ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
It's about half that....from hwy 67 parking area down to Garden of the Gods it's about 55 miles.

For a new-ish rider new to the area, watching for oncoming riders is a biggie.
If you can hit the area on a Friday, all the better.
your right 57.1 mile sis what I got...not sure why I was thinking close to 100...maybe because it feels like it.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Rampart after a rain is the best... I've had many a good day riding there while/after it rains.

I've been riding there consistently for the last 6 years and never had that happen. You have to be aware and know where to ride depending on the day of the week and time. That could happen anywhere.

That is true it can happen anywhere lots of Ricky racers out there forgetting its a public area and not a race course. Better then an ATV and motorcycle. *Edited to say* Funny some of us not that old know and use the word Ricky Racer...LOL

To the OP, I never even rode North Rampart Range and I put around 50,000 dirt miles on the XR650R in 3 years time. the ranger I meet say too many Yahoos out there. So I never had interest I'm all about crowd avoidance. I have done 650, I also did some trail down to 67 (forget the number was dang steep going down) I guess that is part of the North Rampart area. I did Skeleton trail, that is in the middle of nowhere and I get there by way of Rainbow Falls area to 650 and up.

If your learning to ride, do some Jeep trails. Seriously I should not post this but FR300.V & U basically almost across from MT Herman at Rampart Range Rd is nice. I rarely see people back there. Lots of Jeep trails all different skill levels. Heck ride down FR322 to the Palmer Reservoir its a good ride with water at the end to walk around.

I had the luxury for years to ride during the week :-( Not so often now.

modette screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 05:56 PM
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
ilyaon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Thank you all for information. I do appreciate your efforts.

Does any of you knows a beginners groups riding there? I've look on www.meetup.com but didn't find any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
If your learning to ride, do some Jeep trails. Seriously I should not post this but FR300.V & U basically almost across from MT Herman at Rampart Range Rd is nice. I rarely see people back there. Lots of Jeep trails all different skill levels. Heck ride down FR322 to the Palmer Reservoir its a good ride with water at the end to walk around.
modette, thank you for suggestions. Do you know any links where I can download trail maps? Ether digital or for printing.
ilyaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #19
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyaon View Post
Do you know any links where I can download trail maps? Ether digital or for printing.
www.staythetrail.org

If you have an iPhone or iPad download avenza PDF maps from the App Store. You can then download every MVUM(motor vehicle use maps) that the forest service has out and it will work without cell service with GPS functionality to let you know where on the MVUM you are. Works great!

Here's an example. I live within the Pawnee MVUM. The blue dot on the left is me. If you hit the arrow button it will center the map on your location and track with you. You can zoom in and out as you please.

SaharaJp99 screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 08:30 AM
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyaon View Post
Do you know any links where I can download trail maps? Ether digital or for printing.
for information
http://rampartrange.org/

maps
http://staythetrail.org/maps/viewtra...ail_id=77&sv=3
http://www.fs.fed.us/outernet/r2/psi...isting_rds.pdf

take your pick
http://tinyurl.com/cvbjcec
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
janliness
Battery Discharger

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaJp99 View Post
www.staythetrail.org

If you have an iPhone or iPad download avenza PDF maps from the App Store. You can then download every MVUM(motor vehicle use maps) that the forest service has out and it will work without cell service with GPS functionality to let you know where on the MVUM you are. Works great!
Well, that is simply slick! I had no idea the MVUMs were geo-coded. A few months ago I tried to merge the MVUM with Google maps to chart trails but it was just too complicated...and in the end all I wanted was to use the MVUMs on my iPhone, which I use as my GPS when riding (with a handlebar mount).

Thanks for the tip!

BTW, Avenza works so well that when I downloaded the Pikes Peak MVUM (Rainbow Falls) then hit the "find me" arrow it put me on the overview part of the MVUM. I didn't see it at first, but "find me" will use any geo-coded map bit, and the overview *is* geo-coded! So while I wasn't on the main map I was within the overview
janliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by janliness View Post
Well, that is simply slick! I had no idea the MVUMs were geo-coded. A few months ago I tried to merge the MVUM with Google maps to chart trails but it was just too complicated...and in the end all I wanted was to use the MVUMs on my iPhone, which I use as my GPS when riding (with a handlebar mount).

Thanks for the tip!

BTW, Avenza works so well that when I downloaded the Pikes Peak MVUM (Rainbow Falls) then hit the "find me" arrow it put me on the overview part of the MVUM. I didn't see it at first, but "find me" will use any geo-coded map bit, and the overview *is* geo-coded! So while I wasn't on the main map I was within the overview
I can't take credit for it. I was sent this article in an email on the NCTR mailing list. I'm surprised it hasn't been advertised more as I think it is a fantastic tool/service. Here is the article:

Quote:
In Colorado, Smart Phones Make It Easier To Stay The Trail

by Dave Halsey, NOHVCC Contributing Writer and Drew Stoll, Great Outdoor Consulting

NOHVCC has an incredible network of State Partners, Associate State Partners, as well as many long-time, experienced professionals who plan, design and build OHV trails across the U.S. and Canada. They provide us with regular updates on all things OHV-related.

One of those incredibly experienced pros is Drew Stoll, outdoor recreation planner and landscape architect; and owner of Great Outdoors Consultants, Fort Collins, CO. Here is a report from Drew that will be of great interest to anyone with a smart phone who rides or plans to ride the Forest Roads open to off-highway vehicles (OHVs) in Colorado.

The quick and easy translation is that Stay the Trail and Great Outdoor Consultants processed the Forest Service’s Motor Vehicle Use Maps to allow you to interactively use the maps out on the trails with your smart phone. Your phone will be able to tell you where you are on the map, with a small margin of error.

For the rest of you who are more versed in technology, we are leaving the full explanation and process description to Drew (below).

We have processed the U.S. Forest Service’s MVUMs (Motor Vehicle Use Maps) in Colorado to make them smarter. The biggest improvement is that visitors can see their current location on MVUMs on their smart phones.

map of colorado forests Stay the Trail Colorado provides a central webpage where the public, organizations and agencies can download all U.S. Forest Service (USFS) MVUMs for National Forests and Grasslands located in Colorado. These maps are kept up-to-date as the USFS updates their maps. Funding for this effort is provided by Colorado Parks and Wildlife, in the form of grant funding that comes from registration of OHVs in Colorado. Stat the Trail and Great Outdoors Consultants have made the MVUMs "smarter" by making sure they all have geospatial information (the map knows where it's located in the world) and by providing them in multiple formats. The Stay the Trail statewide "OHV Opportunities Map" is also available. Smart MVUMs are provided in the following formats.

Geospatial PDF Files

Some National Forests are publishing pdf versions of MVUMs that are already geospatial, which means that you can see map coordinates in Acrobat Reader using the geospatial location tool (found in the analysis toolbar/ menu). These maps can also be imported into some mapping programs such as Global Mapper. MVUMs that did not have geospatial information were processed to add geospatial information using Global Mapper software.

Geospatial PDFs can also be used on Apple and Android smart phones/tablets using Avenza's free application called PDF Maps. After the MVUM pdf is downloaded on the mobile device, cellular coverage is not needed to use it. This application shows the current GPS location of the rider on the map and allows them to perform some basic GPS recording tasks. The application allows you to show the location of geo-tagged photos you've taken with your mobile device right on the MVUM map. PDF Maps has an online map store that allows users of the app to find MVUMs by name or their current location. This app is being used to distribute free maps for the National Park Service, USGS topo maps, and other free maps. The store also allows for sale of commercial maps such as National Geographic maps. All MVUMs found on the Stay the Trail webpage are now also available through the Avenza map store for free.

Note: The android version of the PDF Maps app is a beta version and is not currently linked to the Avenza map store. Maps can be loaded in the Android version by linking to the Stay the Trail webpage MVUMs, by emailing the PDF file or a link to it.

All Colorado PDF MVUMs: http://staythetrail.org/mvum/index.php
Information about the application: http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps
Search for Colorado MVUMs on your computer - preview only: http://www.pdf-maps.com/get-maps

Google Earth Files

Geospatial PDF MVUM files were imported into Global Mapper software and then clipped to the map frame (excluded the legend). The files were then exported to Google Earth (kmz) files.

These files can be loaded into Google Earth desktop and mobile applications. To load a kmz file on your mobile device, email yourself the appropriate kmz file or a link to the kmz file on the Stay the Trail webpage. Google Earth mobile will show your current location on the MVUMs.

MVUMs in this format allow the user to load adjacent MVUMs and look at them in 3D. Google Earth also allows the user to add other vector data on top of the MVUM such as trails or other data they have. A brief description of the MVUM file and a link to the Stay the Trail webpage are included in the kmz files so the user can access the legend and other information that has been removed from the original MVUMs.

All Colorado Google Earth MVUMs: http://www.staythetrail.org/mvum/kmz/

Geotiff Files

Geospatial MVUM pdf files were imported into Global Mapper software and then clipped to the map frame (excluded the legend). The files were then exported to geotiff (.tif) files. Geotiffs are computer image files that include geospatial information. These files can be loaded into many different GIS/GPS programs such as Arcmap, Global Mapper, Terrasync, Arcpad, etc. They can also be loaded into Avenza PDF Maps mobile application. MVUMs in this format allow the rider to load adjacent MVUMs and look at them side-by-side. GIS programs allow the rider to add other vector data on top of the MVUM such as trails or other data. A brief description of the MVUM file and a link to the Stay the Trail webpage are included as text files so the user can access the legend and other information that has been removed from the original MVUMs.

All Colorado Geotiff MVUMs on one webpage: http://www.staythetrail.org/mvum/geotiff/

For more information on Drew’s company, or to contact him about this information and his various OHV projects, visit his web site: http://www.greatoutdoorsconsultants.com/>
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #23
KilLeR Kawasaki
Marky A

Oddometer: 928
This is awesome. Deserves its own thread if it doesn't already exist. Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaJp99 View Post
I can't take credit for it. I was sent this article in an email on the NCTR mailing list. I'm surprised it hasn't been advertised more as I think it is a fantastic tool/service. Here is the article:
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote