Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #16
manic mechanic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Since it sat for a time period, did you check out if it has a fuel filter that needs replacing. If I remember correctly, there was a filter between the pump and the carbs that sat cross-ways in the frame.
Rounder #6
MOA Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
RA WI Regional Rep, rally camping chair
manic mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #17
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by two40two View Post

[snippage]

Soon after the fuel pump started making a loud 'clacking' noise as it gyrated on its rubber mount. Soon after the engine died on its own accord sounding like it ran out of fuel.

So- I pulled the fuel pump and lines from the good condition parts bike and swapped over the running cbr thinking this would take care of it. Now it doesn't start... I hate to buy a fuel pump when I have an aftermarket that looks very new on the bike now that I want to believe is good. The lines and hose clamps robbed from the parts bike look new, less than two years old if I had to guess.

Possible causes I'm considering for no-start now:
.5 gallon fuel isn't enough in the tank (although it started initially with half that amount in the tank initially.
The fuel pump I took from the parts bike is bad or clogged with old gas..
There is an electrical issue somewhere relating to the fuel system.. pump relay?
I might have the intake/exit lines to pump swapped (I swapped them from what the manual said with no success already.
Brand new fuel filter is already clogged... Highly unlikely

I'm willing to bet if I was to hook up the squeeze bottle directly to the carb again it would start. I'm worn out from watching MotoGP all day @ COTA today and will have to wait to get the old girl running. Any input is greatly appreciated..
Some thoughts off the top of my head (but it's late, and I'm not paying attention to the order in which I'd do any of this testing, so beware):

It seems to me that the fuel pump itself is fairly easy to test: put the output hose into an empty can and hook the pump up to 12V. If gas comes out, you're probably fine. If gas doesn't come out, you've either got a bad pump or plugged hose (perhaps debris from the original pump?). If gas comes out, it's either a plug further down from wherever you disconnected the line, or an electrical issue.

For the electric, first test should be to meter at the pump leads: do you get 12V?