ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
COLORADO DIRT
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Stickers!!!

This is from Ben's PDF, and should be close to actual size, the first orders are being shipped now so be the first to post your's!

SAVE OUR SPORT!!!!

photo SOS_Sticker_Final_zps3ad5cb3a.jpg

(Zach didn't get a FleaMarket post right and some Texans got all riled up so he will be back shortly.)
COLORADO DIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #17
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Oddometer: 487
Save our sport!!!

In addition to selling the SOS sticker, COHVCO is working on some t-shirt designs. Alex and I have been working on this for the new COHVCO design, it needs a little tweaking but we are open to any and all suggestions:

photo CO_STICKER_zps508b3252.jpg

I personally would love to see one with a dirt biker jumping over and taking the head off the Sierra Club hiker and the words "STOPPING THE SPREAD OF GANG GREEN" but I'm not so sure the board would approve it.

Any help with ideas would be greatly appreciated, we need to fight back.
SPREAD THE WORD, SAVE OUR SPORT!!
Z_HARSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
Rodzilla
Horny as Hell

Oddometer: 1,490
I would love a shirt that says: GOT ACCESS? on the back

and COHVCO on the front
Certified SAE J1287 sound tester
Rodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #19
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Good idea, thanks!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
OTB
Oh fer Chrissakes

Oddometer: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_HARSH View Post
In addition to selling the SOS sticker, COHVCO is working on some t-shirt designs. Alex and I have been working on this for the new COHVCO design, it needs a little tweaking but we are open to any and all suggestions:

I personally would love to see one with a dirt biker jumping over and taking the head off the Sierra Club hiker and the words "STOPPING THE SPREAD OF GANG GREEN" but I'm not so sure the board would approve it.

Any help with ideas would be greatly appreciated, we need to fight back.
Or you could have someone taking the heads off the dickweeds that were doing donuts in a rehab area and roosting roadside hills while running over the signage that says not to when I was in Moab last weekend. This was all right around the Sovereign trailhead. I put the signs back up and they were just run over again the next day. It makes it hard for me to defend my sport.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #21
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

I hear you, that is why we need to calmly stop these guys and explain that this is why our trails are disappearing when we see that type of disrespect.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,790
Does Ben Janin have a login here on ADV?
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #23
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,964
Gang,

I think the SOS sticker program is an outstanding fundraiser. Please purchase your sticker, but more importantly, please join COHVCO and read your newsletters. And please.....become active with your voice and letter writing.

COHVCO is so critical to us riders, as we are the organization that defends and protects the OHV fund. This is the fund where nearly all of the trail work is funded through grants. Many of our trail clubs across the state apply every few years and receive funds up upwards $250k.

COHVCO now has two attorneys working endlessly to make sure that the travel management plans are fair and accurate with the field offices. This is a huge issue right now and support is needed.

COHVCO needs our support. Please buy a sticker.....and become a member.....just do it online.

As for RMAR, we hope our rides can raise substantial funding for the fight this year. Plead consider joining us for a ride.

Also......an RMAR RIDE is coming to Idaho in a year or two, to raise funds for the fight in the Potato State!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarbronco View Post
Our trails in Idaho are in serious danger too. The Greenies in DC are trying to shut us all down. Most guys I know who ride don't even know, or seem to care. But will freak when they show up to the trailhead and find it gated. But then, it will be too late.

It may be just my opinion, but this crap seemed to start about the same time that ATV's got popular and made it easier to carry trash up in the mountains.
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #24
wbunt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Done . Thanks for posting this .
wbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #25
Fred Garvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Cohvco

done. Thanks.
Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #26
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

You guys rock!!!!

No, no, no, thank you!!!!

Well put John, we have a long uphill battle. We also need to be writing our politicians and volunteering where we can.

I was watching a movie about the Yellowstone River and they had an interesting quote: "All victories are temporary and all defeats are permanent"

COHVCO needs everyone's help, yes to donate money and actually by purchasing a sticker you are becoming a "friend" of COHVCO which is the morph of the prior membership set-up.

As for Ben, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have an ADV log-in, I will talk to him on Wednesday and ask him though.

He wants half a dozen t-shirt ideas for our call, keep the ideas flowing!

Old 04-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #27
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

Help Keep 9 Million Acres Open For OHV Use

Help Keep 9 Million Acres Open For OHV Use
Take Action!
Contact your Representative and Senators Today!

On April 18, U.S. Rep. Rush Holt (D-N.J.) and U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) introduced America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act, H.R. 1630 and S. 769, respectively. This legislation, first introduced in 1989, would designate 9.1 million acres in Utah as Wilderness. This Wilderness designation would make the land off-limits to off-highway riders.
In the House, of the bill’s 60 current cosponsors, not a single one represents an area that would be affected by the proposed Wilderness designation. The same is true in the Senate. Of the 11 cosponsors, not one represents the people most affected by this designation.
Holt, the House bill’s original sponsor, is from New Jersey. The proposed area of new Wilderness designation is nearly twice the size of his home state.
We need your help to stop both the House and Senate versions of this bill. The fastest way to reach your representatives or senators is to call them. You can find contact information for your elected officials here by entering your zip code into the website. Additionally, a prewritten email is available for you to send to your representative and senators by following the “Take Action” above and entering your information.
We must remain vigilant on this legislation. If this misguided effort becomes law, the effect on the OHV community would be devastating for generations. Please contact your representative and senators right away and urge them to oppose H.R. 1630 and S. 769.
Please join the AMA to help us fight these efforts to end responsible motorized recreation. More members means more clout against our opponents, and your support will help the AMA fight for your rights – on the road, trail, racetrack, and in the halls of government. To join, go toAmericanMotorcyclist.com/membership/join.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #28
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

For anyone not on the COHVCO email list:

This appeal for your comments was passed on to us by Colorado TPA. Please take the time to access the outline of facts and submit your comments - time is short - comments have to be submitted by Tuesday, April 30.

Hi All-

I'm writing you because I need about 10 MINUTES of your time, to send a comment regarding Captain Jacks.

I've either ridden Captain Jacks trail with each of you, or wish I had, that's why you're getting this. It's our awesome moto singletrack right here in Colorado Springs, or it WAS. It is currently CLOSED to motorized use. You can help with this letter, the forest is sympathetic and listening.

To submit your comments, you can send snail mail to:

Bear Creek Watershed Restoration Project
Pikes Peak Ranger District
601 S. Weber Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
(719) 477-4233 fax

or email to:

bcc@fs.fed.us

The situation is fairly nuanced. To help you construct a letter, click here for an outline of facts that are relevant. Choose the ones that appeal to you for your letter.

If true (and I suspect it will be for each of you) Please clearly state in your note that:
- You care about both ecology and recreation
- That one of the recreational uses you value is motorized
- That motorized recreation has been a part of the solution on Bear Creek thru volunteerism and grant funds, and will continue to be in the future if allowed.

If you want to/ can do more than send a letter, please consider donating to the Colorado TPA: http://coloradotpa.org/

Any questions, please feel free to ask!

Thanks,

Ned Suesse

1) The general direction of the proposal is positive.
a. Balanced approach between continuing recreation in a sustainable way, and habitat protection
b.

2) Concerns with proposal include:
a. Lack of data and targets
i. The approach proposed is intensive and expensive, in both time and effort, and there are no studies to support the necessity of it.
1. No data to show that motorized use has impacted trout more than any other use
2. No data to show that stream health is dimished relative to historical motorized trail vs. historical non-motorized trail
3. No data to show that the trout are in any danger at all, save from a prolonged period of drought.
ii. No attempt has been made to isolate reasonable targets for stream habitat/ morphology that take into account the current drought situation and the different trails and uses in the area.
1. The proposal essentially does everything that can be done for the motorized section of trail, and very little on the non-motorized section, when the impacts are clearly present in both areas
2. A reasonable alternative would be a more balanced approach that deals with hot-spots throughout the drainage, and targets a similar improvement as moving half the trail and ignoring half the trail as in the current proposal.

b. Timing of reroutes, and ability to complete in a reasonable timeframe
i. Demand for riding is very high in this area- now no singletrack opportunities exist.
ii. Loss of grant money to assist with the reroute- due to the delays caused by the process, the grant money secured by the CMTRA to deal with maintenance in this area may be lost.
1. CMTRA has funded more than $500k of work in the Bear Creek area since 2000.
2. No other user group has or will contribute time, energy, and funds to creating sustainable recreation.
iii. One possible solution to satisfy demand, diminish the appearance of discrimination, and provide a recreational opportunity is to open a motorized loop from Frosty’s park, including portions of trails 668, 701, and 720.

c. Loss of system trail mileage- need for additional mileage outside the Bear Creek drainage
i. OHV registrations are growing more than 10% every year
ii. Opportunities for riding are decreasing
iii. The forest should seek opportunities to at least replace lost mileage, if not create some additional new trail mileage.

3) Discrimination of current motorized closure
a. The current closure is ineffective at protecting fish and habitat, because it will not change erosion.
b. The current closure does not mitigate any non-motorized impact to the creek
c. Neither the current closure nor the future proposal adequately address erosion issues on 666 and High Drive
d. All of these facts create a perception of anti-motorized discrimination. The Forest must manage their lands in a sustainable and fair way, and the current situation does not accomplish that.

Z_HARSH screwed with this post 04-26-2013 at 04:30 PM
Old 04-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #29
Z_HARSH OP
Like margarine?

And.....

This alert is being sent to you by COHVCO on behalf of Senator Udall. Because we, at COHVCO, believe strongly that the public should be very engaged in these types of decisions we encourage you to attend and participate. Please not the date and time and mark it on your calendars.

U.S. SENATOR MARK UDALL
Armed Services, Energy and Natural Resources, and Intelligence Committees

PLEASE ANNOUNCE: Udall to Hold Listening Session in Jefferson County on Proposed Browns Canyon National Monument

SATURDAY, May 18, 2013, Mark Udall will host a listening session in Jefferson County to hear community comments about his Browns Canyon National Monument and Wilderness Area proposal. The draft bill, based on more than a year's worth of community input, would cover 22,000 acres between Salida and Buena Vista on the Arkansas River, including 10,500 acres of new wilderness.

"I am proposing a new national monument for Browns Canyon so that future generations of Coloradans can enjoy the unique mix of exciting whitewater and wilderness so close to Colorado's Front Range. Thanks to community input, this proposal will preserve Browns Canyon, create jobs, support our economy and protect our incredible quality of life," Udall said. "I want to further engage the community to improve this proposal, so we can preserve this remarkable landscape and boost the local economies near this treasured part of Colorado."

Under Udall's draft proposal, the Browns Canyon National Monument will continue to be managed by the Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service in cooperation with the Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife. Udall's proposal maintains existing uses, including river running, hunting and angling, grazing, and motorized access on all designated roads in the area. The proposal also requires that the agencies develop a coordinated management plan for managing visitor use and resources.

Community members unable to attend this meeting can submit comments via www.markudall.senate.gov/brownscanyon. This meeting is the second of two public meetings that Udall is holding regarding the proposal. The first was on April 13 in Nathrop.

This event will take place SATURDAY, May 18:
9:30 a.m. MT
Udall will host a listening session to hear community comments about his Browns Canyon National Monument and Wilderness Area proposal.
Where: Foss Auditorium, American Mountaineering Center, 710 10th St., in Golden.
11:30 a.m. MT
Udall will host a media availability to discuss his Browns Canyon National Monument and Wilderness Area proposal and his community meeting.
Where: Foss Auditorium, American Mountaineering Center, 710 10th St., in Golden.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #30
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,647
done, thanks.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote