Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Just a quick aside and nothing to do with our Australian adventures particularly but I am aware that many believe that Australia has the best beaches in the world. It's true that we have some beautiful stretches of golden sand here and the weather to make the most of them, but look at these crackers and have a guess where they are:

Well, I imagine some of you may be surprised to learn they are on the west coast of the Isle of Lewis in Scotland. My wee cousin sent them to me. He said it was only about 6 degrees that day so a bit chilly but great pics nonetheless. Nice bike too Calum!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not been out much over the last couple of weeks unfortunately but with a bit of luck Brian and I should get out and about this weekend. The weather has been unusually warm for this time of year but does make for pleasant riding. I've been using the KLR to commute to and from work in an effort to get her to her first service. Only 300kms to go and she'll be good to open up finally. Getting her de-restricted at the same time so that should give her a little more oomph. Hoping to head out to Wave Rock for a run with some others around the end of May, camp for the night and back the following morning. A good excuse to light a camp fire, drink beer and tell lies! I'll be taking weeStrom on that run I think as she definitely has more oomph than Big K, and she is much more comfortable for longer runs. She has also been looking a little neglected in the garage since the arrival of the KLR. Something to look forward to in the next few weeks!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Is today the day we finally get out again? I hope so. Weather been dicey this last week. Threatening to rain which isn't good for us fair weather riders!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
Matt 82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
It's been sunny here, mate!

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #20
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 82 View Post
It's been sunny here, mate!
Ha ha. Typical. Did you see the pics I posted from my cousins ride up on Lewis a couple of weeks ago? Looked like a great day but he said it was around 6 degrees!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #21
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A quick solo ride today. Brian was off on a Z1 ride so off I went for a wee blast on Big K. First time out with the new free adventure pack fitted, minus the long screen. I'll fit that after the 1k service is done. Left work a little earlier and headed off down through Halls Head following the coast:

The Indian Ocean was flat calm today:

If you look really closely you can see East Africa on the horizon:

Then I wandered down to the estuary which was also flat calm:

A phone call from Brian later and I headed up to Dwellingup on the off-chance to see if I could catch up with them. I would have gone home but realised I didn't have any house keys and Mrs Muz was out getting her hair done, which is not a quick process! So, up the hill I went still limited to 4000 rpm and a top speed of 90kph- I am so looking forward to getting this first service done!
Anyway, got to the Blue Wren and met a bloke on a BMW of some kind who came over to chat about the KLR. I think he saw me struggling to get off the thing and felt sorry for me being on my own. We exchanged pleasantries as you do and he headed off into the distance. Nice fella, but he was much shorter than me so I doubt he would enjoy the trials of mounting and dismounting Big K.
I had a quick look to see if Brian was in but couldn't spot any shiny heads inside. I checked the parking area and lo and behold 2 nice sparkly 1970s Kawasakis. I went in and found Brian and Ross ( another Z1 master) sitting under a tree at the back of the cafe.
Coffee and pie ordered I joined them for a bit of chat, and then we headed back down the hill via North Spur Road, me following rigidly sticking to my 4000rpm limit- Grrrrr! Never mind. A great run and the weather was fantastic. It's always more comfortable when it cools down a little. I think 2 weeks and I'll be free of the running in shackles. Can't wait!
Oh, I was talking crap about being able to see Africa. It's thousands of miles away Ffs, but if you fell in the water here and the current took you due west, and if you managed to avoid being eaten by sharks eventually you would end up there.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #22
exile730
exile730

Oddometer: 67
quick spin with the boys 5 May 2013

Rod was on other duties so a quick spin with the 70's Jap crew

cool old DR in Dwellingup

usual R1200GS was sighted

the Goldwing boys were out in force

a quick photo stop on the way home

a good quick ride and a bit cooler than usual. My thermal lining is going back in for sure.

Roll on summer days!
Old 05-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #23
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I put the lining back in last week! Wish I'd been there mate. Looked like a good day out and I bet the Blue Wren sold many pies! Those Goldwings look very comfortable!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #24
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Rain is here and it's making me sad. I really want to ride my bike!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #25
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well it's pissing down today and big ride planned for tomorrow. Hmmmm! Another day scuppered by the weather perhaps?
Old 05-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #26
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Weather improving. Ride could be a goer! Here's hoping!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #27
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Skies clear, although its pretty cold and there is a bit of frost this morning. Ride is on I think.

Our destination:

Cape Leeuwin, the south west tip of Australia, where the Indian and Great Southern Oceans meet! Should be about 4 hours each way with lots of interesting stuff in between. Just the job for Wee I reckon.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Augusta/Cape Leeuwin 31 May 2013

Well, the last day of Autunm arrived and it didn't disappoint. Leaving home at 8.00 am after packing the kids off to school, it was bloody freezing. Approx 2 degrees Celsius and not fair weathered biker compatible at all. I headed over to Brian's house full of excitement as I hadn't been on a decent run for quite some time due to weather and family commitments, mainly my son's soccer matches every Sunday morning. However, a work free day and it was on. Wee sounded great after her recent oil change and looked resplendent with her new led front indicators.

About 20 mins later I arrived at Brian's, frozen! I couldn't feel my fingers even though I was wearing 2 pairs of gloves. Luckily for me Brian has a very lovely considerate wife who made me a nice hot cuppa and provided a heat pack to warm my frozen digits.

The sun was starting to come up so I left my gloves in full sun in an attempt to warm them up prior to setting off. It seemed to work, and luckily the temperature rises quite quickly here when the sun rises so the run down to Busselton was quite pleasant. We made good time and when we reached it was just the right time for coffee and cake at the foreshore.

The main attraction at Busselton is the jetty which stretches out almost 2km into the sea. It's very impressive but a long walk out to the end which we unfortunately didn't have time to complete:

photo DSCF0228_zpsf61cc957.jpg

photo DSCF0225_zpsa3e414a6.jpg

Busselton is a popular holiday destination in Western Australia, mainly due to it's shallow water and stunning beaches:

photo DSCF0226_zps9190ede5.jpg

photo DSCF0230_zpsd9829136.jpg

The regulation pic of the bikes:

photo DSCF0231_zps6e3af3b4.jpg

Then it was off to Yallingup which is a popular surfing spot as it has bigger waves than the sheltered beaches of Busselton and other spots in Geographe Bay. Yallingup is stunning but quite windswept.

The road down to Yalingup:

photo DSCF0234_zpseafc09e6.jpg

Yallingup townsite:

photo DSCF0239_zpsc879f3b9.jpg

Crazy surfers, there are lots of Great White Sharks out there and this area is well known for shark attacks:

photo DSCF0237_zps4c7e92b2.jpg

photo DSCF0238_zpsbbd67774.jpg

The bay at Yallingup:

photo DSCF0240_zps2ab06b50.jpg

The bikes again:

photo DSCF0242_zps745f4630.jpg

Smith's Beach, Yallingup:

photo DSCF0245_zps5bbd90be.jpg

Brian having just figured out his battery was dead:

photo DSCF0247_zpsbbcf60cf.jpg

No time for coffee here as we wanted to get to Cape Leeuwin so a push start for Brian and off we went down Caves Road and the hundred or so kms to Augusta. A great run although we got a little bit of rain on this leg.

A quick bite to eat at Augusta which is the town at the South West tip of this great country. Pepper steak pie for me and bacon sarnie and chicken pie for Brian (he's a growing lad!). Unfortunately for him he found a rather large bone in his pie which is never a good thing, so if you ever got to the Augusta bakery beware the chicken pies! My steak and pepper was great!

On to Cape Leeuwin which is only about 5 kms out of the town:

Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse:

photo DSCF0251_zps3fdac86e.jpg

The south coast of Australia. Next stop Antarctica:

photo DSCF0252_zps4109953b.jpg

The west coast of Australia. Next stop Africa:

photo DSCF0250_zpsd2c411ef.jpg

photo DSCF0255_zpsf6ad03b0.jpg

photo DSCF0254_zpsf23bfe0c.jpg

Brian freezing his b*ll*cks off at the south west tip of Oz:

photo DSCF0253_zps26cc379d.jpg

Then it was off home. No stops except for a leg stretch at Myalup services and home for 5.45 pm.

A great run but it did take a while to thaw out after!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #29
exile730
exile730

Oddometer: 67
Great write up, Rod! Those pix are hard to beat and they really catch the overall chilly status of the day. It was truly a nad shriveller! Great day out and glad we went after all. It really is always good to be out. New battery is ordered as the original had shat itself as first thought. Bloody hell. I am off to Jarrahdale shortly to collect a mint white DR650 tank I bought on eBay last night - I just need to track a white rear fender and the mighty DR can be Snow White one day and Big Bird the next!

Old Kwak ride in the morning with a pie along the way - happy days.

bikes and Yallingup

Rod in a very windy car park - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

12 weeks of winter to go - holy smokes!!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #30
rodmuzwa OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice day today so got out for a quick gravel run. Met Brian on his mighty DR at Dome Pinjarra then off up North Spur after a quick coffee. I was on Special K today as I needed to give her a blast on gravel. From North Spur it was on to Scarp Road where we found a cracking little spot called Oakley Dam:

From there it was on to Dwellingup where I found to my horror that the Blue Wren had sold out of pies! Damn it! Gutted I was. Not to worry, I survived. While there we were told that a biker had come off the road on one of the bends on Del Park Rd and collided with a tree. Only one winner unfortunately but thankfully the rider is still with us but with some serious leg injuries. Could have been much worse. Don't know the rider involved but if you read this best wishes to you! So, back down the hill home was a bit of a nightmare. Setting sun as we headed west was seriously blinding and made it difficult to see the bends in the road. Very conservative riding got us home safely though! A great ride as always and nice to test Special K on the gravel. She is certainly easier and more forgiving than Wee Strom on the slippery stuff! Brian and Mighty DR performed admirably as always! Always good to get out and it's nice to blow the cobwebs off after a shitty couple of weeks at work! As they used to say in the North of Scotland, stay between the dykes and shiny side up folks!