User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
ktmman1503 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Licola to Dargo Ride Nov.14/15 Great weekend ride

A great ride had by all three of us last weekend November 14th 15th Nov...

Myself (Craig), Don & my son Drew left the mornington peninsula around 7:00am on Saturday morning..

After getting some fuel and some food... we arrived at Licola around 11:00am.

Was getting pretty hot, I would say after putting on our gear that it would have been around 33c.

No jackets today, however we did decide to take them with us on the ride, as it was expected to rain on the Sunday.

I decided to wet down my T-shirt before starting off and what a great decision, I was a lot cooler as we headed down, or should i say up the Tamboritha Road ...

Don... KTM640 LC4

Drew DRZ400E

After a quick stop to check things and make sure our overnight gear was not falling off, we continued on to the Moroka Road intersection.

We headed up the Moroka Road stopping off for lunch around 12.30pm.. We found it a little warm, but cooler then it was back at Licola..

Spent around an hour or so cooling off and having some lunch..

We then continued on for around 3 or so k's before turning right into Marathon Road.. Marathon road is more of your typical off road 4WD track, and is a lot of fun..

We managed after a few k's in to take the wrong turn continued a k or so down Marathon where we should have turn left onto Castle Hill Road.

Don was pretty good in working our we were on the wrong track so we turn around and headed back turning into Castle Hill Road.

Castle Hill Road is another fun 4WD track with a few good steep sections.

A few k's down we turned right into McDonald Gap Track, which also has a few tricky sections.. I would think twice about taking anything bigger then our 640's on this track unless you are an accomplished rider..

We stopped for a break, drink and snack at the intersection of 65 Firetrail Track as above..

After continuing on we then hit Reedy Creek Track where tha track opened up and ended at the main sealed Dargo Road, around 25k south of Dargo.

So you can cross from Licola from Dargo without going via Billy Goats Bluff or Wonnangatta..

We then refueled at Dargo General store and headed to our overnight stop at Pam and Hermans place, Dargo B&B, formally known as Dargo Winery.

After a great meal, movie, sleep, and breakfast, we headed off the same way back...

Next morning after the climb up to McDonald Gap Track.

Drew... wanting to go...

After continuing along McDonalds Gap track and climbing the spot marked "Steep" on the "Roof Top Map", we arrived back at the McDonald Gap Track and Castle Hill Road.. Stopped for a break.. Nice spot and the temp was not too bad either..

We then checked the map and decided to head up to the Pinnacles Look Out for lunch.

Castle Hill Road passes some great views as it gets closer to the Pinnacles.

We arrived at the Pinnicals car park around 11.30am, so after leaving Dargo around 8.00am we made good time and the temp was not bad at all.

Don decided to strap on his Air Hawk for a more comfortable ride back along the main roads... Good idea..

Now for the walk to the look out... Next time we take the road.. As the is a hill that you can walk up, but that take too much energy.. Take the road.

Now after the recent fires, they have built a brand new Fire Watch facility with a viewing platform for the many people that frequent the look out.. Good job.

The view from the viewing platform back to the hill... The bikes and car park etc are on the other side.

Me and the son Drew...

After having some lunch, we headed back along the main road "Pinnacles Road" taking a small detour along "Billy Goat Bluff Track" turning into Kent Road which then brought us back onto the Pinnacles Moroka Road, which lead us back to Dargo.

However, for a little bit of extra fun we decided to take a trip up "Mount Margaret Track" to the heli pad... Great climb with top views at the top..

And after a quick view of the mountain tops we headed back down returning to Licola around 2.30pm.

Great ride..

Will write up a track summary shortly..

Bikes:
Don KTM LC4640 1999
Craig KTM LC4640 1999
Drew DRZ400E 2009

Ride Summary:
Licola to Marathon Road Turn off - ok for most bikes, gravel road, can be a little slipy in dry or wet.
Marathon Road / Castle Hill Track / McDonalds Gap Track / Reedy Creek Track - good condition however could be a handful on "Steep" sections with a large bike say KTM990, good rider could handle it with care. Not too steep, good fun with a little rock. We did it on a KTM640 LC4, no problems. DRZ400 perfect.
From Licola to Dargo via our route was approx 145k.
Great views in places.
Conditions for us Nov. 14/15 were hot to warm with much dust. Used Radio comms so we could stretch out.

Stayed at Dargo at Dargo B&B formally known as Dargo Winery (at the time, cost was $55.00 per person with meal and breakfast, they are also licensed to serve grog. Nice people Pam and Herman.

ktmman1503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
mattherat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
L plates !!! what a great place to learn !!! I plan to be down that way next week, coming from sydney on a wee strom, thanks for the rr and great pics
mattherat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
oz_mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Good to see a Father and Son out on a ride together,,, thanks for the RR

Ride With My Kids 24OCT09
Ravensbourne 18OCT09
Orange & Green 03OCT09
Duck Creek Road
Head Gate rd and more
Almost Border Ranges
Monsidale Rd

The Bike Collection

07 KLR650 FOR SALE
05 XT250 FOR SALE
94 ST1100 Sold
86 XV750 Sold
77 RD350 Sold
02 DL1000
DRZ400E Dreaming
oz_mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:49 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
We always enjoy father and son rides!! Thanks for sharing it
Old 11-19-2009, 04:25 AM   #5
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
Thanks for the Father and Son...RR

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #6
Road Kill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Thumb

I'm looking forward to trying some of those roads/tracks in the near future

It looks like it's a good place to ride when the weather's hot.

Thanks for the RR.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,547
Excellent places to ride. Thanks for sharing.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
pugsley
Little Man

Oddometer: 635
Nice report mate,I noticed from one of your earlier rides,you also run a set of motard wheels on the 640.....what kind of wheels do you use?If ya don't mind me asking!
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #9
hattah79

Oddometer: 888
I (Hattah 79) can answer this As I have the other 640
Craigs has Talons and I genuine KTM wheels
Sizes are F 120/ 17 B 150/ 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsley
Nice report mate,I noticed from one of your earlier rides,you also run a set of motard wheels on the 640.....what kind of wheels do you use?If ya don't mind me asking!
hattah79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #10
pugsley
Little Man

Oddometer: 635
Thanks fellas
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,158
Thanks for posting, I'm going to Dargo in a few days, might go the way you went + head down billy goat from the pinnacles.
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote