Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #241
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Are your bikes in the VIN range for the gear selector return spring bulletin: 46334 to 514871?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #242
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
This is not an issue on my bike, the internals came apart. Im don't have the whole story yet and they are being rather secretive at this point. Im certain they will come through in the end.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #243
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Ouch. That'll be interesting ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #244
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I change my oil every 2000mi (though I may go to 3k w/ the Tiger's 6k interval and synthetic oil).
I know there are a million oil threads but for some reason when people do this, it drives me nuts. I just don't understand why you would change your oil every 2,000 miles. I have a friend who does this and he swears that it makes his bikes last longer. But, how do you know they wouldn't last that long anyway. The money you can save changing the oil 6,000 miles (I push my oil because Amsoil guarantees it, so I will go 10,000 plus depending on how I've ridden), if indeed the motor doesn't last as long, I could replace the motor and probably still save more money than changing the oil every 2,000 miles. You have changed your oil about 4 times before I've changed mine once. Let's just say a synthetic oil change is $60 including the filter. Every 50,000 miles I spend $300. Every 50,000 miles you spend $1,500. Wowzer! And for what? Absolutely nothing.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #245
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Was told today that once my bike is back, Triumph is going to extend the warranty for the period it was down. They also shave two weeks off the expected parts delivery. So far great service from Triumph.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #246
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I know there are a million oil threads but for some reason when people do this, it drives me nuts. I just don't understand why you would change your oil every 2,000 miles. I have a friend who does this and he swears that it makes his bikes last longer. But, how do you know they wouldn't last that long anyway. The money you can save changing the oil 6,000 miles (I push my oil because Amsoil guarantees it, so I will go 10,000 plus depending on how I've ridden), if indeed the motor doesn't last as long, I could replace the motor and probably still save more money than changing the oil every 2,000 miles. You have changed your oil about 4 times before I've changed mine once. Let's just say a synthetic oil change is $60 including the filter. Every 50,000 miles I spend $300. Every 50,000 miles you spend $1,500. Wowzer! And for what? Absolutely nothing.
You would have liked BMW's lifetime fill rear differentials, on the 2005+ boxers...

Oil's cheap, motors aren't.
Each to their own.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #247
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 322
For sure to each his own. However the previous poster has a point. Oil and engine filtration over the last 20 years or more has improved dramatically. The old days of 1000 mile oil changes is not only a waste of money but can't be good for the environment. If the manufacturer tells you 8k miles between oil changes (gold wing) then I would have to say you are safe going that distance. Just saying.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #248
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,128
Laugh Awesome oil thread !

3000 kilometer synthetic oil changes personally,
and I'll NEVER adopt automotive duration oil changes,
regardless what a manufactuer yip yaps about.

But despite not giving a rat's ass about electric motorcycles and the such,
I don't dispose of my oil in old growth forests either...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #249
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I just don't understand why you would change your oil every 2,000 miles.
Why don't you just go ahead and question everyone's religious beliefs. Oh, wait ... you just did.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #250
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,747
Well, I went by the dealer today and they replaced the turn signal stalks per the TSB. In and out within an hour, and most of that I was having lunch next door, so no sweat. Left thinking I wouldn't need to be back in while.

Not so fast! On my way home tonight I stop to fill up the bike. I go to put the nozzle in the tank, and as I'm struggling with the stupid corrugated nozzle condom, I hear a pop and the nozzle drops about an inch...

Managed to fish out a small red plastic cap(?) that was sitting on the edge of the lip, but not really sure what to do with the rest of the assembly that's now down in the tank. There's some wire in there (blue wire on the left as visible in the pic), which I'm guessing is part of the fuel gauge? Whatever it is, I have my doubts it's now working properly...
lmychajluk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #251
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Tiger 800 - enough with squealing!

I've tried a few different sports cam options on my bike and the sound has always been the weak link. All I can hear is the infernal squeal - I suppose it must be cam gear?

I've lashed out and bought a Drift Ghost with an external mike to try and get around this problem. The only place I can put it where I pick up a little bit of "normal" engine and exhaust is in my helmet, but even then it is mostly still squeal.

I'll try right out the back next, but I'm hoping to get some tips on things that have worked for others.

cheers
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #252
T

Oddometer: 5,143
I've had a couple Tigers and I really did/do like them, but it's all these niggling little "gotta get the dealer involved" problems that will keep me from ever loving them.

Come on Triumph, get your shit together- you can do better.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #253
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Well, I went by the dealer today and they replaced the turn signal stalks per the TSB. In and out within an hour, and most of that I was having lunch next door, so no sweat. Left thinking I wouldn't need to be back in while.

Not so fast! On my way home tonight I stop to fill up the bike. I go to put the nozzle in the tank, and as I'm struggling with the stupid corrugated nozzle condom, I hear a pop and the nozzle drops about an inch...

Managed to fish out a small red plastic cap(?) that was sitting on the edge of the lip, but not really sure what to do with the rest of the assembly that's now down in the tank. There's some wire in there (blue wire on the left as visible in the pic), which I'm guessing is part of the fuel gauge? Whatever it is, I have my doubts it's now working properly...
Same thing happened to me. The dealer said they've never seen it before, so they contacted Triumph NA. Supposedly, they told the dealer they'd never heard of such a thing. Whatever. The dealer replaced mine under warranty, after I got a little attitude about not needing the part anyway. Of course, with no talk about the parts inside the tank looking to get sucked into the fuel pump inlet.

There is more to the story about the dealer, which is proving to be a bunch of Ass clowns!!!!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #254
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Same thing happened to me. The dealer said they've never seen it before, so they contacted Triumph NA. Supposedly, they told the dealer they'd never heard of such a thing. Whatever. The dealer replaced mine under warranty, after I got a little attitude about not needing the part anyway. Of course, with no talk about the parts inside the tank looking to get sucked into the fuel pump inlet.

There is more to the story about the dealer, which is proving to be a bunch of Ass clowns!!!!
Sm HD maybe?
Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #255
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Sm HD maybe?
Yup. And now they are HD, Triumph, Kawasaki, Honda, and have an unused Yamaha contract.