ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #16876
slickwill
Exhiled
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 209
Riveted on my DID. I have a clip on my XR100 but speeds are much lower and the penalties for a failure are much lower.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #16877
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: San jose ca
Oddometer: 149
How in the hell did this happen to my chain? http://i.imgur.com/SVTHQ1h.jpg

I am so glad it did not break on me. I wonder if the chain has been like this since I bought the bike and I didn't notice....

What would you guys recommend for me as a replacement? I was thinking an RK or DID chain. I have SM wheels with I think a 15t front and like 44t rear sprocket. I will be replacing those as well. Which brand do you guys like?

Also are there any "while I am in there" parts I should get?

medisyn screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 07:51 AM
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #16878
bigtrailie
Rough idle
 
bigtrailie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jackson, MI
Oddometer: 687
Magnesium repair???

I managed to punch a small (1/8") dent into the very bottom of my clutch cover. This dent is allowing a fine mist of oil to leak out when the bike is running. Anyone tried a sure-fire way of fixing this (i.e. J-B weld)? I'm wondering if it could be tig welded - but for some reason, welders I've spoken with seem to be warry of the magnesium material this is cast from.
__________________
Need my knees in the breeze through the trees.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #16879
FlyGuy
MachineHead
 
FlyGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Middle of Highway 1 California
Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
I managed to punch a small (1/8") dent into the very bottom of my clutch cover. This dent is allowing a fine mist of oil to leak out when the bike is running. Anyone tried a sure-fire way of fixing this (i.e. J-B weld)? I'm wondering if it could be tig welded - but for some reason, welders I've spoken with seem to be warry of the magnesium material this is cast from.
Magnesium is easy to weld, A magnesium rod is used, Clean and carbide clear the weld area then weld.
clean with a clean stainless brush if a re-pass is necessary.
You don't need structure just a fill, Magnesium is very porous and a good paint coat can help that.
Painting magnesium is a different subject so ill spare you the details.

If you go the JB route cook your cover to 250 degrees after around 15 minutes remove from oven then upon cooling through the 140 range apply epoxy it will get very runny but re apply to fill after it cools more

magnesium will hold moisture and you need to cook it out or you will get weak adhesion
Hope that helps
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #16880
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
How in the hell did this happen to my chain? http://i.imgur.com/SVTHQ1h.jpg

I am so glad it did not break on me. I wonder if the chain has been like this since I bought the bike and I didn't notice....

What would you guys recommend for me as a replacement? I was thinking an RK or DID chain. I have SM wheels with I think a 15t front and like 44t rear sprocket. I will be replacing those as well. Which brand do you guys like?

Also are there any "while I am in there" parts I should get?

I really cannot believe that did not cost you a crank case. Crazy stuff.

Which chain is that?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #16881
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Out in the NM Dez somewhere
Oddometer: 6,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
Riveted on my DID. I have a clip on my XR100 but speeds are much lower and the penalties for a failure are much lower.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I've had a clip link on the 650 for about 7K of hard riding, it held up fine. I'm no fan of one type or another, the chain came with that link so I used it. I've had it apart a few times also.

The rivited type is definately more secure, given a choice I'd pick that type if it came with the chain I was buying. Ya gotta remember, dirtbikes never had riveted ML for many years, it never stopped anyone from riding the hell out of 'em.
__________________
Chris
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
CL Adventure Ride 2013 /CL Revisited 2014 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / MY VIDEOS / RIDEFREAK TV
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #16882
Sean-0
straya carnt
 
Sean-0's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Mumblebum Northern NSW
Oddometer: 4,463
the ol girl copped a flogging today

Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #16883
1bigrn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 223
how to mount rifle to xr

Big game season is a long way away. But I need to start making plans now.
I need to mount a long-gun to my xr650r for travel down fire roads and some open dirt trails.
Any ideas? Anyone find a solution?
1bigrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #16884
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: San jose ca
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I really cannot believe that did not cost you a crank case. Crazy stuff.

Which chain is that?
I cant remember, I would check but I am in europe for 3 months. It was a japanese name brand. It may have been D.I.D.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #16885
LVCJT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LVCJT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Sin City Baby
Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigrn View Post
Big game season is a long way away. But I need to start making plans now.
I need to mount a long-gun to my xr650r for travel down fire roads and some open dirt trails.
Any ideas? Anyone find a solution?
Find yourself a saddle scabbard and mount it on the airbox side of the bike.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
LVCJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #16886
EduardoMas
Spartan Overlander
 
EduardoMas's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Of No Fixed Address
Oddometer: 429
Straightening the rear fender on an XR650R

Straightening the rear fender on an XR650R

All XRRs have the rear fender tilted to the left and mine was no exception.
While the XRR is an all purpose, no bling ride, the crooked fender just looks a tad… abandoned.

With a “C” clamp, I straightened the fender and further tilted it to the right by lifting towards the rear rack. (wish I could post pics). I placed a 1500 watt room fan heater on top of the rear wheel, blasting up at the fender. I also heated the stressed areas around and in between the mounting screws with a heat gun.
After about 20 minutes the fender was sprayed with cold water and when the clamp was removed the fender stayed bent a touch to the right, but way straighter than before.

The straight fender just makes the whole bike look a lot better… you know, for a dirt bike.

Just sharing…
__________________
Eduardo
XR650R
KTM300


Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
EduardoMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #16887
hontri
Global Bummer!
 
hontri's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Summerland B.C.
Oddometer: 305
Finally! the snow receded enough to let me get to one of my favorite fishing lakes. no fish but good ride.

hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #16888
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigrn View Post
Big game season is a long way away. But I need to start making plans now.
I need to mount a long-gun to my xr650r for travel down fire roads and some open dirt trails.
Any ideas? Anyone find a solution?

Try a heavy duty tripod head built for 40-60lb cameras mounted to the bars with a M249 SAW and about 200 rounds of ammo. That should work.

You might be able to get a MK19 on there, but they are pretty bulky and you wouldn't be able to carry much ammo.

If you really want trick, get that eyeball tracking aiming system used in Apaches so you shoot everything you look at.

2.5" rockets can be nice in a target rich environment.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #16889
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri View Post
Finally! the snow receded enough to let me get to one of my favorite fishing lakes. no fish but good ride.

Damn!

This was my day yesterday!



Looks like prime riding out there in Summerland!

We're doing Koocanusa in two weeks. That's about as good as it gets around here. Whoops... Lots of whoops...
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #16890
LVCJT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LVCJT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Sin City Baby
Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Try a heavy duty tripod head built for 40-60lb cameras mounted to the bars with a M249 SAW and about 200 rounds of ammo. That should work.

You might be able to get a MK19 on there, but they are pretty bulky and you wouldn't be able to carry much ammo.

If you really want trick, get that eyeball tracking aiming system used in Apaches so you shoot everything you look at.

2.5" rockets can be nice in a target rich environment.
Wonderful critic of a fellow inmates choices. ghead:

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
LVCJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015