Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #17221
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunquest View Post
Just got back from Panama on my VFR 2-up and purchased a Tenere on my return and looking for advice on cases knowing the question opens the door for opinion. 45L looks, I think to big as in to wide 35L a good compromise kind of looking at the
TraX 37-liter

Factory cases Look to small and delicate, a deeper case would lower the center of gravity. the 37 can be switched for 45 if needed. On my travel I noticed a fellow rider on a Tenere and asked the question in the last 2 month have you found anything you needed and dont have with you he replied" no dont think so " my answer " then I think you brought to much " TKS for any links or OP's D.C.
Muffintop Industries is a small shop in South Dakota with great prices and the boxes are brick outhouse tough. You can get as small or big as you want if you don't like his stock offerings.
http://muffintopindustries.com/

I mounted mine on SW-Motech detacheable racks with fender washers and fiber lock nuts.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #17222
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontiercat View Post
A fellow rider on the Super Ten pic page built one out of flat steel or aluminum plates against the side of the windscreen uprights. Looked very nice and factory.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=4505
That would be perfect! He should make those and sell them!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #17223
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
I made mine for nothing and it's not hard if you can cut plastic and make 2 bends in it.

Flat piece of plastic, bent into a Z-shape. The forward downflange fits between the instrument pod and the mount. The pod is mounted with (I think) 3 sheetmetal-type screws so the downflange needs to have holes for the mounts and the electrical connector.

I've got a Touratech cradle and a 478 so I really need that bar to mount it to.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #17224
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,935
here's a picture of the rear end of mine. These are different sized Micatech bags, and a Trax top box. The panniers are sized so that the bike is equal width out from each side. The left pannier is 8.5" wide, the right pannier is 10.5" wide, and all mounted up, the bike is just under 40" wide.

btw, The Micatechs are very well built, and clearly a heavier grade of aluminum than the Trax bags I have on my WeeStrom. That having been said, I love the Trax bags. I'm still getting used to the Micatechs, but so far, I'm favorably impressed....

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #17225
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo View Post
I've got a Touratech cradle and a 478 so I really need that bar to mount it to.
I went the KLR approach. Two pieces of angle with the rod welded betweeen them.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #17226
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
Soooo, I've had the Tenere for a couple of weeks now, and put about 1500 miles on it, and...

1st. I'd like to thank Jim (aka Japaco) for farkleing the bike so well, that I can scarcely think of anything to do to it.

2nd. I was planning on keeping the WeeStrom until I was sure the Tenere would satisfy me enough that I wouldn't want to keep the Wee. I haven't even started it since getting the S10 , I haven't ridden it, have no desire to, and will clean it and put it up for sale this weekend.

3rd. WOW what a fantastic bike! Power is fantastic. Japako had done the reflash, installed the clutch override switch, arrow headers, and a Leo Vince can, and other than a surge occasionaly, it runs like a striped ass ape! I do have a little concern about the spokes on the front wheel, although I haven't had time to check them all. I get a little wobble once in a while when cornering aggressively. Is that spokes? Or is there something else I should be looking at?

4th. Good lord, did they underspring the rear of this thing, or what! I weigh 200, and when my wife and I went to the Hill country, even full preload was nowhere near enough. This will have to go to the top of the "to do" list

5th. It sure doesn't feel like it weighs 500 lbs! It's got Micatech bags, and I added a Trax top box, Givi engine guards, and cool custom highway pegs. Madstad bracket with cross bar for GPS mount! Fully loaded and two up, I never once felt anything but total contril, even in the slow, parking lot, u-turn type stuff, and even the dirt roads don't seem threatening.

In conclusion, if you don't have a Super Tenere yet, you don't know what you're missing................
Good to hear from yet another satisfied rider... but 'under sprung' after adding 200lb self and wife. Haha! Tell me you're kidding. :p

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #17227
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

I picked up an MSR mount on the cheap that basically sits in the same place. I really want to put it up over the gages, though. This'll do for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I went the KLR approach. Two pieces of angle with the rod welded betweeen them.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #17228
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Hey California,

You are right, you got a Japako farkled bike. It was meticulously thought out.
But I don't think the seller, my friend, was a 2-up guy. So the suspension wasn't nearly as inadequate for him.

I too do a healthy amount of 2-up. (loaded like a pack mule) She was "fair" at first, with brand new suspenders. But with 24K on the clock, she is squatting bad now, regardless of preload.

But, since you got a great $$$$ deal for your Tenere, you should feel much better about throwing a few bucks at the ONLY thing left to do to yours.

A nice new rear shock, and at least a set of single rate springs for the forks.

Glad to hear you realize what you got.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #17229
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,448
Looks like it is time to get to know my new bike

It's like christmas around here, parts are starting to show up.
New K60's, Altrider crash bars, side stand foot, heated grips, fender extender.
I still have a set of Jesse bags and a madstad bracket on order..

PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #17230
sunquest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thanks for all the input it really helps and is appreciated TraX 37-liter with 45 on right looks like the ticket now for the best price.
fredz43 your crash bars? BRAND?
Thanks to all great help D.C.
sunquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #17231
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunquest View Post
Thanks for all the input it really helps and is appreciated TraX 37-liter with 45 on right looks like the ticket now for the best price.
fredz43 your crash bars? BRAND?
Thanks to all great help D.C.
Those are SW Motec crash bars.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #17232
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
The Holans are very good looking, well made bags also. As far as lane splitting, the ends of the OEM bars are about 38 inches wide, so if they will fit, most bags will fit. Here is a front view of the 37/47 Trax combo from the front, as the angle of the rear shot that I posted makes them look wider than they are.
They are pretty much the same coin and width for the 37/45 combo, really boils down to personal preference and I just like the tight azz look of the Holan 38s. At 35" wide, it makes it that much easier to weave around cars like I have to do sometimes in bad traffic jams.

twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #17233
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
Soooo, I've had the Tenere for a couple of weeks now, and put about 1500 miles on it, and...

1st. I'd like to thank Jim (aka Japaco) for farkleing the bike so well, that I can scarcely think of anything to do to it.

2nd. I was planning on keeping the WeeStrom until I was sure the Tenere would satisfy me enough that I wouldn't want to keep the Wee. I haven't even started it since getting the S10 , I haven't ridden it, have no desire to, and will clean it and put it up for sale this weekend.

3rd. WOW what a fantastic bike! Power is fantastic. Japako had done the reflash, installed the clutch override switch, arrow headers, and a Leo Vince can, and other than a surge occasionaly, it runs like a striped ass ape! I do have a little concern about the spokes on the front wheel, although I haven't had time to check them all. I get a little wobble once in a while when cornering aggressively. Is that spokes? Or is there something else I should be looking at?

4th. Good lord, did they underspring the rear of this thing, or what! I weigh 200, and when my wife and I went to the Hill country, even full preload was nowhere near enough. This will have to go to the top of the "to do" list

5th. It sure doesn't feel like it weighs 500 lbs! It's got Micatech bags, and I added a Trax top box, Givi engine guards, and cool custom highway pegs. Madstad bracket with cross bar for GPS mount! Fully loaded and two up, I never once felt anything but total contril, even in the slow, parking lot, u-turn type stuff, and even the dirt roads don't seem threatening.

In conclusion, if you don't have a Super Tenere yet, you don't know what you're missing................
I'm glad to hear you really like the bike. I'm sure you will have a great time riding the old girl.
About the wobble, I had that pop up when I was riding in MO and after I lowered the psi the wobbles went away. I had it around 32 psi.

With you and your wife, plus a good load, I'm sure the things have changed. You might need to reset the suspenders to suit the load.
Be sure to reset the sag.
As mentioned already, I would change the spring rate in the front and rear. I never road two up, so these problems never came up.
Jim
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #17234
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsnowball View Post
Where are you at
I just added my Blog link to the bottom of my sig. I warn you, it is aimed at keeping the mother in law from re-calling the wife so it is written tame-ish. As lovely as she is, she still worries about her little girl who recently retired from 30 years in the police !!!

Having said that if you sign up you can abuse us on-line. It will help keep our interest up, in publishing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Looking at his bike he could be in two States at the same time.
Oi !.... I resemble that remark.

So far, New York, Newport, Rhode Island, Boston - we were just across the river when the officer was murdered. It effects us deeply considering our previous occupation and the fact that I too have been shot by terrorists, but I was lucky.
Then it was Salem and now we are headed up towards Vermont.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #17235
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Oi !.... I resemble that remark.

So far, New York, Newport, Rhode Island, Boston - we were just across the river when the officer was murdered. It effects us deeply considering our previous occupation and the fact that I too have been shot by terrorists, but I was lucky.
Then it was Salem and now we are headed up towards Vermont.
Just as a heads up. It's open season for large slow moving blue vehicles in the States right now.
I believe there is even a bounty for Brit flags.

Ride safe!
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote