Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #4606
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I put Todd's fueling kit on my Stelvio and it is smooth at all RPM ranges now. No more vibration at 3800 or anywhere. It does not seem to have the snap that it once had but overall I am very pleased with the modification.

Marc
I truely believe that this is a misconception that I had also after having Todd install his kit and remap. I had said to him I thought a higher end 'umph' I used to have seems to be gone. But, in his kindly way, he sat me down, held my hand and explained to me that it wasn't gone. It was that all the other unumphed parts were umphisized, making a smoother, fully umphed pull thru all ranges.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #4607
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 408
OK, I snapped up that skinny NTX wheel and tire from Gobius. He was an absolute gentleman to deal with. The package arrived on time, exactly as described and at the stated price. I hate to see him leave the MG fold.

Peter Y.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #4608
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
I truely believe that this is a misconception that I had also after having Todd install his kit and remap. I had said to him I thought a higher end 'umph' I used to have seems to be gone. But, in his kindly way, he sat me down, held my hand and explained to me that it wasn't gone. It was that all the other unumphed parts were umphisized, making a smoother, fully umphed pull thru all ranges.
Good use of the word umph.

Marc
Old 04-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #4609
MotoG5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Well PooP!

Dropped the NTX today. Lost my footing on some gravel while parking. Found out what I suspected, I could not pick it up by myself. Help soon arrived and it was no big deal for two guys to heft it back up. As it was a non moving lay down very little damage to the bike. Just embarrassment and frustration to rider. Gong to have to really watch out if I am somewhere help my be a long time in coming but I love riding this beast so much I am going to keep at it. In my 50+ years of riding I have dropped a few bikes. This is just the first one I could not pick up on my own. This getting old crap can be frustrating at times.

=
MotoG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #4610
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoG5 View Post
Dropped the NTX today. Lost my footing on some gravel while parking. Found out what I suspected, I could not pick it up by myself.
Did you try backing into it with your butt on the seat and using your legs to lift it back up?

It's the classic way to pick up a 700+lb Harley.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #4611
MotoG5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Did you try backing into it with your butt on the seat and using your legs to lift it back up?

It's the classic way to pick up a 700+lb Harley.
Ya know. I did try something like that but I believe my technique was not correct after viewing the clip. I didn't have my butt on the seat putting to much load on my legs with out the leverage advantage that would have given me. Hope I don't have the opportunity to check that out anytime soon but thanks for the input. It may have done the trick.
MotoG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #4612
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This question may have been posed before but here goes.

Can ANYBODY who owns a 2013 U.S. Stelvio confirm their bike has the roller tappets?

I mean confirm, not suspect or supply references that it should have them.

I know some of you guys have 2013 models, anybody pulled the valve cover to see for sure?

Anybody with a late 2012???
Still nobody able to confirm???
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #4613
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,170
Quote:
You've asked this question multiple times on multiple forums....is it that big a deal? The bike is rock solid either way - if it's something that you think you'd like to ride then buy one. You won't be disappointed.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #4614
rockywidge
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
You've asked this question multiple times on multiple forums....is it that big a deal? The bike is rock solid either way - if it's something that you think you'd like to ride then buy one. You won't be disappointed.

I agree totally , having just picked up an 012 a couple of weeks ago . I previuosly had the 09 Griso with recalled cam done and that motor hauled ass with no problem for 3 years . The Stelvio is smoother yet in all rev ranges and I expect will last well into the future , roller bearings or not . Its a fantastic motor and well sorted out after being around for 5 years !
rockywidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #4615
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
I think the consensus is there is no consensus. Some claim that their '12s have rollers, some claim their '13s do, others claim their 13's don't. With conflicting info like that, I think the only way to know if YOUR bike has them is to pull the valve cover and look, be it a '12 or '13 model.

Welcome to Guzzi's. You get what you get.

If it matters at all, I will say that my '12 has FAR less valve train noise than my '08 Norge did, ditto with the '09 Stelvio that I rode. Does that mean my '12 has rollers? No clue, but I'll be able to confirm what MY BIKE has for you in about 600 miles when I do the 6200 mile service.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #4616
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
If it matters at all, I will say that my '12 has FAR less valve train noise than my '08 Norge did, ditto with the '09 Stelvio that I rode. Does that mean my '12 has rollers? No clue,....
-SM
The valve train noise has a few areas that can cause it, cam endfloat, rocker endfloat being the biggest - 08s like mine had no shimming on the cams and my right rocker clatters like a good 'un too (I'm even considering changing the top end for the sake of noise reduction alone!) - but it's mechanically sound
I hope...
Old 04-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #4617
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I think the consensus is there is no consensus. Some claim that their '12s have rollers, some claim their '13s do, others claim their 13's don't. With conflicting info like that, I think the only way to know if YOUR bike has them is to pull the valve cover and look, be it a '12 or '13 model.

Welcome to Guzzi's.

Blakebird,
Actually it is kinda a big deal to me. I looked at the design in the service manual and it's a pretty high pressure point. The leverage on the "pushrod/tappet" side of the rocker arms isn't very much and each rocker arm activates 2 valves. Most rocker arms use a 1.5 to 1.25 : 1 ratio in favor of the "lifting" side. The Guzzi rockers are very close to or at 1:1. I can see why they might have had failures with this design if the surface hardening wasn't top notch and the oil flow to the area adequate. I see the rollers as a significant design improvement primarily as a wear factor and if I'm going to spend $16k on the bike I want to have it included instead of wish it was there.

I have already determined it's the bike I want. I have test ridden the GSA, Explorer, Tenere (4x), and Multistrada, plus 2 Stelvios. I have asked owners their opinions privately, both on forums and people I've met in person. I have gone through the bike selection process and done my homework. The availability of roller tappets is the only unanswered question, a question posed to me privately by Todd E., and a good one at that.

Ya, no consensus, I can't believe it. What I can't understand is somebody with an 2013 hasn't pulled a valve cover and found out, it's about a 5 min job. Yup, I asked this same question on 3 forums with no hard fact responses. There is a great deal of discussion regarding this yet zero hard knowledge except for the one quote I found with the operative word "should". Even the "gurus" can't seem to tell what's accurate.

Sorry if this offends anybody, I'm just trying to obtain accurate information from owners, seems reasonable enough to me. I do appreciate that the most current flat tappet motors appear to be quite reliable, that's a good thing.

I have the choice of when and what I purchase. I have determined the 2012 I was looking at doesn't have them, pass. I'm actively searching (and working with my local dealer) to find a burnt orange 2013.

I'm ready to pull the trigger now but I can wait to get what I want, my Vee runs just fine in the mean time.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #4618
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,520
My 2012 Stelvio seems to have less valve noise than my 1972 Eldorado. I can't figure out why ????

Marc
Old 04-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #4619
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Blakebird,
Actually it is kinda a big deal to me. I looked at the design in the service manual and it's a pretty high pressure point. The leverage on the "pushrod/tappet" side of the rocker arms isn't very much and each rocker arm activates 2 valves. Most rocker arms use a 1.5 to 1.25 : 1 ratio in favor of the "lifting" side. The Guzzi rockers are very close to or at 1:1. I can see why they might have had failures with this design if the surface hardening wasn't top notch and the oil flow to the area adequate. I see the rollers as a significant design improvement primarily as a wear factor and if I'm going to spend $16k on the bike I want to have it included instead of wish it was there.

I have already determined it's the bike I want. I have test ridden the GSA, Explorer, Tenere (4x), and Multistrada, plus 2 Stelvios. I have asked owners their opinions privately, both on forums and people I've met in person. I have gone through the bike selection process and done my homework. The availability of roller tappets is the only unanswered question, a question posed to me privately by Todd E., and a good one at that.

Ya, no consensus, I can't believe it. What I can't understand is somebody with an 2013 hasn't pulled a valve cover and found out, it's about a 5 min job. Yup, I asked this same question on 3 forums with no hard fact responses. There is a great deal of discussion regarding this yet zero hard knowledge except for the one quote I found with the operative word "should". Even the "gurus" can't seem to tell what's accurate.

Sorry if this offends anybody, I'm just trying to obtain accurate information from owners, seems reasonable enough to me. I do appreciate that the most current flat tappet motors appear to be quite reliable, that's a good thing.

I have the choice of when and what I purchase. I have determined the 2012 I was looking at doesn't have them, pass. I'm actively searching (and working with my local dealer) to find a burnt orange 2013.

I'm ready to pull the trigger now but I can wait to get what I want, my Vee runs just fine in the mean time.
I don't know how to say this without offending....but if you are that worried about such a trivial thing, maybe a Guzzi isn't for you. Just sayin...
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #4620
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 377
Quote:
I'm actively searching (and working with my local dealer) to find a burnt orange 2013.

Elk Grove motorsports near Sacramento? I was in there two weeks ago and they had an orange one and I thought it was a '13 model.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote