on a relatively straight stretch with plenty of sight distance and no on-coming cars. A couple miles up the road I see the group pulled over at a viewpoint and hold my arms up like WTF, you guys. They saw me but didn't acknowledge my gesture. I kept pedelling up the hill and sure enough, here come the asshats again in a little while and do the same damned thing! This time I sat up and flipped them off and got the same in return. The group was riding ADV bikes like KLRs, Tigers, and GSs; I was severely disheartened by that - I'm sure if a cager did that to them they'd be just hashed about it.

Doug
Old 04-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
Flyinace1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
People who have lost their driver's licenses for some reason, most commonly DUI convictions; under a certain engine size they aren't required to have a driver's license or even get the damned things plated! Well, that's comforting, sez me. Tell me about it, sez he, those things are everywhere and are driven by people who can't get a license!
Well that's comforting...

2005 Yamaha FZ6 (the faster blue )
1995 Honda Magna VF750C (sold)
Flyinace1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
Farmholio
Wobbling weeble

Oddometer: 118
Interesting thread and just as you suspected, there appears to be no shortage of crappy riders. The overall theme appears to be acute testosterone poisoning.

I lived in Calgary for a few years and there's a stretch of road between Bragg Creek and Transcanada 1 that was routinely a parade of two wheeled fools on any warm sunny weekend afternoon. It was such a predictable junkshow that I actually completely gave up on the motorcycle "wave".

One time I happened to be headed out on a trip south to Glacier and I had successfully made it through the fray and onto what was usually two or three rural roads away from the typical parade route and I came to a T intersection where to loud pipe types had decided to stop side by side and try to have some conversation over the sound of there exhausts. I can't imagine what was so urgent as the right turn was a dead end so after waiting a good bit for them to get sorted, I decided to go around them and made the left by going around on the left side. As I continued on my way, it became apparent that this was apparently some kind of slight as they were immediately spurred into action and were barreling down the road wide open to catch and pass me (a lot closer than I was particularly happy with at that). I ended up passing them a few miles later at a breakfast joint in Black Diamond and gave them my best stink eye. Maybe one of them had to pee really badly, who knows? With the way they were riding, I half expected to come across them buried into a curve.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #20
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
I've got a few:

- Cruising down the highway on my way to the gym, I was passing some cars in the right lane (I was in the left, fast lane). Temp was around 40 degrees and I was bundled up in all my gear, shivering at 70 mph. A biker on a cruiser passed me in my lane going at least 15 mph faster wearing only a beanie, sunglasses, a wife-beater, jeans and boots. I tried to move over for him into the right lane so he could pass, but I couldn't get in because of the cars. He just blasted right on past me and forced me to the left portion of the lane. He did wave after he passed though ...he lane split at considerable speed between some cars after he passed me too...late for work?

- Leaving after work one evening I ran into a couple on some sort of fat wheeled bike. Purple, pink flames, chrome, HUGE tires, etc. They were weaving all over the road pointing out houses along the river. I followed them at some distance going about 15 miles under the speed limit for a mile or more, inched closer hoping they would move to pass. They didn't move over so I passed them in the opposite lane. Came to a stop sign and the rider blocked me in and gave me a few words about passing him so aggressively
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 897
QUOTE:

- Leaving after work one evening I ran into a couple on some sort of fat wheeled bike. Purple, pink flames, chrome, HUGE tires, etc. They were weaving all over the road pointing out houses along the river. I followed them at some distance going about 15 miles under the speed limit for a mile or more, inched closer hoping they would move to pass. They didn't move over so I passed them in the opposite lane. [B]Came to a stop sign and the rider blocked me in and gave me a few words about passing him so aggressively :huh[/QUOTE][/B]

that's what full face helmets with tinted shields are for.
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #22
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
I watch very carefully for scooters.
I do too, and I ride one. The breakpoint is 50cc in states that allow that ride-with-a-DUI crap . As far as I'm concerned someone who loses their license should be limited to public transport and bumming rides.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJ View Post
Holy shit, that's a nasty spill. Asshat on the left clipped her, Dickhead on the right, meh, I'm just going to keep going.
Ya can't see it in this short vid, but it wuz actually her own fault. She wuz over to the right, go'in slow, and holding up a whole gaggle of riders, when the guy with the oxygen tank(?) started ta pass, she eased left, 'n clip'd the tank. Iz a nasty get off.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #24
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,577
I was on my fully-loaded 750 SOHC going through a few traffic lights approaching Concord NH. In the lane beside me a Sportster was revving and generally making noise. Light turns green and I go off at a sprirted clip but not drag racing -- I had camping gear plus city clothes fer gosh sakes. The Sporty zooms by to the next light. Same routine. He ends up in my lane in front of me and gets off to -- what? -- check his carburetors? Light turns green and I go by and don't see him again.

I am certain that I am supposed to be impressed that a newish Sportster can pass a fully-loaded 35-year-old 750 multiple times. And he knows enough to blip the throttle while poking at what is probably fuel injection.

No drama. No problem. Just weird.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #25
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
2 years ago, i was riding with a good friend on some nice mountain twisties. we came up to a group of maybe 4-6 riders, i donīt know which bikes they rode, but the leader was on a yellow r1150gs. a big guy, not AGATT. we passed them quickley (we ride this area very often) and went on. a few kmīs further we came up to a slow car, no way to overtake, very narrow corners. after a few minutes, the before mentioned group appeared in my rear mirror and the leader, the yellow GS rode behind me, maybe 0.5m behind my rear wheel. i was really scared. i donīt care if one of my riding buddies is doing this, but a stranger, no thanks. i slowed down, he and one or two of his group passes me and when the road opened up, my and my mate where gone again.

last fall, my and 2 friends (ducati 916, ducati 848, buell xb12) where riding our favourite route, a 2 hour roundtrip on some of the best roads in the alps. we came up on 2 riders, they where on sportbikes aswell, but the second rider was clearly a noob. he was riding something like an first gen R1, knees wide out, hands completley straight and somehow very stiff on the bike. he had no flow, thats the best i can describe it. of course, we wanted to get away from this guy, for saftey reasons. unfortunatley, we were in the middle of overtaking, when we entered a village, and at the end of the village a cop waved us down. no speeding or anything, just a routine check. turned out, the noob guy on the R1 has just bought the bike a few days ago. tires 6 years old and almost no thread left. illigal pipes. what could have happened...

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #26
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
Last month I was looking for a M/C park, but was having a hard time finding it. Out in the sticks on a deserted road, I determined that I was (again) not going in the right direction. Looking at the gps, there was a road up ahead where I could turn around. As I was entering a long right hand curve, behind a couple of SUV's, I notice a bevy of sport bikes come up behind me. Finish the curve, & as I check the gps again for the turn around spot, I hear a motor winding up. As I look in my left mirror, one of them shoots past. Then it got scary. Another goes by...ON THE RIGHT!!! Two up no less. Three went by on the left, but two went by on the right. Both were two up, girls had on no gear except for a helmet. Oh, I forgot to mention this was on a two lane country road. They barely kept it on the pavement as they blew past the two SUV's. Then these asshats turned at the road I was going to use as a turn around, less than a quarter mile ahead.

Motorcyclists have been scaring slower traffic since there have been motorcyclists. Get used to it.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
I think I've had more close call's with bikes, than with cars, cutting a corner, or oncoming bike drifting wide.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #28
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Ya can't see it in this short vid, but it wuz actually her own fault. She wuz over to the right, go'in slow, and holding up a whole gaggle of riders, when the guy with the oxygen tank(?) started ta pass, she eased left, 'n clip'd the tank. Iz a nasty get off.
WRONG!

Watch the vid closely & try to pay attention. The rider on the left crowds his way past. Whatever is overextended on his rear rack catches the left bar of the girl on the scooter & takes her down. His fault, not hers. The guy that looks down at her & rides off is a total dick. I'd like to meet him.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #29
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussijussi View Post
I think I've had more close call's with bikes, than with cars, cutting a corner, or oncoming bike drifting wide.
Consider yourself blessed.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #30
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Riding a well known bit of twisty road, I see a bike down on the outside of a slow, blind, downhill turn and a few other bikes and riders around it. I pull over to check all is well.

Am told it is not much of an issue, rider has simply approached the turn too hot and slid off the bike under brakes. Both have slid across the oncoming lane and the rider has gone past the shoulder and a short way down the slope beyond it. He is fine. No-one is making much of it. Just a bit of bad luck, it appears.

While I am stopped with them, a car comes up the road the other way and approaches the same turn. The car therefore is in the outside lane, but as the driver negotiates the turn he places two wheels slightly to the inside of the centreline.

The group I have stopped for goes wild. Yelling, fist-shaking, and fuck-you gestures as the vehicle goes by.

I ask what the problem was.

"Didn't you see that!" I'm told. "Wheels right over the line!

"One of us could have been coming the other way!!!."