Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #16
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
Should have clarified i am looking for a true upright or sport touring machine.
An R1100GS will also be in your price range. Mechanical abilities a plus

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
True upright or sport touring machine. So this means, no cruisers does it also mean no touring bikes(i.e. Goldwing?).

I've done some research but not nearly enough seat time on good two up bikes, that aren't what I'd call a land yacht. For the most part it's just a matter of how much of a trade off you are willing to make.

Things to also consider though, seats, backrests and peg lowering kits can make a nice difference for a passenger. Look for bikes that have some/all of this sort of thing as it'll save you some coin in the long run. Some bikes it's a non-issue and it depends a lot on what each individual finds comfortable.

I bought an R1100RS because many people found there SO's loved it for 2up riding, some even called the back seat a throne. My wifes back hurt so bad after 25 miles she could barely walk when she got off. I'm sure the suspension was shot, and stock seat, no back rest either.

If you do the leg work, most say the bandit's are cramped for the pillion, shame as the 1250 sits a lot like an fjr1300 and I find it to have good ergo's at least at first impression.

For big ST rigs, in trying to keep with your price range I'd look into a modded ST1100, if you can find an ST1300 in your price range that'd be a hell of a bike. Might find an FJR1300 in your range, I've read a lot of mixed reviews for passenger comfort there too. Connie's are cheap, and fairly similar in ergo's. I've got a Triumph Trophy now(old version) and I could see it being pretty decent 2up but after the R1100rs I've yet to talk her into getting back on a bike.

More upright "non-st" bikes, V-Strom,(650 or 1000) get pretty good marks and actually have a little leg room due in part the there height. Definitely around in your price range too. GS's tend to hold there value and can be expensive for what you get, as much as I like bmw's I'm not sure I'll own another due to maint/repair costs this is something for each person to make up there mind on though. The Triumph Tiger is likely another option in this category, probably others I'm blanking on right now though, triple engine is pretty sweet.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline4 View Post
No one admits the gf weighs 245# + ?

Any takers out there on how big girls like your bike?

I've seen some big girls out there onboard.

(see chubby thread)
Are there any bikes out there that can handle that kind of load? Seriously? If you're Man Sized (200#+) wouldn't a big girl like that put you over the GVWR? I used to ride my 145# Girlfriend on the back of my R1150R and the bike felt sluggish, I couldn't imagine another 100#!!!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
A Yam VFR and a Kawi Concours are good choices too.
It's hard to find more bang for the buck than an old C-10 Connie, they are solid as a rock, very comfy ergs, & whatever you could think to change or improve is available in the secondary market. Third party producers love bikes that stay around for 20+ years largly un changed.

Love the VFR, perfect combo of sport/tour with Honda reliability & fit & finish thrown in for a bonus. I'm not sure that Honda throws them in on the Yam VFR (LOL)

As for what's currently available, the Suzuki FA 1250 inherits the old Connie's mantle of "Most Bang for Buck". I've seen new bike leftovers for under $10.,000! That's amazing for a brand new,fully faired, 1250 cc, I-4, with full warranty.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
A Tiger 955i works great two up so long as the pilot has long legs as it is tall and a bit top heavy and they can be found for about $4K. They were marketed as ADV bikes but I consider mine more of a sport tourer w/ dirt road capability. From what I've heard many do not like the stock seat but I have a Corbin on mine and it is very comfortable for me and my GF...lots of power at all revs and the engine sounds amazing

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,255
You will find out (as we have) that a heavier bike is better for 2-up than a lightweight- up to a certain point (800-900+# is beyond the breaking point, IMHO)

I have taken SWMBO out 2-up on our kid's former 250 Ninja. I am 175, she 125. Hold on tight!

We have been 2-up on BMW R1100S, 1200 Bandit, BMW 800S, an old '81 Honda 900F (our favorite to date), '77 Yamaha XS500D, '92 BMW K100RS, '93 BMW K1100RS, 07 Ducati 800ss, '04 Kawi ZX6R.

Pick out the heavier of the above bikes and you will see which ones were best for us.

IMPORTANT.....many pillion folk REALLY like having a low backrest. The person on the back gets to the destination with more life left in them. Ask my wife.......
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #22
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
Triumph 955i Sprint could work for ya.

Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,143
I'm selling my Concours14. It was designed for 2-up. It's the smoothest, quickest bike I've ever ridden.

And I've owned a KLR!

Fly on out to the left coast, and ride home!

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #24
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wout67 View Post
I'm selling my Concours14. It was designed for 2-up. It's the smoothest, quickest bike I've ever ridden.

And I've owned a KLR!

Fly on out to the left coast, and ride home!

Wout if you have a link to a sale listing beam it to me...
Old 04-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #25
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Damned SV650 is in the shop, the quoted me $500 for a shit ton of carb work. I swear to God I will never own another carbureted bike as long as I live. Yes, I know the Carb'd SV's are supposed to be better. I've got so much money in it now, and the GF is going back to NY for most of the summer, that if the SV looks like it will cooperate for a few months I'll just ride it till August.

I also have a 1982 Sabre V45 that needs carb work. Valves have already been adjusted and it has a new rear tire. If anybody in the area wants a project bike I'll make you a deal.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #26
snakecharmr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Ever thought of a ZRX1200R.. Upright, tons of power, very capable of long distance 2-up.. very decent aftermarket support and a bit different than the rest of the stable!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #27
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakecharmr View Post
Ever thought of a ZRX1200R.. Upright, tons of power, very capable of long distance 2-up.. very decent aftermarket support and a bit different than the rest of the stable!

I will add it to the watch list. I have seen them before. Love the looks and the seating position but they tend to run slightly older and higher than I am comfortable with.

Part of this jouney, I should add, is that I am tired of buying older bikes and then having to fix them (I have the worst luck in bikes of anyone I know) so I'm trying to find something a little newer. May need to save up more cash though. Trying to bide my time and not get stupid.

Did I mention I hate carbs?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #28
snakecharmr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
If you're thinking new, or newer.. Look at the Ninja 1000, not the ZX10R, but the Ninja 1000.. More geared to sport touring, more upright and def a better rider and pillion seat..
Old 04-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocassee View Post
I also have a 1982 Sabre V45 that needs carb work. Valves have already been adjusted and it has a new rear tire. If anybody in the area wants a project bike I'll make you a deal.
I assume you're just down around the lake, right?

Damn you.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #30
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I assume you're just down around the lake, right?

Damn you.
Greenville actually...come down and see me