Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
visionary OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
PO must have barely clipped the car. If he had hit it dead center, the forks would be bent badly, and the front wheel would be against the engine. The frame would probably also be bent. The Ninja 250 frame is not that strong, it has no downtubes, the engine is a stressed member. Have you checked for frame/fork damage yet?
The original forks are completely destroyed, The right one shattered the lower and bent the damper rod. The wheel is a write off and the front disk is well and truly warped. The bottom triple is about 5 deg off centre as well
The subframe and swingarm are true and the rest of the frame seems OK tho I haven't jigged it up and checked with a plumb line.
visionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #17
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
PO must have barely clipped the car. If he had hit it dead center, the forks would be bent badly, and the front wheel would be against the engine. The frame would probably also be bent. The Ninja 250 frame is not that strong, it has no downtubes, the engine is a stressed member. Have you checked for frame/fork damage yet?
I was thinking the same thing. In fact, when I looked at the pics I thought I could see that the fork tubes were bent and just assumed he was replacing the fork seals because he was installing new tubes to replace the bent ones. But, obviously, since he has pitted tubes they must not have been bent. Must just be an optical illusion in the pics that make 'em look that way.

Bikes are funny things and crashes can be, well not funny but you know what I mean... That's why I've always been afraid of crashed bikes. Some crash well and some don't. Sometimes what appears to just be cosmetic damage from a mild collision can turn out to have more serious damage than first detected, and some that look like holy hell can just be simple cosmetics. Guess I'm just not much of a gambler though. But, with a bike like this I'd assume he didn't put much in it to begin with so a good thorough inspection probably made it a worthy risk. But, there is always the risk of little niggly things, like the pitted tubes, that can keep adding up to make it less of a bargain...

With that said, for those that know what they're doing and like to tinker, fixing up a wrecked bike can turn out to be a really cheap way to get a nice bike.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #18
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionary View Post
The original forks are completely destroyed, The right one shattered the lower and bent the damper rod. The wheel is a write off and the front disk is well and truly warped. The bottom triple is about 5 deg off centre as well
The subframe and swingarm are true and the rest of the frame seems OK tho I haven't jigged it up and checked with a plumb line.
Oh well, I guess I was premature in my assumptions that I was seeing an optical illusion in the pics...

Bent forks are very common in front end collisions. Unfortunately, so are tweaked steering head areas of the frame. If it impacted hard enough to bend the lower triple tree I'd for sure be concerned about the frame, and even the mounting bosses on the engine maybe being cracked. Personally I'd be afraid of any bike that suffered a hard frontal collision or had flipped. Lowsides that just produce a lot of bodywork and control damage are one thing but with real impacts there's just too much potential for structural damage.

Then when you consider the fact that you can find pre-'08 250s for around two grand, ready to ride...

Then again, if you got it cheap enough and like tinkering...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy

Randy screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 09:41 AM
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #19
visionary OP
Adventurer

Your concern is much appreciated.

I'm a bit of a gambler. It could go right or very wrong - I've done my best to ensure that there are no fractures on the frame and the steering head is true.

I love tinkering around so I'm willing to take the risk

All said and done this bike isn't gonna be a steal but I will have a unique (hopefully) that will be mine own and thats my motivation

Dumbass? probably, but it puts a smile on my face so i'm OK with it

Back to bike news

I've been burnt twice in the past by rusty tanks that "look" OK but really cause you to spend lots of time and some $ on carb rebuilds so this time i'm goin the whole nine yards.

I'm starting with an electrolysis and finishing off with POR 15 Tank sealer. This stuff is great and if done right, will last longer than the bike. Most importantly, unlike Kreem, it doesn't break down when exposed to ethanol.

Step 1: Bake 5ish tablespoons of baking soda for 1 hr at 400F to turn it into washing soda

Step 2: Seal the petcock hole in the tank

Step 3: Make a scrificial anode out of an old piece of steel

Step 4: Mix up a solution of the washing soda in a bucket - Tip: add the soda to the water and stir - if you just dump it in, it just cakes up sits at the bottom

Step 5: Fill the tank with the solution, mount the anode so it's not touching the tank - Tip: Anode is +ve and Cathode (the tank) is -ve

Step 4: Plug in my fancy shmancy battery charger with auto shut off and load tester with the -ve lead going to the tank. This obv does not work because the charger just stays shut off

Step 5: Scratch head and have a beer

Step 6: IDEA: Need DC approx 3-5 amps, have AC at ~110 V - Time to cut up an old laptop charger (3.75A) . Tip: The cable is co-axial with the inner cable being +ve and the outer being -ve. If you strip it carefully you should have no problem separating the 2

Step 7: Tape up the charger to some crocodile clips and plug it in

I had to improvise the connection between the stripped wire from the charger and the connector to the crocodile clips. Didn't want to cut these too since they plug into the fancyshmancy charger

h

This worked like a charm - In just an hour and a half the anode was covered with gunk. Cleaned it off and plugged it back in. I will share some pics tomorrow !

Make sure you do this outside in a well ventilated area since the process produces Hydrogen gas that anybody who has taken High school chemistry should know that it burns with a POP sound and large quantities go bang like the Hindenberg

visionary screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 03:16 PM Reason: Pics Added!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #20
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Your concern is much appreciated.

I'm a bit of a gambler. It could go right or very wrong - I've done my best to ensure that there are no fractures on the frame and the steering head is true.

I love tinkering around so I'm willing to take the risk

All said and done this bike isn't gonna be a steal but I will have a unique (hopefully) that will be mine own and thats my motivation

Dumbass? probably, but it puts a smile on my face so i'm OK with it

Back to bike news

I've been burnt twice in the past by rusty tanks that "look" OK but really cause you to spend lots of time and some $ on carb rebuilds so this time i'm goin the whole nine yards.

I'm starting with an electrolysis and finishing off with POR 15 Tank sealer. This stuff is great and if done right, will last longer than the bike. Most importantly, unlike Kreem, it doesn't break down when exposed to ethanol.

Step 1: Bake 5ish tablespoons of baking soda for 1 hr at 400F to turn it into washing soda

Step 2: Seal the petcock hole in the tank

Step 3: Make a scrificial anode out of an old piece of steel

Step 4: Mix up a solution of the washing soda in a bucket - Tip: add the soda to the water and stir - if you just dump it in, it just cakes up sits at the bottom

Step 5: Fill the tank with the solution, mount the anode so it's not touching the tank - Tip: Anode is +ve and Cathode (the tank) is -ve

Step 4: Plug in my fancy shmancy battery charger with auto shut off and load tester with the -ve lead going to the tank. This obv does not work because the charger just stays shut off

Step 5: Scratch head and have a beer

Step 6: IDEA: Need DC approx 3-5 amps, have AC at ~110 V - Time to cut up an old laptop charger (3.75A) . Tip: The cable is co-axial with the inner cable being +ve and the outer being -ve. If you strip it carefully you should have no problem separating the 2

Step 7: Tape up the charger to some crocodile clips and plug it in

This worked like a charm - In just an hour and a half the anode was covered with gunk. Cleaned it off and plugged it back in. I will share some pics tomorrow !

Make sure you do this outside in a well ventilated area since the process produces Hydrogen gas that anybody who has taken High school chemistry should know that it burns with a POP sound and large quantities go bang like the Hindenberg

I will put some pictures up tomorrow!
Excellent!
Old 04-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
visionary OP
Adventurer

Hey Randy

These are my sentiments exactly !!! "I didn't get a Sportster because I wanted a Harley....I got a Harley because I wanted a Sportster."

I'm not sure why but I really like the sporty! Something about it just begs to be chopped into and cafe-ed! I think it's the loud big ass inefficient motor that does just enough to keep you interested
Old 04-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #22
visionary OP
Adventurer

Bar Clamps are Ready

My friend Beth connected me to her buddy Jason who works at a machine shop.

He turned out to be a great guy who did a bang up job with mounting my bar clamps onto the triple tree.

Basically we enlarged the lower bolt hole from a threaded 6mm to a clearance 12mm

Since the Bar clamp shaft is a 12mm to begin with, we (he) stuck a die on it and viola - Mounts with a lock washer and a M12 stainless steel nut.

I like keeping everything metric on the bike so I don't need to carry random SAE tools

Old 04-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #23
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
These are my sentiments exactly !!! "I didn't get a Sportster because I wanted a Harley....I got a Harley because I wanted a Sportster."

I'm not sure why but I really like the sporty! Something about it just begs to be chopped into and cafe-ed! I think it's the loud big ass inefficient motor that does just enough to keep you interested
Yep, that big sexy engine definitely has an appeal to me.

My interest began with my S1 that I picked up last year

This bike allowed me to see just how much I enjoyed the visceral entertainment that this engine provided. Definitely not the most powerful, efficient, or fastest lug out there, but it sure is fun to ride to me.

Then once I had that in my head, despite my lifelong anti-HD sentiment, an unplanned stop at a HD shop one evening had me lusting after this one that my then GF, now wife, got me for Christmas.

I'm doing a few mods to this one now. Nothing radical. Just improving the brakes, suspension, etc. Custom seat and few other usual types of things.

But it has me itching to buy another one used and do a build project. The Sportster has a lot of potential to turn it into something other than what it starts out as.

Here's just a couple of decent builds that I've seen recently, and that got the ol' wheels spinning.

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25763

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27564

Now, back to work on that 250 tourer!

Randy screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 09:33 AM
Old 04-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #24
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Whoa! That is a ton of crap coming out of the tank! How long was it sitting??
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #25
visionary OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Whoa! That is a ton of crap coming out of the tank! How long was it sitting??
That isn't even half of what was in there. I cleaned the anode 4-5 times and let it run for a good 12 hrs.

it looks like its off a Mid 90's bike so a few yrs for sure :|
Old 04-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #26
visionary OP
Adventurer

This is exactly what I had in mind - You should sell the shiny bits off your 48 or Xtralow or w/e that pretty lil gold bike is and do it !
Old 04-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #27
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
That isn't even half of what was in there. I cleaned the anode 4-5 times and let it run for a good 12 hrs.

it looks like its off a Mid 90's bike so a few yrs for sure :|

Still in awe. Good call on cleaning everything out of there!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #28
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

This is exactly what I had in mind - You should sell the shiny bits off your 48 or Xtralow or w/e that pretty lil gold bike is and do it !
Nah... I'm keeping the 48 fairly well as it came 'cept for longer suspension for better cornering clearance and better compliance. Front brake's already been upgraded to a four pot Nissin caliper, and I have a new, custom built brown leather seat, pipes, intake, etc... But as far as styling goes, I really like it as is. It's about the only cruiser I've ever felt that way about, but it is what it is.

Once I recuperate financially though, I do want to do a Sporty based project. Both of those Burly builds are inspiration. Just not sure which way I'd rather go. Maybe one of each?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #29
visionary OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post

Once I recuperate financially though, I do want to do a Sporty based project. Both of those Burly builds are inspiration. Just not sure which way I'd rather go. Maybe one of each?
rear-sets go a long way for ground clearance

Also I would build the 1st one with street rubber and a longer bench seat for the good lass :)
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #30
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
rear-sets go a long way for ground clearance

Also I would build the 1st one with street rubber and a longer bench seat for the good lass :)
Yeah, if I decide to do a sporty, Sporty it'll have rear-sets for sure. I already swapped out the stock forward controls for mids, but for this particular bike I don't think rear-sets are in the cards for now. But, even still, most rear-sets designed for Sporties aren't really much higher anyway, just more rearward.

Not really sure yet if the wife will be interested in riding with me, but if she does I already have the GS which is pretty good for two-up. But, as far as your suggestion for a bench seat, street rubber and rear-sets, this one is at the top of my inspiration folder... I really love this one!

Geesh! Do I have room in the garage for three more bikes?

All of these are actually fairly straightforward builds.

Sorry to highjack your build thread with all the completely off topic Sportster content...

Randy screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 10:18 PM