Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #16
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,108
(Dunno where this post went, now try again..)

Just remembered: another good reason to go to South India are boat rides on the inland waterways in Kerala. We took an overnight-trip, just left the bike in the back yard of our previous accommodation in Alleppey, and had a really great time. There are shorter rides available, too, and also route boats, that are like "buses" going all around the network of canals. Really a special area.

About our boat trip here:
http://www.moto1.fi/blog.htm#Alleppey
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #17
Dino de Laurentiis OP
Working on it

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Well, not many motorcycles get transported to Cochin I think. So I hope those friends of yours are experts on temporarily importing motorcycles to India, otherwise you could have a nice, long, nerve-wrecking experience with the customs, before you even get to ride the first meter on Indian soil.....

Oh yeah, and I´d arrange time to visit the Himalayas... frankly I didn´t get to see them very much myself, because I was in the area at the end of November, just simply too cold for any proper mountain rides at that time. But I did have a small peek, even that was awesome, they´re the friggin Himalayas, so nothing compares! Even traffic was a little bit more tolerable in the mountains (but still very bad – and road condition could be just about anything, just 100-200kms is a long long day!!)
The Himalayas would indeed be awesome, but since I'll be leaving India already at the end of February (or maybe a little later, depending), I think it will be way too cold up there.

I'm expecting about a week of frantic scurrying around customs offices, getting stamps, etc etc, to get my bike into the country, so it'll probably take twice that in actual reality...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
(Dunno where this post went, now try again..)

Just remembered: another good reason to go to South India are boat rides on the inland waterways in Kerala. We took an overnight-trip, just left the bike in the back yard of our previous accommodation in Alleppey, and had a really great time. There are shorter rides available, too, and also route boats, that are like "buses" going all around the network of canals. Really a special area.

About our boat trip here:
http://www.moto1.fi/blog.htm#Alleppey
That looks really great! Makes me want to go even more, of course.
Dino de Laurentiis is offline   Reply With Quote