User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
Ride-DR OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Shortest five day ride ever

Sooo our idea was to go ride a 5 day loop from Henderson NV to the Grand Canyon. The ride started at 5AM on the 10th and we rode to Mesquite via North-shore rd then the I-15. This went easy and kinda boring as pave riding goes for most of us.

Then we finally hit the dirt south of Mesquite going over the Black Rock Mountains. The trail was very nice double track nothing crazy just nice, then we see one of those famous signs

We continue on with no problems as we climb in elevation. When we get to 6000ft we run into some snow, we have rode in snow before and this was no big deal. It was maybe 3 inches in the deepest parts,

Has we get to 7000ft the snow was disappearing which we did find weird but oh well lets keep going. Yes as you have guessed the tracks have turned to mud. Out of the two of us I was the first to go down, look very closely to the rims.

Of course John being the great friend that he is joined me in the dirt
We pick the bikes up and continue on. I would say we rode in the what I am now calling Devils Clay for a mile or so. We both have introduced the DRs to the mud several times before we stopped and took a break.
Note the front rims and then Johns here is a pic of the trail

Like the front rim, the rear rim joined in on collecting at much as the Devils clay as it could possible hold. With the rims packed and I do mean PACKED! we could hardly hold the bikes up. After spending a lot energy trying to keep the bikes upright and maybe traveling half a mile in a hours time we took a break. It was at this time I started pulling the Devil clay off the rims a hand full at a time and I swear each hand full was five pounds. (sorry no pics). John asked me why I was even bothering to pull of the clay as he said it would just get packed back on. I informed him "this cannot be good for the clutch." John just accepts my answer with out a thought of doing the same to his. As irony would have it, after I pull of what felt like a couple hundred pound in clay we started again. We got maybe a quarter mile and Johns DR just comes to a stop. He looks over at me and asks "is my wheel just spinning" I say no. That is when we realize that his clutch is shot. We try to adjust the cable but of course this does nothing. So at this point we are trying to push it out of the water/mud-hole that it was sitting in but could not get her moving. We started to contemplate oh we were going to get the old DR back home, but thought that nothing would be able to get to us until the mud dried. Then like Knights in shining armor, the knights being some really nice old timers and the armor was a couple of Jeeps came rolling up behind us like they were taking a stroll in the park. John hooks his DR to the jeep and they start to tow. I was able to unload all the gear off my bike and put it into the jeep. Cheating maybe but I was able to ride the DR out of that crap, which turned out to be maybe half a mile before the ground went back to nice and dry.

If you look closely you can see the John saving tow rope lol
Now on the dry stuff we look over Johns bike and reluctantly agree his bike is done. So I choose to head at it solo and off I went has the nice Jeepers tow John into St. George. The next couple of hours went beautifully and 10 hours after we started I finally got to Bar 10. Here was my camp for the night and the view I had. the picture does that no justice. Want to give a shout out to Ben and the staff at Bar 10 you guys awesome. If you have never been to Bar 10 GO. OK so the next day I take off at 8am and head towards Toroweap Overlook. I start going over Mt. Trumbull but was a little worried because I was going to his an elevation of 7800ft and did not want to deal with that Devil clay again, but has fate would have it the ride was great and a few hours later I arrived at the overlook
This is where it all ends for me, because as I am heading out of Toroweap my clutch starts slipping every time I hit the throttle. So I make an adjustment to the cable and get her to grab under low throttle and start a really really long ride from Toroweap to Colorado City to the I-15 back to Henderson totaling 240 miles. So a five day ride and we were done in two days lol but I do have to say we did get some good expertise from this trip.
Ride-DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Nice RR. Definitely made the best of the situation.

Just rode to Toroweap the easy way -- no mud. Details in sig line.

Keep posting.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Yea, that is mud. I have never seen such a collection in the spokes. Good story.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Nice report and pix....
Old 04-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 999
It's still a victory.
Good ride and pictures too.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Ride-DR OP
Adventurer

Just ordered the clutch for my bike and we disassembled Johns bike and found that the first clutch plate has shattered, but did not appear to have damaged any internal gearing. He has ordered his as well and we will be back at it soon. The damage to my bike was the clutch of course, broken hand guards (plastic), broken exhaust flange, and the rear tire went flat about a mile from my house lol. Would we do it again OF COURSE WE WOULD!
Old 04-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Ride-DR OP
Adventurer

Looks like we will be doing the Core Bar 10 ride in May. The route is going to be the same so redemption is at hand.