ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #3016
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeassloser View Post
We are picking up a CB1100 ABS model tomorrow for the wifey!And we are parking it next to this.

http://

It was love at first sight for both of us.They should make good stablemates.
Love the Cb350! That one looks to be in great shape to. I would kill to have one of these to piddle around on. I cant understand why this size bike has just gone by the wayside. We have 250s and jump straight to 500s now. The Cb350/4 is one of the coolest bikes ever made. My neighbor had one of these and took me for a ride when I was probably 10 years old and I have been hooked ever since. When he got it up to 60mph I thought we were flying!
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #3017
brokeassloser
I'll do it!!!
 
brokeassloser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver WA
Oddometer: 173
We brought it home today! She grinned the entire ride home. I finally got to take it for a spin and WOW. It's everything a CB should be.

The two of them together with happy momma.

http://
__________________
1200 multistrada- the sleek Italian v-strom!
07 DRZ for tight stuff
73 honda 350 four for lollygagging
brokeassloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #3018
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Southwest Ohio
Oddometer: 269
Congrats . And HAPPY BIRTHDAY
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #3019
svs
All Hands on Deck!
 
svs's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Huntington Beach
Oddometer: 23,881
That's awesome..
__________________
"We came into this world screaming and covered in blood; We ride so we can increase the odds of going out the same way..."
svs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #3020
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Oddometer: 379
LOVE the new CB. JUst wish it had different rims. They look funky to me.
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #3021
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
We have 250s and jump straight to 500s now. The Cb350/4 is one of the coolest bikes ever made.
The problem in general with this class of bikes is that they aren't appreciably cheaper to produce than a 500 or even 650, especially in four-cyl form. Various mfgs have taken runs at small displacement four-cyls over the years (Honda CB-1, Yamaha FZR400, etc.) and they have generally been expensive and poor sellers.

And I don't think the "good old days" were ever as good as we tend to remember. The 350 four was not much of a performer in its day and most of the magazines reported that the 350 twin was actually faster, not that it was a fast bike either. I bought a 400F a decade ago (an improved and faster 350 four) and drove it for five years. It was a fun bike and oozed of nostalgia, but functionally it wasn't even remotely as good a bike as a pedestrian SV650.

Honda could produce a CB350 or CB500 four patterned after the CB1100, but it would only be a grand or two cheaper than the big bike and would be nailed to the showroom floor. Honda is properly attacking the mid-size market with their 500 twins which are priced right and going to be huge sellers.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #3022
jamboa
jamboa
 
jamboa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Central Arkansas
Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeassloser View Post
We brought it home today! She grinned the entire ride home. I finally got to take it for a spin and WOW. It's everything a CB should be.

The two of them together with happy momma.

http://
Just me but the sharper cut CB1100 is thebetter looker!
__________________
04 Triumph 904 Bonneville SE
08 Suzuki GSX1300 BK B King
10 Kawasaki 650 Versys
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #3023
jamboa
jamboa
 
jamboa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Central Arkansas
Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
Ironically, I'm sure I would have chosen the candy red regardless if they also offered us the white or black versions. I have seen photos of the bike in a very dark candy blue that is very attractive as well.
I may have bought two
__________________
04 Triumph 904 Bonneville SE
08 Suzuki GSX1300 BK B King
10 Kawasaki 650 Versys
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #3024
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,550
The CB350 four, while it would not make since today from a financial standpoint, it has styling that blows the new CB1100 all to hell. As nice as the 1100 looks, there is absolutely no contest between it and the older bikes. The '69 CB750KO was one of the worlds best looking motorcycles of all time. I just keep thinking, would it have cost Honda that much to make the 1100 look more like the original?
__________________
2002 Vulcan 750 (now being slowly reassembled) 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
2012 Zuma 125, 1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #3025
rider33
Studly Adventurer
 
rider33's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: The Wilds of Western Wisconsin
Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeassloser View Post
'Nice, 'very nice. Is it just the angle of the photo or is the 350's seat a good deal longer than that of the 1100?
In sitting on the new bike the seat seamed a bit small and looking at the photo makes me think perhaps that's why.
__________________
“many a trip continues long after movement in time and space have ceased”- Steinbeck
rider33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #3026
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The problem in general with this class of bikes is that they aren't appreciably cheaper to produce than a 500 or even 650, especially in four-cyl form. Various mfgs have taken runs at small displacement four-cyls over the years (Honda CB-1, Yamaha FZR400, etc.) and they have generally been expensive and poor sellers.

And I don't think the "good old days" were ever as good as we tend to remember. The 350 four was not much of a performer in its day and most of the magazines reported that the 350 twin was actually faster, not that it was a fast bike either. I bought a 400F a decade ago (an improved and faster 350 four) and drove it for five years. It was a fun bike and oozed of nostalgia, but functionally it wasn't even remotely as good a bike as a pedestrian SV650.

Honda could produce a CB350 or CB500 four patterned after the CB1100, but it would only be a grand or two cheaper than the big bike and would be nailed to the showroom floor. Honda is properly attacking the mid-size market with their 500 twins which are priced right and going to be huge sellers.

- Mark
I agree with everything you said but the 350/4 just has a cool factor about it to me. It was a poor mans 750 back in the day.

Agree with you also on the cb500. Those things are going to offer up a ton of bang for the buck. I bet they fly off the floor.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #3027
cb400four
newbie
 
cb400four's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: former expat in Hong Kong, now Rhode Island & NYC
Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The problem in general with this class of bikes is that they aren't appreciably cheaper to produce than a 500 or even 650, especially in four-cyl form. Various mfgs have taken runs at small displacement four-cyls over the years (Honda CB-1, Yamaha FZR400, etc.) and they have generally been expensive and poor sellers.

And I don't think the "good old days" were ever as good as we tend to remember. The 350 four was not much of a performer in its day and most of the magazines reported that the 350 twin was actually faster, not that it was a fast bike either. I bought a 400F a decade ago (an improved and faster 350 four) and drove it for five years. It was a fun bike and oozed of nostalgia, but functionally it wasn't even remotely as good a bike as a pedestrian SV650.

Honda could produce a CB350 or CB500 four patterned after the CB1100, but it would only be a grand or two cheaper than the big bike and would be nailed to the showroom floor. Honda is properly attacking the mid-size market with their 500 twins which are priced right and going to be huge sellers.

- Mark
Agreed with Mark. I also owned a 400 Four, purchased in 1980 when I was in High School, and I rode that 400 Four everywhere and it never let me down. It looked great, sounded great, handled well, had fantastic ergonomics but it was slower off the line than any of the mid-sized bikes my buddies had.

All the great things about that 400 had are still clear in my mind; however, I've ridden both and I'd rather have my CB1100 at this point in the game (even over a modern reboot of the 400 Four). The pic below is of my 400 Four, probably in 1982, note the poor High School kid's use of duct tape on the seat. The same bike is currently under a tarp waiting for a restoration.

cb400four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #3028
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Southwest Ohio
Oddometer: 269
New record on this tank, 153.6 miles. Went on flashing reserve at 133. Took 2.97 gals for 51.7 mpg. First tank I checked was 48, second tank 50 and third tank almost 52. I have just over 500 miles on the bike now.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #3029
ECN-ROL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ECN-ROL's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 130
I'm doing a Honda demo ride on Friday and the CB1100 will be high on my list for a test ride. I'll be comparing it to my 1982 CB900f which I have owned for 26 years and would never sell, it being such a great bike. Stay tuned for my (un)biased report.
ECN-ROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #3030
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Worcester, Mass
Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The CB350 four, while it would not make since today from a financial standpoint, it has styling that blows the new CB1100 all to hell. As nice as the 1100 looks, there is absolutely no contest between it and the older bikes. The '69 CB750KO was one of the worlds best looking motorcycles of all time. I just keep thinking, would it have cost Honda that much to make the 1100 look more like the original?
You can't go back in time, and you can't have everything.

That said, I respectfully disagree on your observation that the cb1100 looks worse than the older bikes. It looks better. And, it is a better bike.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014